Now Reading...

Seems like a lot of fantasy novel reading going on here.

You ain't kidding! I just got a confirmation e-mail that these books are now on the way from Science Fiction Book Club:

The Crippled God
Steven Erikson

Towers of Midnight
Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

The Gathering Storm

Wizard by Trade (2-in-1)
Jim Butcher

Best Served Cold
Joe Abercrombie

The Heroes
Joe Abercrombie

I quit SFBC a while ago because their on-line ordering system kept pissing me off. But I figured I'd eventually start getting those offers to "rejoin and get lots of free books", and by the time I was ready to rejoin, most of the rest of the Wheel of Time and Malazan would be available. Like now!

Ken

I picked up Robin Hobb's Dragon Keeper, now that it's in paperback. I'm about halfway through it - that particular world seems to have lost its sparkle, especially without Fool.

Picked up Danielle Trussoni's "Angelology" looks to be a very exciting read> Hope to start it tomorrow or monday, still reading "Flood" by Stephen Baxter

Angelology.jpg

You ain't kidding! I just got a confirmation e-mail that these books are now on the way from Science Fiction Book Club:

The Crippled God
Steven Erikson

Towers of Midnight

The Gathering Storm

Wizard by Trade (2-in-1)
Jim Butcher

Best Served Cold
Joe Abercrombie

The Heroes
Joe Abercrombie

I quit SFBC a while ago because their on-line ordering system kept pissing me off. But I figured I'd eventually start getting those offers to "rejoin and get lots of free books", and by the time I was ready to rejoin, most of the rest of the Wheel of Time and Malazan would be available. Like now!

Ken

Oh my gosh, I wish I had that kind of money to spend at SFBC all at once. As it is, I buy one or two books at a time from them. Though I did get four, the last shipment. As a result, I purchased none this time around. I'm still reading The Griffin Mage Trilogy, though.

The books I recently received are:

Except the Queen - Jane Yolen and Midori Snyder
The Way of Kings - Brian Sanderson
The Word and the Void - Terry Brooks
The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (omnibus) - Stephen R. Donaldson

Picked up Danielle Trussoni's "Angelology" looks to be a very exciting read> Hope to start it tomorrow or monday, still reading "Flood" by Stephen Baxter

Yardleybates just listened to this on tape. She liked it.

The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (omnibus) - Stephen R. Donaldson

I am pissed. My copy of "Lord Foul's Bane" has somehow disappeared. BTW, IMO that is the best title for any book ever written. Looking back, that series was really annoying because as many of you have pointed out, Thomas Covenant is a whiny bitch, and he gets annoying. However, that's really my first exposure to fantasy literature, so I hold a special place in my heart for that book.

I am pissed. My copy of "Lord Foul's Bane" has somehow disappeared. BTW, IMO that is the best title for any book ever written. Looking back, that series was really annoying because as many of you have pointed out, Thomas Covenant is a whiny bitch, and he gets annoying. However, that's really my first exposure to fantasy literature, so I hold a special place in my heart for that book.

I'm glad I only bought the first omnibus, then. If I start to get annoyed with the character, I don't have to buy anything else. But I'll probably enjoy the series, anyway.

Laymon really knew how to bring the gore.

And bring it he did. The Woods Are Dark felt more like an Ed Lee book, but those guys are pretty similar in their depravity...ha!

Just finished: Painted Ladies by Robert B. Parker (Spenser #38)
Just cracked: Requiem For An Assassin by Barry Eisler (John Rain #6)

Oh my gosh, I wish I had that kind of money to spend at SFBC all at once.

I did the "Rejoin and get free books" thing. The total cost to me for all those books was about $14, mostly for shipping. I learned a long time ago with the Columbia House CD club that if you're in one of these monthly "clubs", the best thing to do is quit once in a while and wait for the "rejoin and get free stuff!" offers.

Ken

I picked up a handful of paperbacks at the used book store. It feels weird to do that now that I have a Kindle, but with the used books I can try out new authors for relatively little cash. Anyway, this time I snagged

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas Sniegoski
John Constantine: Hellblazer - War Lord by John Shirley
Every Last Drop by Charlie Huston
Half the Blood of Brooklyn by Charlie Huston

And I finished Mike Carey's Vicious Circle earlier today. I'm digging this series, or it's at least keeping me occupied while I wait for the next Dresden Files novel.

Seems like a lot of fantasy novel reading going on here.

Yep (on a metal forum? who'd'a thunk it? :)) , and that's normally true for me as well. Lately I've been reading more SF, notably Larry Niven.

Wasn't my first, but in the case of the setting (aka, "The Land"), I liked the breadth and detail that Donaldson put into it, particularly as it was depicted in the first trilogy. For me, that "magic of setting" managed to transcend the fact that, as others have noted, it's very hard to empathize with Covenant himself.

NR: Larry Niven, Neutron Star

Wasn't my first, but in the case of the setting (aka, "The Land"), I liked the breadth and detail that Donaldson put into it, particularly as it was depicted in the first trilogy. For me, that "magic of setting" managed to transcend the fact that, as others have noted, it's very hard to empathize with Covenant himself.

+1. I've read the whole series a few of times since I was a kid, and every time Covenant pisses me off, and every time it's the Land (and Saltheart Foamfollower) that keeps me going.

The Girl In The Plain Brown Wrapper (Travis McGee #10) by John D. MacDonald...best one yet so far!

Now reading: 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris. Some good stuff so far. But always sounds easier than it is in reality. He seems to have a lot of issues I've never had. But I agree with him.... mostly.

I'm currently trying to build momentum in Brandon Sanderson's second Mistborn novel, The Well of Ascension. But this sucker is almost 800 pages long, and after the first 150 sloooooow pages ..... nothing has happened. I hope it picks up soon!

Ken