Now Reading...

Just finished Unseen Academicals, by Terry Pratchett - probably the worst Discworld novel I've read. Was his health already impacting his writing at that point?

I thought it was good, but far from the best of his Discworld books. Part of that might be due to the fact that I'm simply not conversant with soccer/futbol/"footie" which much of the book was concerned with. (The same unfamiliarity with source material also affected my appreciation of Feet of Clay.)

Currently re-reading Servant of the Empire, by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts.

I loooove that series.

Fantasy realms patterned after the usual British/European model (king, court, retainers, dukes, earls, etc.) are a dime a dozen. How many fantasy realms are patterned after a neet mix of Aztec and Asian influences? :kickass:

NR: Burning Shadows -- A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, set in the waning days of the Western Roman Empire and the time of Attila the Hun.
My sole regret so far is that there isn't a 'period' map included in the book (so far, anyway). Most of CQY's books include historical maps, and her historical details are wonderful!

I am actually finally getting around to reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and am on Hero of Ages now. All the books are interesting and well-written, but for whatever reason it took a bit for me to get into the first one. I would read it when I was going to bed and fall asleep before getting very far...however the last two books have the opposite effect. I start reading them and can't go to sleep.

I've been reading some of the Ravenloft books. I recently finished "Heart of Midnight" which I had read before. Meh. I then read "Death of a Darklord" and really liked it. I'm now reading "Scholar of Decay" and so far it's pretty good. I keep checking the used book store for the books I'm missing in the collection.

I thought it was good, but far from the best of his Discworld books. Part of that might be due to the fact that I'm simply not conversant with soccer/futbol/"footie" which much of the book was concerned with. (The same unfamiliarity with source material also affected my appreciation of Feet of Clay.)

I really liked Feet of Clay. :)

I haven't read Unseen Academicals yet, since it's not quite out in Paperback at the moment. Once it is, I'll get it and read it. The only Discworld books I got kind of bored with were Mort and Eric. Not sure why. Fortunately, those were also two of the shorter books in the Discworld series.

I'm not sure Mort and Eric are actually "officially" part of the series...I always had the feeling that Eric in particular was a sort of "adjunct" offering.

I truly love the Discworld series as a whole, too. I don't usually get tongue-tied around authors, but I was on a panel at ChattaCon one year (about online SF/fantasy fan communities) and I looked up....and Terry Pratchett, the con's Guest of Honor that year, was settling into a chair near the back of the audience. Woah! That was tooo weird for me. :)

Mort is actually part of the Death trillogy - Mort, Reaper Man, and Soul Music.

Reaper Man had me laughing especially hard. Though I did get a kick out of Death in Soul Music, riding a motorcycle and weilding a flying V that could play the Anti-Note. XD

The merits of this book were briefly discussed in this thread in '07, but I've got to post about the fact that I've just cracked the 20th anniversary edition of Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

I'd heard of Dan Simmons for years, mostly in sci-fi circles because of the success of Hyperion, but never read any of his stuff. The year that Manticora was announced for PPUSA and I jumped on the bandwagon with their discog, I picked up Hyperion to better understand their album. It was an interesting surprise reading the pilgrims' stories and recognizing Simmons' odd sense of creativity in a series of stories that didn't necessarily need to be in a sci-fi setting...but it worked.

When I went to look into his other works, I was surprised to find out that the guy wasn't JUST a sci-fi writer. Who knew? Likewise, I didn't even really know (until reading CC's intro last night) that the guy started out writing horror, then branched out. Anyway...since then, I've come to appreciate a lot of his books. I dig his Joe Kurtz crime trilogy (pretty lightweight stuff for Dan), I really like his King-ian Summer Of Night and the sequel even better. Darwin's Blade was cool. The Terror was a great ride, and, even though Drood frustrated me at times, I was glad I took that ride as well. I've got no real interest in his latest, and I've had The Crook Factory sitting around gathering dust for a while, but I figured I'd bust into the new version of Carrion Comfort.

I should have realized that I was in trouble when I started reading the introduction and it never seemed to end. It's 22 freakin' pages long...an introduction! Like most things that Dan writes, it's totally longer and more complex than it really needs to be, but I was glad to have read it. Even if the book doesn't pan out, I highly recommend the intro due to insight on Dan's history and the industry in general.

When I encounter crap like this, however, it makes me wonder if I'm truly ready to sit down and digest CC: [The concept of his main characters]..."may be an evolutionary example of arrested neocortal natal development combined with rare frontal-lobe overdevelopment that creates neuron spin axis perpendicular to physical polar magnetic field axis differenting their brains as a form of crude holographic generator rather than a mere wave-front collapsing interferometer, as is the case of the rest of us." Dude...really? Obviously, Dan is operating on a slightly different intellectual plane than the rest of us...just check out the guy's website...sheesh...how many hours are in a day where this guy lives?...astounding.

Anyway...50 pages into the actual story now and I'm totally on board. I can already tell that this will be overwritten like hell, but the trip will probably be worth it in the end. According to Dan's intro, his original final product was around 1,500 pages. If this densely typed 770-page version of CC in my hands is the judicially edited version, what must the "writer's cut" have been like?

Ah, well...looking forward to some good creepy moments ahead. I recently read Straub's Ghost Story for the first time as well, and that was a rich journey of creeps and chills...so I'm hoping for the same here...!

By the way...has anybody tackled Black Wind?

I really liked Carrion Comfort. It was really different. Check out Children of the Night from him. Like Carrion Comfort, it's not really scary, but it's a twist on the classic vampire stuff. It's entertaining.

I just finished the first two Ringworld books by Larry Niven as well as Patriot Games by Tom Clancy.

I just started the Giants series by James P. Hogan.

I really liked Carrion Comfort. It was really different. Check out Children of the Night from him. Like Carrion Comfort, it's not really scary, but it's a twist on the classic vampire stuff. It's entertaining.

Thanks for the tip on Children Of The Night...never even heard of that one. I will make an effort to track that one down.

100 pages into CC now and I'm surprised at how much sex is in it...ha!

instinct.jpg

Simmons' Summer of Night was wonderful. Oddly enough, the metal connection there is that I was told -- very firmly, for him -- to read that book by Kirk Hammett of Metallica. :)

I just finished the first two Ringworld books by Larry Niven

Ringworld is one of my very favorite SF novels ever. Some of the sequels have been very good and some have just been good, but all are worth reading.

If you're new to Niven, I highly recommend finding a used copy of the old anthologies Neutron Star and Tales of Known Space -- these were my introduction to him before reading Ringworld itself, back in high school, and they worked brilliantly as I never looked back.

I just started the Giants series by James P. Hogan.

Excellent, excellent books. Nice guy, too.

Hogan's book Voyage To Yesteryear is the only workable utopia I've ever encountered. Positively brilliant...it's been used as an instructional tool in college sociology classes. :kickass:

Destiny's Road is my favorite Larry Niven. (also one of my favorite Whelan covers, too.)

Carrion Comfort is poorly written, as Dan Simmons books go. Interesting in concept, but the execution is pretty bad, although I believe that was one of his first books, too. All of the * Night books are awesome, though.

I'm presently reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson; I've been meaning to pick up a book of his for a while now, and B&N finally accommodated me by having a book that wasn't sealed into a multipack.

When I'm done with that, Tad William's Shadowrise should have arrived; I found the hardcover on Amazon for $10. I've been trying to avoid Amazon after their recent behavior regarding pulling titles by entire publishers that didn't want to play their game with regard to the Kindle, but my mom wanted something for her birthday that I couldn't find in either of the local bookstores that *was* on Amazon.

I see the new Robin Hobb is out, and I thumbed through it, but I think I'll wait for paperback, unless I find a similarly good deal on the hardcover.

I'm presently reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson; I've been meaning to pick up a book of his for a while now, and B&N finally accommodated me by having a book that wasn't sealed into a multipack.

I just finished the last book (Hero of Ages) yesterday. You will definitely want to read the rest, IMO they get better after the first. There are a lot of questions you end up having going through the first two books, and many actually are answered in the end - and without as much of the deus ex machina so many writers rely on due to making stuff up as they go. In the end there a lot of things that bring you back to what were seemingly insignificant moments or details in the other two books that end up tying things together and show how well executed the larger plot is. Good stuff.