Now Reading...

Oooh, good timing. I finished Way of the Shadows a month or so ago. It was OK - nothing special, but fun in a swashbuckling kind of way, enough to make me want to read the second. I just finished the second book, Shadow's Edge, yesterday. And wow, what a difference one book makes. The second book in that trilogy is awful. I'm not going to read the third. I've seen Weeks blasted for some plot elements that are too similar to Jordan, but I'm not worried about that. In Shadow's Edge, I was worried about too many tangential characters that show up for maybe 15 pages out of the 450 or so total, and seem to have no point; plot lines that drag on way past their expiration date; writing that alternates between some nice wry humor and the ability of a 12 year old to provide good characters and interaction between them. It's like he couldn't decide whether he was writing a "regular" fantasy book aimed at grownups, or a new version of Batman, in a fantasy setting, aimed at teenagers.

The thing that drove me the most nuts was trivial, but irritating. One of the plot lines that takes waaay to long to resolve is set in a deep dark dungeon, which get called .... seriously now ... "Hell's Asshole". Really, Brent? That's the best you can do? This rivals Terry Goodkind's naming of one of his characters "Death's Mistress" as the winner of the Worst Name For A Person or Place Ever in Fantasy Award. Congratulation, gentlemen.

Ken

I soldiered through all three books in that trilogy and was not impressed at all.

Does anyone know where to find or have any books by Alan Dean Foster. Especially his book "The Last Starfighter"

LOVE Glen Cook. The Black Company is one of my all time favorite series. I forced myself to get throuh IofT book 1, and had little to no enjoyment out of it. Like you said, it was hard work! I don't want to be required to keep a flowchart and an outline of all of the characters and factions, and it felt like I would have needed that to know what the hell was happening.

I haven't had the desire to get books 2 or 3. I was thinking of rereading #1 one day, but I'll skip it if you are saying that it doesn't get any easier on the reread.

Steve in Philly

I found this page: http://www.glencook.org/index.php/Instrumentalities_of_the_Night
Thinking of the religions and countries as medieval religions and countries makes it much easier. I was going to create a map for reference.

I did find that after getting through the first few chapters, the book reads really easily, and is compelling.

Although I'm reading the Bill Bryson book . . room by room, I am about 40% through the audiobook of Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens in the car, and really enjoying it. The library also has The Graveyard Book, but should I try to find anything else by Neil first? (for the car).

Btw, love this book so far.

Although I'm reading the Bill Bryson book . . room by room, I am about 40% through the audiobook of Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens in the car, and really enjoying it. The library also has The Graveyard Book, but should I try to find anything else by Neil first? (for the car).

Btw, love this book so far.

American Gods is absolutely brilliant. It's easily my favorite Gaiman work.

I've always checked this thread now and then, but over the last few days I actually read it (all 35 pages) in its entirety. When you read it en masse there are a few observations that jumpt out at you:

* We (the PP community) read a lot of books. Glenn reads a sh#@&oad of books.

* I've read a good number of the books in the thread, so I think I was able to pull some good future recommendations from the thread.

* I realize how gunshy I've become to starting yet another HUGE and convoluted series. I think The Wheel of Time burned me out, and I gave up on that after "Crossroads of Twilight" when I realized that I would have to reread the series for a 3rd time to figure out what the heck was going on. Well, that and RJ spent 700 pages per book talking about women smoothing out their skirts. I have no desire to finish the series, even though I love Sanderson. I've been able to tackle series with a finite number of books (Simmon's Hyperion quadrilogy, Mistborn trilogy) or 'lighter' reads (Hobb's Assassin/Fool/Ship series), but couldn't bring myself to get back into the huge ones open-ended ones. I'll rectify that now

* Because of this burnout, I have both "A Game of Thrones" and "The Lies of Locke Lamora" sitting on my bookshelf. I've heard raves about both. I need to decide which series to tackle. I have tons of other books to read, but I'll start one of those as well.

* Pellaz thinks almost every author is "a nice guy/girl". Except Mercedes Lackey. Oh, and he has received a lot of recommendations from Kirk Hammet. Of Metallica. :p

* People here should check out Paperback swap. http://www.paperbackswap.com
In case you haven't heard of it, it's a place to swap books through the mail. I've been using it for a I've been using it for 2 years now and I'm really impressed. It's free, and you can find a lot of good things on there. If you sign up and use me as a reference, I get a book credit. (PM me for link). However, even if you don't use me as a reference, I think it's a great site for getting new books cheaply, and more importantly for helping you to get rid of all the books sitting on your shelf once you've read them.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Oh, and I'm currently reading China Mieville's "The Scar". He is a recent discovery for me, and I loved Perdido Street Station. Hopefully this second one (for me) holds up as well.

Steve in Philly

Read A Game of Thrones if you want to read one of the best fantasy novels ever, but if you're burned out on long-running, convoluted series, that is definitely not one to pick up. It's like beginning an abusive relationship.

I would sugest anything by Guy Gavriel Kay if you want high-caliber fantasy without a long committment. I think he's probably closest to Martin in terms of intelligence and real emotion in his storytelling.

Oh, and I'm currently reading China Mieville's "The Scar". He is a recent discovery for me, and I loved Perdido Street Station. Hopefully this second one (for me) holds up as well.

The Scar is a less-interesting story, but it is better-written than Perdido Street Station. PSS is, quite obviously, the product of a young and inexperienced writer, whereas The Scar shows much improvement in China's writing skill.

I used to be a rather voracious reader, but I'm in a slump right now -- I'm in the middle of something like five or six books right now and haven't finished one in months. :yell: I'm not sure what brought this on, but it's really frustrating.

Some of the books I started reading and put down for one reason or another:
Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Eyre Affair, Jasper Fforde
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
The Years of Rice and Salt, Kim Stanley Robinson
annnnd Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh.

Anyone have any remedies/suggestions for which book to trek through first? I'll never progress through my endless "to-read" list at this rate. :cry:

American Gods is absolutely brilliant. It's easily my favorite Gaiman work.

Seconded - everything else I've read from him so far hasn't really been able to measure up.

Just finished Black Dhalia by James Ellroy. A fantastic book. It is my first foray into crime fiction and I found it to be quite rewarding. I'm not sure how other books are, or how Ellroy's other books are, but this one becomes as much of an exploration of character as it is about the actual crime itself. Highly recommended.

I've always checked this thread now and then, but over the last few days I actually read it (all 35 pages) in its entirety. When you read it en masse there are a few observations that jumpt out at you:

* We (the PP community) read a lot of books. Glenn reads a sh#@&oad of books.

No kiddin'. Where does he find the TIME?!?! :)

* Pellaz thinks almost every author is "a nice guy/girl".

'Cause they ARE! Well, except maybe for Richard Pini. :)

Except Mercedes Lackey.

In fairness to "Misty," she was a guest at Dragon*Con this past summer and there were NO reports of secret assassins lurking about, NO reports of tantrums and NO reports of membership badges being thrown around. Apparently, she "got better." :)

Oh, and he has received a lot of recommendations from Kirk Hammet. Of Metallica. :p

Forever and a day ago, nowadays, but Kirk batted a thousand with his book recommendations. (Summer of Night, Boys' Life and one or two others.) Praise be to the bookworms! :heh:

Read A Game of Thrones if you want to read one of the best fantasy novels ever, but if you're burned out on long-running, convoluted series, that is definitely not one to pick up. It's like beginning an abusive relationship.

Truer words were never spoken. Damnit, I'd realllllllllly like to know how that story ends.

I would sugest anything by Guy Gavriel Kay if you want high-caliber fantasy without a long committment. I think he's probably closest to Martin in terms of intelligence and real emotion in his storytelling.

+1

I'd also suggest Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series, which begins with The Dragonbone Chair. Great books...and I'm still kicking myself for not getting those cover illustrations from Michael Whelan when I had the chance. (Missed them by no more than a week; all sold out.)

I'd also suggest Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series, which begins with The Dragonbone Chair. Great books

Thanks.

I've read Kay's "Tigana" after much hype. I thought it was pretty good, but perhaps not worthy of all of the praise. I've also read the (very large) Tad Williams series you reference. Pretty good, but not breaking any ground.

Steve in Philly

I've read Kay's "Tigana" after much hype. I thought it was pretty good, but perhaps not worthy of all of the praise. I've also read the (very large) Tad Williams series you reference. Pretty good, but not breaking any ground.

I like GGK, but he has a lot of hits and misses. I liked Lions of al-Rassan the best, but Last Light of the Sun was so boring I couldn't finish it, and I didn't particularly like the Arthurian trilogy either. With regard to Tad, MST isn't my favorite series from him - it's Otherland. (Most people discovered him with MST; my first was Tailchaser's Song when I was a kid.)

Greg Keyes has a good (and complete!) quad out that starts with The Briar King - not groundbreaking either, but a very satisfying read with good prose.

Yesterday i found a shit load of books by Alan Dean Foster at a local second hand bookstoreneedless to say i picked them up, included was: "Cachalot", "Drowning World", "phylogenesis" and 5 others. Color me a happy Camper.

With regard to Tad, MST isn't my favorite series from him - it's Otherland. (Most people discovered him with MST; my first was Tailchaser's Song when I was a kid.)

I'd have suggested Otherland, but I thought the OP was looking for high fantasy-types series. :)
Otherland was great -- and completely not what I was expecting after reading the blurb on the back of the first book. (And it was STILL great. :kickass: )