Now Reading...

Finally finished The Gathering Storm (by Jordan and Sanderson) after my copy was stolen during my car break-in with only two chapters left. (It was the most aggravating thing about the break-in aside from the smashed window.) Replacement copy from Amazon for $11.75, which made me feel better. :)

Basically, I found it extremely satisfying. Even beginning to talk about some of the plot and events would be spoiler material, so suffice it to say that it was well-worth the return to the series. :kickass:

For those who have read the series but don't want to go back and re-read the books in preparation, the WoT Encyclopedia proved to be invaluable to me.

NR: David Weber and Eric Flint, Torch of Freedom, in keeping with my preferred practice of mixing up SF, fantasy and other stuff.

I've put Weber and Flint's Torch Of Freedom on hold because it is the second in a series...not that THAT's likely to cause me grief normally, but in this case I really felt like I was missing too much. :heh:
So I picked up the first book, Crown Of Slaves, at a bricks-and-mortar bookstore (hey, it occasionally happens) and have just started it. Publishers Weekly called it "one of the best books of 2004," so I'm quite curious about it....

I read "The Book of Fate" by Brad Meltzer on my last trip to Seattle. Very fast-paced and entertaining.

Now reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Interesting that it has a bit of a common theme with "The Book of Fate" -- which I picked up at Barnes & Noble on a whim.

51JF8OzMpXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I read "The Book of Fate" by Brad Meltzer on my last trip to Seattle. Very fast-paced and entertaining.

Read it and LOVED IT... And it is a fast read!!!!

I just finished reading Bruce Boudreau's autobio, Confessions of a Hockey Lifer; halfway thru Theo Fleury's autobio, Playing with Fire (soooo goooood), also reading Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's 'Brimstone' and got two more books on stanby when these are done... I plan ALOT of reading during Christmas break for this is my last week of work!! :headbang:

Glenn Cook - The Black Company

I really should read these someday.

I mean, I've bought plenty of books FROM Glenn Cook, as he used to be a bookseller at ChattaCon for years, and he was always a really nice guy. (Plus he always had the very latest Brit editions of the Discworld books before anyone else.)

Except.....I read his book Swordbearer and thought it was pretty bad. Not only was it a cheap pastiche of Michael Moorcock's Elric books, but there was one simile in there that dropped you completely out of the sword-and-sorcery mood, completely wrecking that "willing suspension of disbelief" upon which good fantasy is based.

Still, I'll probably pick up the first book in the Black Company series someday and read it. All of my friends who've read it say it's excellent, and as I said, I owe it to him for being a nice guy.

Tried to start on a Jo Walton book, King's Peace. So poorly written that I trashed it along with my lunch on my second day of trying to read it and I couldn't stop rolling my eyes long enough to get anywhere.

Not sure what's next. CS Friedman's The Wildling, maybe. Michael Whelan ripped himself off with that cover art, so reminiscent of Snow Queen and Summer Queen.

I really should read these someday.

I mean, I've bought plenty of books FROM Glenn Cook, as he used to be a bookseller at ChattaCon for years, and he was always a really nice guy. (Plus he always had the very latest Brit editions of the Discworld books before anyone else.)

Except.....I read his book Swordbearer and thought it was pretty bad. Not only was it a cheap pastiche of Michael Moorcock's Elric books, but there was one simile in there that dropped you completely out of the sword-and-sorcery mood, completely wrecking that "willing suspension of disbelief" upon which good fantasy is based.

Still, I'll probably pick up the first book in the Black Company series someday and read it. All of my friends who've read it say it's excellent, and as I said, I owe it to him for being a nice guy.

OH GEEZ! DO NOT judge his writing on that book. It was an early book and not very good. The Black Company is great! The entire series is good, though some books are better than others. The first book is really good though.

The Garrett, P.I. books are also quite good. They're easy to read, fun, and share Cook's unique humor.

However, IMO his best work is the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I would expect that a lot of people wouldn't like that series though, as it is not an easy read. Check out The Black Company though. If you don't like it, I'll buy the book off of you and send it to my nephew's unit in Iraq.

So now I've got Dawn on a Distant Shore, the second in a series which is a historical fiction spinoff of Last of the Mohicans - it was recommended to me as an alternative to Diana Gabaldon's stuff.