Now Reading...

Is she any good? I keep hearing things but haven't had the gumption to check her out.

Recently I decided to start this new thing where I'm going to read every book an Iron Maiden song is based on. I started with Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose; I recommend it so far. The horrendously slow plot is offset by really cool philosophical debates.

Ha! I am a huge Maiden fan. I am also a huge fan of that book (the Sean Connery movie wasn't bad, either). However, I had no clue that Sign Of The Cross was about The Name Of The Rose...shows how much love I've given The X Factor over the years...

Learn something every day.....

Just finished the Feed by Mira Grant (a pseudonym by Urban fantasy author Seanan McGuire). It's definitely the first time that I can remember being totally skeeved out by a horror book. It's a yarn set about 25 years in the future about 3 bloggers as they walk the campaign trail of a Presidential candidate in a world where zombie outbreaks can happen at any time. Definitely worth a read if you can find it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Newsflesh-Book-Mira-Grant/dp/0316081051[/ame]

Just finished (finally!) The Dreaming Void, by Peter F. Hamilton - a book guaranteed to make Jaime scream and have fits :) I liked it a lot, and would have liked it more if I had better continuity in reading time, but the start of school and my quest to watch the first seasons of Damages on DVD cut into my reading time!

Now I'm reading the third section in The Bonehunters, by Steven Erikson.

Next will be the second book in the Night Angel trilogy, by Brent Weeks.

Call me a Johnny Come Lately, but i just watched "Avatar" for the first time yesterday and i have to say something, yes it is a good movie, but I think that Cameron got his idea for the movie from Two books that are still in my reading rotation. "Midworld" by Alan Dean Foster and "Call me Joe" by Poul Anderson. Any thoughts from anyone who has read either book.

Call me a Johnny Come Lately, but i just watched "Avatar" for the first time yesterday and i have to say something, yes it is a good movie, but I think that Cameron got his idea for the movie from Two books that are still in my reading rotation. "Midworld" by Alan Dean Foster and "Call me Joe" by Poul Anderson. Any thoughts from anyone who has read either book.

I haven't read Midworld, but Call Me Joe is very definitely an inspiration, as is Ursula K LeGuin's "Word For World Is Forest." (short novel, easy read, LOTS to think about.)

Got an Amazon shipment in today - several Sara Donati books (not anything anyone here would be interested in, I think; I picked up her series because it's billed as being nearly as good as Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books), Brent Weeks' The Way Of Shadows, and Jacqueline Carey's Santa Olivia.

I'm in the middle of rereading The Name of the Wind, though, so it's going to be a while before I get to any of those...

R.A Salvatore Gauntlgrym

51CAqjsQOAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Santa Olivia)
Great book, IMO her best since the Sundering duology and the first Kushiel series. Anxiously awaiting the sequel, which is now in the hands of the editor as we speak.

Agreed. I enjoyed it a lot!

Now reading: Paragenesis: Stories From the Dawn of Wraeththu, edited by Storm Constantine and Wendy Darling. The stories have been somewhat uneven, but most have been good and at least one, "The Burned Boy," was excellent.
The proofreading leaves a lot to be desired and I really wish I'd had a chance to look the ms over before final publication, as I've edited and proofed books from the publisher, Immanion Press, before.

and I'm currently reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Just curious to know what you think of this. It's one of my all-time favorite fantasy series (although Last Watch is somewhat of an anticlimactic finale), but I haven't heard from too many people who have read it.

I myself am working on:

Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie... this series is becoming sort of dull. I like Major West's character transformation, but aside from that, the story arcs seem to be droning on and on, especially the Logen and pals one.

A Game of Thrones, by GRRM -- the electronic version, on my brand new Kindle. Re-reading this, because I've been wanting to revisit the series before the show begins (or before Dance comes out???), and I haven't read the early books in many years. I'm noticing a LOT of small details that I seem to have glossed over during my first two reads of the series.

On the subject of Kindles (or e-readers in general)... I'm noticing that A Game of Thrones has a fuck-ton of typos in it. Not enough to make it unreadable, but certainly enough to cause me to take notice. I'm assuming the book was put into electronic form by some sort of text-recognition software that makes a lot of mistakes. For example, every instance of the place-name "Dorne" is spelled "Dome" in the e-version. Also, there are weird punctuation marks randomly placed throughout the text which don't belong. Does anyone else using an e-reader have this sort of problem? Is this a function of e-books in general? Or, just ones written before the invention of the e-book? Or, perhaps, just ones sold in Amazon format?

Just curious to know what you think of this. It's one of my all-time favorite fantasy series (although Last Watch is somewhat of an anticlimactic finale), but I haven't heard from too many people who have read it.

I really enjoyed it. I have Day Watch up next. Right now I'm reading Dragon Strike, the 4th book in the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight.

I'm begining to doubt Dance of Dragons will ever be released.

Me too, Magius. I gave up on the series a long time ago. I've pretty much just slapped together how I think it ends in my own head, and have contented myself with that.

just got the new Bill Bryson book, and would like to start it over the weekend.

Caught some interviews with Mr. Bryson this week on WNYC and The Colbert Report about the book (which is titled At Home). It's similar perhaps to the kinds of storytelling history series by James Burke (of Connections fame) where you look at what items of technology or miscellany are found today in houses from room to room, and why these things came to fit here.

A kind of question answered is this: Why do we place Salt and Pepper on tables instead of other seasons/spices?

Bryson has written some killer books in the past, travelogues (A Walk In the Woods you might have read).