Now Reading...

Yay, Pratchett, Tad Williams, and Weber. :)

I'm just about finished with 1633 (by Weber and Eric Flint) and will probably just read the next book in order. (It's called 1634.....who'da thunk it?)
This one was much lighter on action than the first book -- not too surprising, there! -- but still had heaps of good history interlaced in it. I like reading books where you learn things you weren't expecting to wander into. :)

I decided to take a break from alternate history SF after all, and I'm about halfway through Dragon's Egg by Dr. Robert L. Forward. Found a copy cheap up at McKay in Chattanooga and it had been many years since I read it. Still one of the best "hard" SF books I've read.

Next up will be 1634: the Baltic War. Ahh, ironclads prowling through the Skaggerak and the Kattegat. :kickass:

Hannah's Dream - not a lifechanging story, but an enjoyable few hours of light reading with really well-done dialogue.
Drood - I'm only about a hundred pages in, so I can't make any final judgment yet, but while Dan Simmons always walks a fine line between weird and awesome, this is leaning a lot more towards the weird than the awesome.

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. It's not a sequel to the books of "The First Law", but it does include some of the same characters. I picked it up this morning, and can't seem to stop reading it.

Finished Dragon's Egg -- brilliant it still is, too -- and have embarked on 1634: The Baltic War.

That makes me want to re-read it. Great book. I love some good hard sci-fi. I remember reading a lot of James P. Hogan around that time too. "Two Faces Of Tomorrow" and others.

After reading the description, I'm curious to read 1632, but I don't know if I can get into the later books. Once the political stuff starts getting going, I don't think I can hang. Sounds like a good one of. I sort of bailed on Weber with all the Harrington books. They just didn't hold my interest, and I love military sci-fi.

Moving some boxes and finally found the paperback of "The Last Colony" by John Scalzi I had bought a year ago at McKays on a drive. Not too far into it, but I really liked "Old Man's War." I could have sworn I read the in between book, "Ghost Brigades", but now I'm not so sure....

That makes me want to re-read it. Great book. I love some good hard sci-fi. I remember reading a lot of James P. Hogan around that time too. "Two Faces Of Tomorrow" and others.

Hogan's hard SF novels are some of my favorites from that genre. Two Faces Of Tomorrow was a good one, and Voyage to Yesteryear is brilliant (a workable Utopia story). And of course the Giants trilogy beginning with Inherit the Stars -- a copy of which once featured in an episode of Robotech. :)

After reading the description, I'm curious to read 1632, but I don't know if I can get into the later books. Once the political stuff starts getting going, I don't think I can hang. Sounds like a good one of.

Sure, give it a try. I think it's worth it.

I sort of bailed on Weber with all the Harrington books. They just didn't hold my interest, and I love military sci-fi.

There was a middle period where I think Weber lost focus, but the last two have certainly amped things up a lot. Certain deeply-laid enemy plans are now coming to a head.

I am wanting to start reading a good long fantasy series book(already read Robert Jordan's books).

What do ya all think about steven erikson's series of books? Is the series worth reading? good? bad?
Thanks!

James Ellroy - Black Dhalia : This is the first crime ficition novel I've ever tried to read. I'm only about 1/3rd through it, but enjoying it greatly.