Now Reading...

Okay, okay. I was avoiding major fantasy series (still have a bad Jordan Wheel aftertaste, and I never even read the final novel).

I finally broke down and read 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' (which I liked quite a bit), and am now joining the cult and reading 'A Game of Thrones'. Halfway through and it is definitely excellent.

I've already orded book two of both series. At least I should be ready for the GoT TV series.

Steve in Philly

I bought into the mega-hype and picked it up at lunch today:

51b-IJHEaHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Read a short synopsis of this book, sounds really interesting, may have to get it on my next buy. Right now I have about 8 books i need to finish before i get any more.

Okay, okay. I was avoiding major fantasy series (still have a bad Jordan Wheel aftertaste, and I never even read the final novel).

Well, no-one has. A Memory Of Light hasn't been published yet; scheduled for early 2012. :)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the last two, Brandon Sanderson-written entries in the WoT series have been excellent....among the best novels I read during their respective years (2009 and 2010).

BTW, although George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series IS great, be prepared for "goddamnit where's the next book?!" syndrome when you get to the end. :D

Reading: The Lost City of Z

I read that as well (recommended by Glenn earlier in this thread)...enjoyed the crap out of it.

Will definitely have to check out the Exploration Fawcett as well...

Jeez, Glenn...how the hell do you get the time to read so much? Or are you a speed reader?

Just finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, after being convinced by a friend from work. Brilliant fantasy work, so much so that I'll probably buy it. Looking forward to the sequel out in a month or so. With the last Erikson and Rothfuss coming out within 10 days of each other, I might have lots of reading ahead of me.

Just finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, after being convinced by a friend from work. Brilliant fantasy work, so much so that I'll probably buy it. Looking forward to the sequel out in a month or so. With the last Erikson and Rothfuss coming out within 10 days of each other, I might have lots of reading ahead of me.

You are one lucky bastard in being able to avoid the wait on Rothfuss. Many folks thought he was going to turn into George RR Martin for a while.

Although I really liked that book, I see the potential for it to become a pretty generic series. I really hope not.

Just recently finished Heinlein's "The Number Of The Beast". Like "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls", it goes off to the left field that is Lazarus Long in the end and kinda loses the thread of the plot. It makes more sense than the latter, but that isn't saying much. Still, an enjoyable read for a Heinlein fan who is already familiar with "Time Enough For Love".

I have a few books which I've started, but the first that might finish is Pratchett's "Jingo".

Read a short synopsis of this book, sounds really interesting, may have to get it on my next buy. Right now I have about 8 books i need to finish before i get any more.

I'm 120 pages in and bored to death at the moment. I'm giving it another 75 and then it's time to move on. Life is too short to complete books that you don't enjoy.