Now Reading...

Do I sound just a bit enthusiastic?

Yep...and that's a GOOD thing. Frankly, I wish more people were excited about reading for leisure. :)

Note to John/J-Man: have you read Niven's other Known Space books, particularly the short stories about Beowulf Schaeffer?
If not, you might want to pick 'em up before continuing with Juggler of Worlds. That book's timeframe largely coincides with Bey's nifty adventures ("Wow! The hull just disappeared!") and that background would enhance Juggler considerably.

Incidentally, my original entry into Known Space -- as prodded and nurtured by a high-school friend, and it was devilishly effective -- was:
1. Neutron Star -- collection focused on Beowulf Schaeffer
2. Tales of Known Space -- another collection, but spans Known Space from near the beginning to the end
3. Ringworld -- easily one of the finest SF novels ever written...enhanced by a good background knowledge of Known Space and the wonderful alien species Niven populated it with. :kickass:

I got "Mean Deviation - Four Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal" as a gift for Christmas. So far it's an excellent read and would recommend it to anyone. Jeff Wagner has written an excellent, and to my eyes, an accurate accounting of the history of prog/metal. Then again, I'm old and remember all of the bands that he's written about so far. Also there's a chapter about festivals and Progpower is featured. Glenn pops up a few times here and there. Kudos to Mr. Wagner! :devil:

Fairly short, but Bambi was a good read. It shares a few elements with the Disney adaptation, but it's so wildly different in the tone of the novel. This is not Walt's Bambi at all. I've read a number of books that have talking animals present, but Salten is the only author I've read that puts a bit of the animal in the dialogue. You can hear the animal beneath the pacing and the wording of their individual dialogue.

So, with that one done, next up is King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard.

Fairly short, but Bambi was a good read. It shares a few elements with the Disney adaptation, but it's so wildly different in the tone of the novel. This is not Walt's Bambi at all. I've read a number of books that have talking animals present, but Salten is the only author I've read that puts a bit of the animal in the dialogue. You can hear the animal beneath the pacing and the wording of their individual dialogue.

I had a very old copy of Bambi's Children buried in my room for years as a kid, and one day in high school I picked it up and read it. And I really enjoyed it. I'd love to find a copy of Bambi so that I can read that one. It feels weird for me to have read the second one. I even asked my parents when I found it: "Do we have Bambi?" Neither one of them even knew where the book I had found came from!

I had a very old copy of Bambi's Children buried in my room for years as a kid, and one day in high school I picked it up and read it. And I really enjoyed it. I'd love to find a copy of Bambi so that I can read that one. It feels weird for me to have read the second one. I even asked my parents when I found it: "Do we have Bambi?" Neither one of them even knew where the book I had found came from!

Amazon has it for about 7 dollars. ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bambi-Life-Woods-Felix-Salten/dp/067166607X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293402093&sr=8-1[/ame]) Borders does, too, but they don't carry it instore, only online. :D

Heavy_Metal_258685d.jpg

http://www.informationsforlag.dk/view_product.php?product=978-87-7514-259-0

Awesome book about the first 40 years of heavy metal. Written by one of Denmark's best music journalists, Jens Jam Rasmussen.

"Unfortunately" (for all you 'mericans) it's written in Danish.

c.

I read that, and enjoyed it. First book of this series.
I thought I had read the sequel, too, and ordered the third and fourth books (Destroyer and Betrayer of Worlds) accordingly, online. Turns out I hadn't read the second book (Juggler of Worlds), and picked it up at an actual physical bookstore (!) before the Blind Guardian show.

Whew, now I'm set for some good Niven stuff. He's always been one of my favorite SF authors. Pretty cool in person, too.

Ordered Juggler, Destroyer, and Betrayer of Worlds yesterday, also Ringworld, and some more Alan Dean Foster

Finished "Pacific Vortex!" by Cussler and "A Hat Full of Sky" by Pratchett, both were good (Pratchett in particular, I like Granny Weatherwax and the Nac Mac Feegle). I'll definitely continue reading Cussler, been buying up hardcovers by him as I can find deals on them. Picked up Sahara and Inca Gold today in fact. I've accepted the first couple ("The Mediterranean Caper" and "Iceberg") are going to be too pricey for hardcover but hopefully I can find the others, I got used hardcovers of "Raise the Titanic!" and "Night Probe!" for Christmas and have "Treasure" and "Dragon" already. "Vixen 03", "Deep Six" and "Cyclops" will be the challenges.

Got a boatload of other books for Christmas too, "Polaris" by Jack McDevitt, "Coyote Rising" and "Spindrift" by Allen Steele, "Evolutionary Void" by Hamilton, the first 3 "Change" books and "The Protectors War" by S.M. Stirling, a Star Wars book or two and probably some others I've forgotten already :). Definitely going to keep me busy for a long time!

Up now: "A Talent For War" by Jack McDevitt

Funny you bring up "Hat Full Of Sky", since I just gave my wife "I Will Wear Midnight" as a Christmas gift. Course, she's treasuring it, since there is likely not to be much more Pratchett coming down the pike.

Currently I'm reading "Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle Earth", which is by a relative of mine. Mostly, it is about how Tolkien's Roman Catholic faith molded LotR. It is an interesting read. On my phone, I am reading "A Mage in the Making" by Alastair J. Archibald. So far, I'm not impressed.

I recently picked up some cheap books at Books-A-Million:

Sky Coyote - Kage Baker (Fortunately, I had already read "In The Garden Of Iden".)
Earthquake Weather - Tim Powers (Don't know if I need to read other books first)
In The Courts Of The Crimson Kings - S.M. Stirling (With a name like that, I have to own it.)

The Strain by Del Toro & Hogan...not one for vampire-related stuff, but this could be interesting. Seems to be well-received and reviewed, plus I won my copy from Bookgasm.com...so how can I go wrong?

Ordered Juggler, Destroyer, and Betrayer of Worlds yesterday, also Ringworld, and some more Alan Dean Foster

Ooooh. Ringworld is one of my all-time favorite novels, period! (I -do- recommend a good grounding in Known Space first, as noted earlier.)

the first 3 "Change" books and "The Protectors War" by S.M. Stirling,

You'll realllly start hating Wiccans at about the 3/4 mark in the first book. Sadly, it kinda goes downhill from there.

Recently finished: The Evolutionary Void, by Peter F. Hamilton. Pretty good wrap-up to a series that would have been better as 2 books, not 3.

Just set aside: Reaper's Gale, by Stephen Erikson. I read Erikson in parts, so I read the first two parts of RG, and will finish the rest soon. I liked the first half of RG a lot.

Now reading: Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie. Glotka is one of my favorite fantasy characters in a long time.

Ken

I just finished Alastair Reynolds’s “Terminal World” earlier today. As far as I can tell I have now read all of his full length novels. The world in which the book is set is definitely very interesting, and so is the story. I think, though, that most characters seem rather naïve and make decisions that are good for propelling the story along, but not for the characters’ own good. So, this is probably my least favorite of his books, along with “Pushing Ice.” It still is a great read.

Next, I’m diving into my yet unread works by Peter F. Hamilton, mainly the “Void” series.

I just finished Alastair Reynolds’s “Terminal World” earlier today. As far as I can tell I have now read all of his full length novels. The world in which the book is set is definitely very interesting, and so is the story. I think, though, that most characters seem rather naïve and make decisions that are good for propelling the story along, but not for the characters’ own good. So, this is probably my least favorite of his books, along with “Pushing Ice.” It still is a great read.

Next, I’m diving into my yet unread works by Peter F. Hamilton, mainly the “Void” series.

I read Revelation Space a few years ago just started Chasm City. I enjoy his writing style.

Finished Niven and Lerner's Juggler of Worlds, which I thought was somewhat better than reviews on Amazon had indicated. Have picked right up with the sequel, Destroyer of Worlds. :kickass:

Started "Juggler of Worlds" last night, hope it is as good as "Fleet Of Worlds" but don't tell me anything about the book. Wait till i finish it then we can discuss them. can't seem to find "Betrayer of Worlds" anywhere. Oh crap no wonder it is not due to be released until May 2011, duhhhhhhh.

I picked up Alberto Manguel & Gianni Guadalupi's The Dictionary of Imaginary Places earlier today. I have an earlier edition, but I wanted this expanded version. The format doesn't lend itself as a straight read-through book, but is perfect for browsing. It's essentially a "travel guide" to various imaginary places in literature and pop culture. It has locales as diverse as Arkham, Neverwhere, Pepperland, Prydain, and that Middle Earth place.