Now Reading...

OH GEEZ! DO NOT judge his writing on that book. It was an early book and not very good. The Black Company is great! The entire series is good, though some books are better than others. The first book is really good though.

The Garrett, P.I. books are also quite good. They're easy to read, fun, and share Cook's unique humor.

However, IMO his best work is the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I would expect that a lot of people wouldn't like that series though, as it is not an easy read. Check out The Black Company though. If you don't like it, I'll buy the book off of you and send it to my nephew's unit in Iraq.

I was given this book to read then pass along. I'll send it to you for forwarding to the troops if you like.

Scott Adams - "Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain!" It's a collection of short essays by the creator of the Dilbert comic. I'm just getting into it, but a few of his comments so far have been laugh-out-loud funny.

The last 10 days have been great!

altar-eden-lp-james-rollins-paperback-cover-art.jpg

51QIJ1uZoGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

impact-douglas-preston-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

After what seemed like 6 months, but was probably about 2, I FINALLY finished Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson. I decided to read something simpler to clear my brain, so I'm working on Cell, by Stephen King. I haven't read his last few (Cell, Duma Key, etc) since I absolutely detested From A Buick 8 and decided to give up on him at that point, but I guess I missed him too much to hold out :)

Ken

Iorich by Steven Brust. It's the latest Vlad Taltos book.

I finished The Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Great series. I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It seemed like he didn't know how to end it, so it just kind of trailed off. It's not like the story wasn't wrapped up, but more like after the big conflict was resolved, he just kept going and going without really knowing when he should stop. It wasn't that bad an ending, but it was just weaker than the rest of the series. Well worth reading. I couldn't put it down.

The Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Well worth reading. I couldn't put it down.

Great series, very dark view of things in the end.

Just finished Time Travellers Never Die, pretty good read by Jack McDevitt.

Now reading Pirate Latitudes by Michael Chricton...another good one.

I finished "Iorich" by Steven Brust. It's his latest book in the Vlad Taltos series. I finished it in two or three days. I told yardleybates that the only thing I didn't like about these books is their so damn short. Then I realized that the book is actually about 320 pages. While not long, that's not that short. These books are so easy, and so much fun to read that I just fly through them. However, one of the things that I really like about Steven Brust is that the expects you to exert a little mental effort too. He doesn't explicitly explain everything to you. He'll go through a conversation and then the character will pause and he'll say, "then I got it" or something like that. That's all. You have to figure out what he figured out.

I discovered that there is a Penny Arcade comic based on the first of the Vlad Taltos books called Jhereg. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/14/

I started "Through Stone and Seas" by Barb and J.C. Hendee last night. It's the latest in the Noble Dead series (Dhampir was the first of those books).

"Victory of Eagles" - Naomi Novik, and enjoying it because it's picked up some of the sparkly that was missing in the last couple books - it's an alternative history with dragons used in aerial warfare (think Anne McCaffrey meets Patrick O'Brian). While they're standalone books, there's a connecting theme that so far has culminated in Napoleon invading Britain. I keep pimping the first book in the series, "His Majesty's Dragon," and hopefully the fact that Peter Jackson has picked it up for filming (and blurbs how much he loves the book besides) will bring in some more readers.

"Victory of Eagles" - Naomi Novik, and enjoying it because it's picked up some of the sparkly that was missing in the last couple books - it's an alternative history with dragons used in aerial warfare (think Anne McCaffrey meets Patrick O'Brian).

Wow, that sounds like fun. I didn't notice it earlier on the shelf at B&N, but I'll make a note of it. :kickass:

I just finished reading

World War Z: The Oral History of the Zombie War.

It's written like a non-fiction. It's about a guy who is working on a documentary about how zombies came to be and the logicisitcs of fighting them.

For example, if we kill a zombie, it dies. If a zombie kills us, we join their force. They don't have any needed resources to come after us (they even are in the ocean), but we need all kinds of things such as bullets, food, etc.

Kind of fun to read about it in a logistical way.

-MetalRose

Novik's Temeraire novels are absolutely outstanding. Start from the beginning, though! :)

The first three are available in a trade paperback omnibus version. Well worth the price...

Reading: Makers by Cory Doctorow. Not Sci-Fi per se, just different near future fiction. Not as interesting as, say Down and out in the Magic Kingdom, or When Sys Admins Ruled the World (my favorite from him), but pretty good.

NR: "Return to the Labyrinth" vol. 2 and 3, ,manga-style adaptations of a 'maybe-sequel' to the movie Labyrinth. They're well-done. It's almost as if the rest of the sequel film had been storyboarded. :)

In honor of one of my favorite authors, I wish to promote the Spenser series of books by Robert B. Parker for any of you who may be looking for some wise-cracking, hard-hitting, socialogically-delving, private eye mysteries.

Parker's Spenser character was his Boston version of the classic private-eye, specifically paying tribute to Raymond Chandler and his PI, Philip Marlowe. He began writing his first novel in 1971, the same year he completed his PhD, his dissertation being based on the fictional exploits of such characters as created by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Ross Macdonald.

Robert B. Parker died of a sudden heart attack on Monday afternoon, January 18, at his desk in his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was 77 years old.

To date, there are 37 Spenser novels (and one new Young Spenser novel), full of testosterone, action, love, and angst; 9 Jesse Stone novels (9th one coming in February) full of less action but more human experience; 6 Sunny Randall novels, a female version of Spenser, very enjoyable with less testosterone; and a myriad of other books, including some Westerns (Appaloosa was made into a movie recently).

Whether it's your cup of tea or not, I mourn the loss of an author who was a true master of his craft. R.I.P. Robert...I'll crack a bottle of Iron Horse in your memory tonight!

In honor of one of my favorite authors, I wish to promote the Spenser series of books by Robert B. Parker for any of you who may be looking for some wise-cracking, hard-hitting, socialogically-delving, private eye mysteries.

If you're into that kind of story, you would probably like Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. novels. They're very similar to what you describe but with a fantastic (as in fantasy) twist. My Dad hates fantasy stuff, but he really liked these novels.