Now Reading...

I always wondered if there was anyone in the world that actually listened to audio books in the car - it just seems like such a weird idea to me, lol. Now I know at least one person who does it!

I used to listen to LOTS of audio books in the car when my then-fiance lived 5 hours away and I did lots of driving on weekends. But, I would only listen to audio versions of books I'd already read once - that way, if I zoned out and missed a bit, it wouldn't really matter.

My FAVORITE audio books have always been PG Wodehouse books, like the Jeeves and Wooster stories. I've purchased a couple of those for my MP3 player, just to have on standby when the urge strikes.

Ken

... someone gave me Return of the Native read by Alan Rickman.

Was his voice all the monotone-like Hanz Gruber/Snape sounding or did he have intonation and emotion?

I think that if I tried to listen to anything narrated by him, I would pay too much attention to his voice and less to the content. Mr. Rickman has a unique skill of usurping any narrative. There's a great blog post about that here.

Was his voice all the monotone-like Hanz Gruber/Snape sounding or did he have intonation and emotion?

I think that if I tried to listen to anything narrated by him, I would pay too much attention to his voice and less to the content. Mr. Rickman has a unique skill of usurping any narrative. There's a great blog post about that here.

He does the full blown narrative, changing voices for characters and moods. He even sings!

He also reads the sonnet "My Mistress' Eyes are Nothing Like The Sun" on the When Love Awaits disc (which has an assortment of actors and singers reading an assortment of Shakespeare passages) which is toe-curlingly amazing.

the-lost-gate.jpg

Picked this up yesterday. Finished "Destroyer of Worlds" last night big thumbs up to that whole series, now got to get "Betrayer of Worlds" to complete the series. But tonight I will start "The Lost Gate"

Finished Cussler's "The Mediterranean Caper", decent and only *slightly* misogynistic :). A product of its time I'm sure seeing as it was written in the 60s/70s. I'm confident they get better, otherwise he wouldn't have such a literary empire at this point, right? I'm currently racing through "Tech's Luck: The Story of Jim Luck" which is a biography of my dad's baseball coach at Georgia Tech. And yes, pop does merit inclusion in the book. I'm not sure what after that. Probably one of: Cussler's "Iceberg", R.M. Meluch's "Wolf Star" or Pratchett's "Going Postal".

One of the best books I have read in a long time.... I read it start to finish in one sitting. I emailed Shane with the recommendation and he ended up doing the same exact same thing before I told him I did.

OriginbyJAKonrath.jpg

When linguist Andrew Dennison is yanked from his bed by the Secret Service and taken to a top secret facility in the desert , he has no idea he's been brought there to translate the words of an ancient demon.

He joins pretty but cold veterinarian Sun Jones, eccentric molecular biologist Dr. Frank Belgium, and a hodge-podge of religious, military, and science personnel to try and figure out if the creature is, indeed, Satan.

But things quickly go bad, and very soon Andy isn't just fighting for his life, but the lives of everyone on earth...

Just finished: The Final Empire, first in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Overall very good, but a bit clunky in places. I'll continue with the others soon.

Now reading: Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie.

Up next: the last third of Reaper's Gale, by Steven Erikson.

Ken

Just finished: Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror.

Now reading: Christopher Moore's The Island of the Sequined Love Nun

Up Next: Christopher Moore's Practical Demonkeeping.

Good haul at the local used book store!

Finished Betrayer of Worlds and thoroughly liked it, although as a longtime Niven aficionado, I found the Pak (in the prior book) to be a more menacing threat.

Next up, probably, will be the Scott Pilgrim comics.

Recently finished Del Toro & Hogan's "The Strain." Eh...interesting concept on the whole vampire thing, but it really didn't engage me enough to give a shit about what might happen next. I would recommend F. Paul Wilson's "Midnight Mass" or (god forbid) "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons before I recommended this one. Good, low-brain entertainment, though. Basically just consisted of 3-4 page scene snippets where events slowly unfolded. At the end of 600 pages, though...not much had happened.

Just finished Pale Gray For Guilt (Travis McGee #9) by John D. MacDonald -- one of the best so far! Love having Meyer more involved the past few books...and this one gets personal for McGee, so it gets a bit grittier than the norm...highly recommended series.

Just cracked: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo -- my wife picked up the whole trilogy for $6...thought I would see what all the hype was about. Only 30 pages in, and I dig it so far.

Midnight Mass was a fun, disposable kind of vampire book. I think the Strain is way better though.

Actually, for a fun, quick vampire tale, nothing beats Vampire$. That's the one the John Carpenter movie was based on. I still take that one off the shelf from time to time to re-read.

Midnight Mass was a fun, disposable kind of vampire book. I think the Strain is way better though.

Actually, for a fun, quick vampire tale, nothing beats Vampire$. That's the one the John Carpenter movie was based on. I still take that one off the shelf from time to time to re-read.

It has probably been discussed somewhere in the preceding 63 pages, but The Passage by Justin Cronin is an excellent vampire book. Its basic premise is similar to Stephen King's The Stand.