Now Reading...

I'm still working my way through a reread of Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series (two trilogies). I first picked these up at the used bookstore in high school, and I used to reread them pretty religiously, every year or two. It's been several years this time around, and for once that old cliche of "like sitting down with old friends" holds true, at least for me. I look forward to my lunch break at work every day so I can read a few more chapters, even though I know everything that's going to happen. This is largely where I picked up my love for sociopolitical fantasy novels the size of doorstops, with a cast of hundreds. (the author was a former English and Social Studies teacher, and it shows.) It's in the same *family* as Martin in terms of content type, but not nearly as complex nor (quite as) bloodthirsty. Parts of the overarching plot do have flaws, but it's got very memorable characters (which is highly important to me), a lot of momentum, and a solid mix of serious and silly.

(and it has dragons!)

I'm still working my way through a reread of Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series (two trilogies). I first picked these up at the used bookstore in high school, and I used to reread them pretty religiously, every year or two. It's been several years this time around, and for once that old cliche of "like sitting down with old friends" holds true, at least for me. I look forward to my lunch break at work every day so I can read a few more chapters, even though I know everything that's going to happen. This is largely where I picked up my love for sociopolitical fantasy novels the size of doorstops, with a cast of hundreds. (the author was a former English and Social Studies teacher, and it shows.) It's in the same *family* as Martin in terms of content type, but not nearly as complex nor (quite as) bloodthirsty. Parts of the overarching plot do have flaws, but it's got very memorable characters (which is highly important to me), a lot of momentum, and a solid mix of serious and silly.

(and it has dragons!)

Then you'd probably like the Hythrun Chronicles written by Jennifer Fallon. The series is seeped in politics and intrigue, especially the second trillogy, which is actually set before the first trillogy. There's certainly intrigue and politics in Medalon, but they're more the focus of Wolfblade and the two books that follow it. She's also excellent at character development. Some of the best I've read. :)

I finished Steven Boyett's Ariel -- very bittersweet ending. Doesn't quite ruin the whole book, but you begin to wonder what the point of it all was.....

I'm still working my way through a reread of Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series (two trilogies).

Could you list the books in good "reading" order? I know I've got at least one or two of them squirrelled away here somewhere, but I don't think I've read them.

Just finished A Darkness at Sethanon (my re-read of the Riftwar books).

Now I'm reading Drood, by Dan Simmons.

Next will be another section of Erikson's Memories of Ice. (I'm reading Erikson by parts, rather than by entire books).

Ken

Just finished A Darkness at Sethanon (my re-read of the Riftwar books).

Now I'm reading Drood, by Dan Simmons.

Next will be another section of Erikson's Memories of Ice. (I'm reading Erikson by parts, rather than by entire books).

Ken

I approve of this entire post...!

Seriously, I'll be interested to see what you think of Drood when you're done...

I approve of this entire post...!

Seriously, I'll be interested to see what you think of Drood when you're done...

You are clearly very wise :)

Like The Terror, I wish Drood had been trimmed by about 100-150 pages. But, all in all, I thought it was really good. I liked how I alternated between feeling sorry for and then despising the Wilkie Collins character. I think Simmons leaned a little too much toward the tactic of using an unreliable narrator while not leaving enough "hooks" to go back and figure out what was really what when it was all said and done. But even so, there don't seem to be too many unresolved mysteries about things - I'm mostly puzzled about what all the stuff regarding Edward (Edmund?) Dickerson was all about after all.

I also felt I never really got to know the Dickens character as much as I should have.

Reading Drood made me want to go back and read (or re-read) a few Dickens novels, especially Bleak House and The Pickwick Papers, but damn, those are long books and I have too many Erikson books to get through yet!

Ken

48150546.JPG

Just finished American Gods, Probably going to reread the Chronicles of Amber next. Or maybe I should Finish Good Omens first...

Just finished "Shards Of A Broken Crown", the last one in the Serpentwar Saga by Raymond Feist. Getting ready to start the Riftwar Legacy series now. I've been on a roll lately with Feist....

The Last Wish, by Andrzej Sapkowski

It's the first book of the series upon which the RPG game The Witcher is based. The dark flavor is similar to what you see in the game, and the writing is good, not amazing. It reminds me of GRRM's gritty world, while not quite mirroring his sense of cynical wit.

This first (chronologically) book is a series of short stories starring Geralt. The "real" series starts with the second book, Blood of Elves. The books that follow are not yet translated into English.

Just finished Unseen Academicals, by Terry Pratchett - probably the worst Discworld novel I've read. Was his health already impacting his writing at that point?

Currently re-reading Servant of the Empire, by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts.

Up next, either House of Chains by Steven Erikson, Iorich, by Stephen Brust, or Lisey's Story, by Stephen King.