Now Reading...

Started "Juggler of Worlds" last night, hope it is as good as "Fleet Of Worlds" but don't tell me anything about the book. Wait till i finish it then we can discuss them. can't seem to find "Betrayer of Worlds" anywhere. Oh crap no wonder it is not due to be released until May 2011, duhhhhhhh.

In paperback. I have the hardcover release; Amazon tends to discount them fairly well. :)

I picked up Alberto Manguel & Gianni Guadalupi's The Dictionary of Imaginary Places earlier today. I have an earlier edition, but I wanted this expanded version. The format doesn't lend itself as a straight read-through book, but is perfect for browsing. It's essentially a "travel guide" to various imaginary places in literature and pop culture. It has locales as diverse as Arkham, Neverwhere, Pepperland, Prydain, and that Middle Earth place.

You said you found that at 50% off at B&N, right? Was it in Bargain Books or some other section? I might try to launch a raid and pick it up tomorrow.

I confess I'm really curious as to how wide a scope it encompasses. :heh:

The Young Kingdoms? (from the Elric books)
Terre d'Ange? (from Jacqueline Carey's books)
Discworld?
Otherland? (Tad Williams)
The Ringworld?
The Seven Kingdoms? (George RR Martin)
Pern?
The Wraeththu realm? (might not count, since it's merely post-apocalytic Earth :))

You said you found that at 50% off at B&N, right? Was it in Bargain Books or some other section? I might try to launch a raid and pick it up tomorrow.

I found it in the bargain section, but in Nashville I saw it on a display table near the front. If you go get a copy, I would ask a bookseller. You can also look online to see if the store has it in stick.

I confess I'm really curious as to how wide a scope it encompasses. :heh:

Strangely enough, it had none of those places, and I could have sworn that my earlier edition had the Young Kingdoms and Discworld. In fairness to the book, while it is an updated edition, I think the last big update was the early '90's, with a couple of odds and ends added since then (Neverwhere, for example). While that doesn't explain the lack of Elric or Discworld coverage, it's why it doesn't have a lot of newer places. I also think it was originally written for continental Europe, and translated into English. As for Ringworld and Wraeththu Country, the writers did say that they did not include places in the future or places found in off-world science fiction. They also freely admit that the lines sometimes got fuzzy and their criteria was flexible, which makes the book more charming. But one of the things I really like is the fact that I am not familiar with a lot of the places that they included; many are from literature written in foreign languages. That keeps it fresh and surprising.

Just finished Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars (very dark and very enjoyable, if a bit familiar) and picked up Jim Butcher's Side Jobs at lunch. I have much love for the Dresden Files.

I got a copy of the audio version from the library ripped to my ipod, but haven't gotten to listen to it yet.

Currently working on Breathless by Dean Koontz.

I'm about 70% through Destroyer Of Worlds and I'm officially getting that tingly feeling of reading a really great book.
John, you're gonna love this.

I seriously want to re-read Larry Niven's Protector (much-older novel) now, too.

the-lost-gate.jpg

I'm about 70% through Destroyer Of Worlds and I'm officially getting that tingly feeling of reading a really great book.
John, you're gonna love this.

I seriously want to re-read Larry Niven's Protector (much-older novel) now, too.

Should be starting "Destroyer Of Worlds" tomorrow, almost through with Juggler

Finished "A Talent for War" by Jack McDevitt last night and really enjoyed it. Sort of a scifi, adventure, mystery. Maybe a little Indiana Jones in that the plot revolves around investigating a future history. Basically a explorer ship returns early under mysterious circumstances, the protagonists uncle disappears in an accident and leaves him information around a sort of archeological research project he was doing involving a legendary military figure and people surrounding him.

Speaking of Indy, up next is Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants.

Finished "A Talent for War" by Jack McDevitt last night and really enjoyed it. Sort of a scifi, adventure, mystery. Maybe a little Indiana Jones in that the plot revolves around investigating a future history. Basically a explorer ship returns early under mysterious circumstances, the protagonists uncle disappears in an accident and leaves him information around a sort of archeological research project he was doing involving a legendary military figure and people surrounding him.

Speaking of Indy, up next is Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants.

Was this your first McDevitt Alex/Chase book? If so, then you are in for a treat as all the sequels are even better! The story is very repetitive, but the humanity of the characters and the humor with which the tales are told are unmatched.

McDevitt's Hutch/Academy series are great as well. My favorite was "Chindi" which was the first one of his books that I ever read.

My wife got me hooked on Orson Scott Card awhile back. Pastwatch is my favorite, I wish he would extrapolate it into a series.

When it first came out, I'm pretty sure I read that there would be followups to Pastwatch - at least more books with the same concept. But since he also has yet to finish the Alvin Maker series, and the last one of those came out in 2003, I wouldn't hold your breath for this to happen.

Ken

"Chasm City" was great. I know that I should have expected the tale to twist the way it did, but it still surprised and intrigued me so much.

I'm about half way through and I can see it going in several different ways at this point. Now, if I could only find more than about 20 minutes a day to read....

When it first came out, I'm pretty sure I read that there would be followups to Pastwatch - at least more books with the same concept. But since he also has yet to finish the Alvin Maker series, and the last one of those came out in 2003, I wouldn't hold your breath for this to happen.

Ken

I know that there was a short story at some point, but nothing else. :(

I'm reading the first of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - The Eye of the World. So far, it's great!

I read the first 3 about ten years ago and just could not get into it. Seemed like the same things just kept happening over and over and over. I hope that you can find it more enjoying than I did.

My wife got me hooked on Orson Scott Card awhile back. Pastwatch is my favorite, I wish he would extrapolate it into a series.

Haven't liked a Card book in years. Loved Ender's Game, and the first two Alvin Maker books. From that point forward, I found his books increasingly boring or silly. Even the "Shadow of . . ." Ender books weren't up to his earlier standards. I've pretty much sworn off of him.

Steve in Philly