Now Reading...

Still working my way through the Sara Donati Wilderness series - on the last book, finally. I still highly doubt it's anything the men would get into, but I've really been enjoying it. I was surprised, pleasantly so, at how much effort the author put into portraying what it's like to be half (or quarter or fractionally) white, and the marginalization that comes with not being identifiably one thing or another. The philosophies and responses are often a little anachronistic for a story that takes place during the War of 1812, but it's worked in skillfully enough that I don't feel like I'm being hit over the head with MODERN THEMES IN HISTORICAL FICTION. Not often, anyway. It's very easy to fall on the revisionist/politically correct side of things, rather than a (reasonably) accurate reflection of attitudes of the time, without coming across like a racist or an apologist or (at best) ignorant, and Donati manages to avoid those traps.

Now skimming: Jeff Wagner, Mean Deviation. I've been grinning a lot since it seems like every time I turn a page, there's another reference to an obscure band I love or a quote from someone I know. Usually Glenn. :headbang:

Now reading: Larry Niven and Edward Lerner, Juggler of Worlds. Reviews have been less than stellar but I'll have to read it to get to the next book in the series...and I happen to love this particular era of Known Space anyway. :)

Still reading The Man in the Iron Mask, but also reading Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs. The Mercy Thompson novels remind me of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake novels...but without the insane ammount of sex.

Just picked up "Fleet of Worlds" by Larry Niven

I read that, and enjoyed it. First book of this series.
I thought I had read the sequel, too, and ordered the third and fourth books (Destroyer and Betrayer of Worlds) accordingly, online. Turns out I hadn't read the second book (Juggler of Worlds), and picked it up at an actual physical bookstore (!) before the Blind Guardian show.

Whew, now I'm set for some good Niven stuff. He's always been one of my favorite SF authors. Pretty cool in person, too.

n360568.jpg

Publisher description:

Colonial historian Benjamin Wainwright is summoned to a think tank in western Massachusetts by an old school friend who researches war-game theory. He discovers upon arrival that his friend is dead - and that the security analyst hired to investigate his death has seemingly been murdered.

A series of codes, forged documents, and secret family histories all point to the existence of a centuries-old militaristic conspiracy, and Benjamin teams up with a beautiful Russian cultural attaché to unravel the truth. They set off on a dangerous mission that stretches from Washington, D.C., to the French Riviera, to deep within the Siberian wilderness. Together, they discover the sinister forces that have been pulling the strings ever since the very founding of America.

With a gripping pace and enigmatic plot that drives the reader from one page to the next, The Shadow War is a highly intelligent thriller that asks: Was the Cold War one vast, international ruse? Who really runs the country, and to what lengths will they go to conceal their hidden agendas?

On deck:

Books 1 & 2 of The Hive Series:

n238672.jpg

Book description: A SEQUEL OVER 70 YEARS IN THE MAKING (to Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness")
Jimmy Hayes had a bad feeling the moment he arrived at Kharkhov Station, and it had nothing to do with the cold, the snow, and the four solid months of darkness at the South Pole. But when mummies were discovered in the mountains, Hayes knew the cause of his bad feeling. Only he didn't know what would happen when the ruins of a pre-human civilization was discovered in a series of sub-surface caverns. That was when the real trouble at Kharkhov Station began...

n343892.jpg

Book description:

Bringing unimaginable ancient horrors to light, this supernatural novel weaves several terrifying discoveries into one disquieting tale. At an isolated research station in Antarctica, a cosmologist experiences a singular, horrifying encounter. In the grip of an unforgiving snowstorm, the members stationed at Mount Hobb confront a terror that will change the world. Amidst threats of national security, conspiracies, and cover-ups, a new group of scientists at Polar Clime Base attempt to unravel an eldritch mystery that has remained locked away for billions of years. Hidden away in the shadows of glacial caves, a malevolent intelligence that not only threatens the lives of those who discover it but also the future of the human race, lies waiting. Despite the dire warnings from the researchers at Polar Clime, the National Science Foundation refuses to intervene, leaving the inhabitants alone in preventing a final war for the very existence of humanity. In this riveting science fiction thriller, the unforgiving landscape of the Antarctic is explored, revealing the darkest place on Earth and the unknown menace that dwells beneath its ice.

I reread "At The Mountains of Madness" recently, as well as a lot of Lovecraft's other stuff that I haven't read in years.

A neat book I just finished is "Six Flags Over Georgia" by Tim Hollis, in the "Images of America" series. It's a pictorial history (sadly all in black and white) of the park, including plenty of photos of long-gone attractions. Brought back a lot of memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished "Fallen Dragon" last week, liked it quite a bit. I'll definitely get around to the other Hamilton books I've got eventually ("Pandora's Star", "Judas Unchained", Void series). Now I'm on my first Clive Cussler book, "Pacific Vortex!" (might as well start at the beginning, right?). I'm about 1/3 of the way through and its obvious this is a first attempt. I'll keep working through them though. I think I'm due for a Pratchett book or two after that. "A Hat Full of Sky" and "Going Postal" are next. Since "Going Postal" is getting the British TV treatment here soon I should probably get through it in print first. With no work for the next 10 or so days, hopefully I can knock a couple out.

Yay, Vision Bleak. Pity that audio transfer is so wishy-washy, though.

I really wanna get that Six Flags book, since that was my first job (Grounds Dept.), back when I was 16. Worked there for three years.

I didn't know "Going Postal" was getting the British TV treatment.....awesome news, as that was one of my favorite recent Discworld books.

Been doing a lot of reading lately. Recently finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, which contains some of the most beautiful writing I've ever seen. Nabokov's not an author, he's an artist who paints with words.

Got a few books for Christmas. Been wanting to read it for awhile now, so I'm starting with Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten.

one of the Christmas gifts I received today is the autobiography of professional wrestler Arn Anderson: Arn Anderson 4 Life, A Look Behind the Curtain.

20 pages into it and I've already learned so much about this wrestling superstar. One of the first stories Arn tells in the book is about his return to Atlanta and to the NWA/World Championship Wrestling show in 1989 after a year-long stint in the WWF. Here is the scene he describes:

be sure to pay attention to the venue they are in. ;) And then note that in this book Arn mentions that after traveling the world with the WWE and performing in front of as many as 20,000 fans at times, "nothing was like the rush I got that night at Center Stage" in front of about 500 fans.

and that is just awesome to know. :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on getting some work done today, as I have many projects that need attention. Instead, I spent almost the entire day reading Alastair Reynolds’s “House of Suns.” The book started slowly, but once it picked up, it was impossible to put down. It definitely is up to par when compared to “Revelation Space” works. In this book he created a universe unlike any of the others, yet the story flow reminded me of the “Revelation Space” works. The switching between two narratives was much like in “Chasm City” though they aren’t linked as closely as they are in the other book.

I purchased “terminal World” by the same author just a few days ago, but I will attempt to delay reading it until I have some work done.

Finally finished "Fallen Dragon" last week, liked it quite a bit. I'll definitely get around to the other Hamilton books I've got eventually ("Pandora's Star", "Judas Unchained", Void series).

OMG Don't wait! Fallen Dragon was amazing, but the Commonwealth Saga was an even more engrossing read for me. The books made me want to compose symphonies!

Do I sound just a bit enthusiastic?