Now Reading...

That is one of the worst covers I have ever seen. What is it exactly?

I like the covers on some of Cook's early books as well as his more recent ones.

It's a depiction of the Black Company setting a guardian demon upright on the Plain of Glittering Stone. He was toppled during an earthquake. It's not entirely accurate as he's supposed to be pinned to a throne with silver daggers, not a cross.
None of the books have particularly good covers IMO, but we all know what they say about judging books that way.

The entire Booster Gold comic series, including the one from 1986.

BoosterGold32.jpg

And before you ask, yes. He is the greatest hero of all time.

Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarche, 1634: The Bavarian Crisis. As predicted in reviews on Amazon, this is really a footslog. I very seldom quit reading a book in mid-stride, but I might make an exception here.

After reading Paragenesis I'm also dusting off an early-period Wraeththu short-story I began writing awhile back, and will make an effort to at least complete it. :saint:

Finally reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.

I also just finished Intrigues: Book 2 in the Collegium Chronicles by Mercedes Lackey. Despite my dislike for the author as a person, her books are like crack to me. I just can't stop myself.

Reading Christopher Moore's Dirty Job now. I finished his Lamb earlier this week and have You Suck on the horizon. Life is good.

Lamb surprised me with its ultimate depth. After reading it, I struck up an e-mail conversation with Mr. Moore. When he found out my profession, he picked my brains, resulting in the manner of death that opens A Dirty Job. I have an inscribed copy around here somewhere that reads "Thanks for the fatality!"

If you haven't already done so, pick up Fool. It gives Lamb a run for its money.

None of the books have particularly good covers IMO, but we all know what they say about judging books that way.

I liked the cover for "The Black Company". It's what attracted me to the book in the first place. The artwork isn't the best, but it captures the tone of the book pretty well IMO. The cover of "Shadows Linger" was one of the worst covers I've ever seen. It looked like a 12 year old of average talent (or lack thereof) drew it.

The_Black_Company.jpg

IMO, most of the books of The Glittering South have pretty good covers. I don't like She Is the Darkness though, as I hate covers that include images of the main characters that don't jive at all with the way I imagine them.

I just re-read "The Phoenix Guards" by Stephen Brust. I've read it a few times before. I finished the last book I was reading and needed something, but couldn't get to the bookstore. BTW, did I ever mention how much I HATE airport bookstores (though the used bookstore in Milwaukee rocks)? I picked up "The Three Musketeers" to reread that, but then I decided that I'd like to read the "funny version" and read "The Phoenix Guards". I love that book, and "Five Hundred Years After".

Now I'm rereading "The Tyranny of the Night" by Glen Cook. It's book 1 in the "Instrumentalities of the Night" series. Book 3 comes out at the end of November. I forgot how much hard work reading this book is. There are so many factions, and each faction has multiple names/nicknames, and their leaders have many names/nicknames/titles. It's really confusing. It's worth it though IMO.

Lamb surprised me with its ultimate depth. After reading it, I struck up an e-mail conversation with Mr. Moore. When he found out my profession, he picked my brains, resulting in the manner of death that opens A Dirty Job. I have an inscribed copy around here somewhere that reads "Thanks for the fatality!"

If you haven't already done so, pick up Fool. It gives Lamb a run for its money.

Fool was hilarious, but didn't have the same heart as Lamb. That book (almost) made me want to believe.

I agree, Lamb has far more heart than Fool. However, both had my wife wondering if I had finally lost in as I unsuccessfully tried to suppress giggles.

I just finished Wintertide, the 5th book in the Riyria series. It was the weakest of the series IMHO. I just started Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I'm reserving judgement at present. At the very least, it is more entertaining than the other book I'm reading: The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.

I agree, Lamb has far more heart than Fool. However, both had my wife wondering if I had finally lost in as I unsuccessfully tried to suppress giggles.

I just finished Wintertide, the 5th book in the Riyria series. It was the weakest of the series IMHO. I just started Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I'm reserving judgement at present. At the very least, it is more entertaining than the other book I'm reading: The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.

Fool was a real laugh out loud book.

I never got into Sanderson, though he did an admirable job with the Wheel of Time closer (so far). I'm out of new stuff, so I'm re-reading the Repairman Jack series.

I finished Santa Olivia. I've come to the conclusion that Jacqueline Carey has amazing prose, but the only real sparkle she had in actual storytelling was the original Kushiel trilogy. Still, even a weak JC book is a thousand times better than most of its peers. Except for that crappy revisionist LOTR fanfic she wrote. ugh.

Started on ... um. Way of the Shadows, I think it's called, by Brent Weeks. I also would class him in "good writer, storytelling needs more sparkle," BUT I haven't read enough to say that opinion is locked in yet. Good writing makes up for a lot of flaws.

I picked up Halo Evolutions on the remaindered table, not because I've ever played Halo (one of these days I will remedy this) but because a good friend of mine has a story in it, co-written with Jeff Vandermeer. I can't wait to see the day when she has something of her own on the shelf.

Started on ... um. Way of the Shadows, I think it's called, by Brent Weeks. I also would class him in "good writer, storytelling needs more sparkle," BUT I haven't read enough to say that opinion is locked in yet. Good writing makes up for a lot of flaws.

Oooh, good timing. I finished Way of the Shadows a month or so ago. It was OK - nothing special, but fun in a swashbuckling kind of way, enough to make me want to read the second. I just finished the second book, Shadow's Edge, yesterday. And wow, what a difference one book makes. The second book in that trilogy is awful. I'm not going to read the third. I've seen Weeks blasted for some plot elements that are too similar to Jordan, but I'm not worried about that. In Shadow's Edge, I was worried about too many tangential characters that show up for maybe 15 pages out of the 450 or so total, and seem to have no point; plot lines that drag on way past their expiration date; writing that alternates between some nice wry humor and the ability of a 12 year old to provide good characters and interaction between them. It's like he couldn't decide whether he was writing a "regular" fantasy book aimed at grownups, or a new version of Batman, in a fantasy setting, aimed at teenagers.

The thing that drove me the most nuts was trivial, but irritating. One of the plot lines that takes waaay to long to resolve is set in a deep dark dungeon, which get called .... seriously now ... "Hell's Asshole". Really, Brent? That's the best you can do? This rivals Terry Goodkind's naming of one of his characters "Death's Mistress" as the winner of the Worst Name For A Person or Place Ever in Fantasy Award. Congratulation, gentlemen.

Ken

Now I'm rereading "The Tyranny of the Night" by Glen Cook. It's book 1 in the "Instrumentalities of the Night" series. Book 3 comes out at the end of November. I forgot how much hard work reading this book is. There are so many factions, and each faction has multiple names/nicknames, and their leaders have many names/nicknames/titles. It's really confusing. It's worth it though IMO.

LOVE Glen Cook. The Black Company is one of my all time favorite series. I forced myself to get throuh IofT book 1, and had little to no enjoyment out of it. Like you said, it was hard work! I don't want to be required to keep a flowchart and an outline of all of the characters and factions, and it felt like I would have needed that to know what the hell was happening.

I haven't had the desire to get books 2 or 3. I was thinking of rereading #1 one day, but I'll skip it if you are saying that it doesn't get any easier on the reread.

Steve in Philly