Now Reading...

I enjoyed it don't get me wrong, but I guess what I mean by "lite" is that they were actually pretty humorous books. I laughed a lot more than I found myself enthralled by the drama or the grimness of it all. Compare it to something like George R.R. Martin's stuff...

Hmm. That's interesting. I would have called The First Law series more dark than the Martin books. But then again, humor doesn't make it not-dark to me. For example, The Black Company books by Glen Cook (told you I'm a fan boy) are dark, but damn funny.

Hmm. That's interesting. I would have called The First Law series more dark than the Martin books. But then again, humor doesn't make it not-dark to me. For example, The Black Company books by Glen Cook (told you I'm a fan boy) are dark, but damn funny.

Nah the Ice & Fire books to me are much more dramatic and there is more of a sense that things actually matter in them. There are a lot of characters I hate in those books and some I really liked, to the point that it pisses you off when Martin almost inevitably kills them.

In the First law books, even torture loses its horror because its all done with a wink and a nod. Lots of characters die, but there's usually a joke alongside it so it never seems that important. Most of the characters are largely incompetent at whatever they're supposed to be doing and spend the books bumbling from scene to scene. Its not a bad thing its just different than what I expected. It wasn't some dark, epic tale as much as just a fun, kind of unique little story. The fate of the world supposedly hangs in the balance of course (as it always must) but most of the characters don't take it that seriously except Bayaz, so as a reader it was kind of hard to as well. IMO of course.

I finished "October's Baby" in A Cruel Wind by Glen Cook. While a lot of it reminded me quite a bit of some of the scenarios in The Black Company stories, it was still an excellent book. It was pretty much war throughout, and nobody does war better than Cook. I liked it better than the first book.

Now reading the 28th book in the Drizzt Saga, The Ghost King by R.A. Salvatore. Also got a nice book haul over the week, that one andRichard Lee Byers: Dissolution, Book 1 of the War of the Spider Queen series and Mel Odom: Threat from the Sea Trilogy. Nice got some books to read for a little while.

Bear

Now reading the 28th book in the Drizzt Saga, The Ghost King by R.A. Salvatore. Also got a nice book haul over the week, that one andRichard Lee Byers: Dissolution, Book 1 of the War of the Spider Queen series and Mel Odom: Threat from the Sea Trilogy. Nice got some books to read for a little while.

Bear

The War of the Spider Queen series is fantastic. It's very, very Drow. :D

In the First law books, even torture loses its horror because its all done with a wink and a nod. Lots of characters die, but there's usually a joke alongside it so it never seems that important. Most of the characters are largely incompetent at whatever they're supposed to be doing and spend the books bumbling from scene to scene. Its not a bad thing its just different than what I expected. It wasn't some dark, epic tale as much as just a fun, kind of unique little story. The fate of the world supposedly hangs in the balance of course (as it always must) but most of the characters don't take it that seriously except Bayaz, so as a reader it was kind of hard to as well. IMO of course.

I am halfway through the first book, and my assessment concurs with yours so far. The conspiracy-laden story is quite interesting, but the writing is sophomoric (I can tell this guy is a rookie) and the "dark" elements seem too tongue-in-cheek to take seriously -- not to mention the fact that I haven't, as yet, really developed a "bond" with any of the characters. It has kept my interest enough for me to buy the second and third volumes in the series, but GRRM this is not. Still, I like it better than Steven Erikson's first book, which did not inspire me to continue reading.

Just finished Last watch; good, but rather anticlimactic.

Agreed again. Incredible series, but this book is definitely the weak link. For the record, I think Lukyanenko is one of the two fantasy writers I've read who most closely resemble GRRM's style. Scott Lynch is the other one.

Being a recent fan of Jim Butcher, I picked up an anthology called "Mean Streets" featuring him and three others - two of which I am hooked on now. Simon R. Green (both the Drood and Nightside series), and Thomas Sniegoski (the Remy Chandler series). Outstanding fantasy material from two authors very new to me. Latest Preston/Childs Pendergast novel is excellent as well. Also, "Fragment" by Warren Fahy - kind of an odd cross between "Jurassic Park" and "Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne.

I just finished off the aforementioned The Girl Who * * * books, and was *planning* to start on one of the books in my TBR pile, but while I was in Books A Million for coffee yesterday, I found "The Historian" in hardcover on the remainder shelf for $7. I eyeballed it back when it first came out and decided to wait for paperback, but this works just as well. I love to travel, and I've been thinking hard about making Italy and/or Eastern Europe my next stop, so the premise pushed all the right buttons. I'm only a couple chapters in, but the writing is decent. We shall see how it pans out...

I recently finished Dragon Haven, by Robin Hobb, unfortunately her worst book yet. With Soldier's Son and this most recent duology, she has - for me - gone from must read to an author who starts off really well but loses steam and doesn't seem to know where to go.

Now I'm about halfway through Midnight Tides, by Steven Erikson.

Next up, Under the Dome, by Steven King. Hopefully, it'll be good vacation reading.

Ken

I recently finished Dragon Haven, by Robin Hobb, unfortunately her worst book yet. With Soldier's Son and this most recent duology, she has - for me - gone from must read to an author who starts off really well but loses steam and doesn't seem to know where to go.

Huh. I really liked that one, and the second one. I really want to know what happens next, since she left a ton of loose ends.

I didn't even finish the first Soldier Son book.

Been laid up recovering from a goofy illness, so I've been making a dent in my stash...at least the low-brain picks:

Just finished:

In The Dark by Richard Laymon -- just recently jumped on the bandwagon of all the Leisure Books horror authors, devouring certain selections by Ketchum, Lee, and Laymon. Some good, demented stuff...

Bad Men by John Connolly -- Have read all of his Charlie Parker books and loved them...very well-crafted crime novels with a slight supernatural bent (just enough to keep things appropriately creepy). I love the settings in Maine, love the local lore, love the dark atmosphere that the books create. Bad Men was a stand-alone and totally worth it.

Now reading:

Relentless by Dean Koontz -- picked up for $2 in hardcover. Not a big Koontz fan, but I've enjoyed half dozen or so of his books over the years...just whenever the synopsis grabs me. Relentless is exactly that...very speedy and quirky but has enough of a "wtf?" kinda plot to urge me to tear through the 2nd half.

Rock on!

Shit...what am I?...the fucking threadkiller?

A little behind the times on this one, but I picked up The Dirt dirt-cheap at Half-Price books in pristine condition. Never been the biggest Crue fan, but I was obviously along for the ride since Too Fast For Love broke out. I will say that The Dirt is a fantastic rock bio (or auto-bio in this case). You, obviously, get all the dirt, but you get it from just about everybody who was involved at the time, not just the band. Plus, the formatting of the whole thing just made it incredibly stylish and entertaining in it's own right without ever "breaking character."

Fantastic read...god...what a bunch of fucking shitheads those guys are...!

Rock on!

Now Reading:

Bonk: The Curious Coupling between Science and Sex by Mary Roach

Caught her interview on the Daily show and decided to have a read from the Library. Very funny, snarky look at the science of sex.
also:

Pathfinder: The Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

Satisfying my gaming reading by reading some older adventures, this one's really good, some very dark horror elements(including a hillbilly ogre clan who would fit right into The Hills Have Eyes). If I wasn't already running a game for my friends, I'd run this game too. It's really good.

In the queue:

Kraken by China Mieville.
Other Mary Roach books.

I've been on a reading/buying binge lately. Just finished R.M. Meluch's The Myriad. Good, light actiony scifi with a bit of a strange ending. Prior to that I read R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. Very good, I've got the follow on book but probably won't dive into it right away. The series was pretty dark so I'm going to stick with the light stuff for now. Right now I'm going even lighter with Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi. In the queue are books by Peter F. Hamilton, more Meluch, Tad Williams, Jack McDevitt, Allen Steele, S.M. Stirling, Terry Pratchett, David Weber and so on. So many books so little time...