Now Reading...

Today I read, "Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose " by Tony Hsieh (the CEO of Zappos). I had a 4.5 hour deadhead to LA, and I read pretty much the whole book on the flight. It is a surprisingly easy read for a "business book." I pretty much couldn't put it down. It was told in a very normal voice; not at all formal. If you ever though about starting a business, or are work in a business, it's worth reading. The last part of the book is about the science of happiness, and was my favorite part. Great book!

It's one of the best books I've ever read involving first contact with an alien species.
Very highly recommended.....but then again, there are very few Niven books that I wouldn't also highly recommend. :)

Finished "The Mote in God's Eye" AWESOME book. Started "Drowning World" by Alan Dean Foster(my favorite SciFi author):headbang::headbang:

Finished "The Mote in God's Eye" AWESOME book.

Told ya!

Just finished the new Wheel of Time book. Fantastic stuff. It's been a long time since I was excited about this series, but now that the end is in sight I can't wait till the next book.

I've just started it. After I finished the previous one, I felt the same way, so it's good that Towers of Midnight will continue that awesome feeling.

Oh, and WoT is a pretty damned good song by Blind Guardian, too. :heh:

It's just good to see these plotlines that have unraveled over the course of 5-6 books get tightened up and all the players start to line up for the Last Battle.

I'm about a hundred pages in and it's clear that things are REALLY starting to move. For example, it's pretty obvious that the Ashaman and the Aes Sedai (and other female channelers) are going to HAVE to form powerful circles together to wield the One Power during Tarmon Gai'don, and we're seeing this start. (Gee, only a year or two late. :))

As Gandalf put it so well in RotK: "The board is set. The pieces are moving...."

Finished Mieville's The Scar. I don't think I liked it as much as Perdido Street Station, but I still love his fresh writing style and very original world. I'm tracking down his other books, and I'm hoping he maintains interest over multiple books set in this world.

I just started Zig Zag, by Jose Carlos Somoza, as recommended off of this thread. I can't decide if it's supposed to be an adventure or a horror book. I'm not usually into the pure adventure genre, but I like to shake things up from time to time.

Steve

Amazon recommended that to me, I think from buying some other books you've mentioned. Please let me know how it is.

I forgot to post on "The Way of Kings" by Sanderson.

First, I did enjoy the book. He is absolutely the best in fanstasy now in terms of world building and new magic systems.

Second, I enjoyed all three main characters. That's rather rare for me.

Third, the pacing is a bit slow in places. However, the last 100 pages made the previous 900 worth every minute.

Finally, I cannot wait for the second volume now that the set-up is essentially over. It did not end on a cliffhanger, but an opening for some major plot and character development.

I'm reading "Surrender to the Will of the Night", which is the latest book in the Instrumentalities of the Night series by Glen Cook.

It's good. However, I have to admit that Glen Cook reuses story elements in some of his books. I think I like this book the most so far, but I think a lot of that may have to do with me finally being comfortable with all the countries, factions, religions, groups, etc. in the book.

And now I'm halfway through Mean Deviation, which is looking like the Bible of progressive metal.

I just got that one in here, too. I'm queueing it next after Towers of Midnight.

I can't remember if it was Wagner who asked my permission to use a certain photo I took at ProgPower of two guys' feet (as Pan-thy-Monium, per Dan Swano) or maybe it was someone else.....in any case, it isn't in THIS book. (awwwwww.... :))

Just finished "Cachalot" by Alan Dean Foster, now heading into "Drowning World" by same author