Now Reading...

He means he knows (probably met and/or talks to) two out of the four authors listed.

I like Gaiman a lot, and if I could find anything half as cool as American Gods to read, I'd probably pick it up.

He means he knows (probably met and/or talks to) two out of the four authors listed.

Correct, Gaiman moreso than Ellison.

Interesting about "urban fantasy"... I noticed that Steven Boyett's critically acclaimed novel Ariel was reprinted recently with a distinctly dark, urban-fantasy look to the cover. Pretty nifty trick, since the novel is about a post-apocalypse world where nothing mechanical* works, but magic is real and unicorns (among others) exist. :)

-----
* except, curiously, the protagonist's wristwatch

Correct, Gaiman moreso than Ellison.

I'm also two for four, Gaiman moreso than Jeff Vandermeer, with whom I haven't had much contact, but he cowrote a story in Halo Evolutions (that's in the process of being made into a motion comic of some sort) with a close friend of mine.

What do you guys think of Ellison/Vandermeer? I love Ellison's short stories (at least those few I have read anyway, the man has had a gazillion published as it is) and Vandermeer has a very "dark" tone to what he writes that I enjoy. No bullshitting here when it comes to human emotion and feelings and whatnot, even though the plots may be very surreal and "out there".

gideons-sword.jpg

In the queue....

511dv4tp7vl__sl500_aa300_-150x150.jpg

I have got those two on my list also. Glenn you have got to get "Angelology" by Danielle Trussoni. It is awesome.

"The Mayan Codex" is actually Book 2 of the trilogy. You need to read "The Nostradamus Prophecies" first.

I did indeed enjoy "Angelology" (picked it up in March of last year).

"The Mayan Codex" is actually Book 2 of the trilogy. You need to read "The Nostradamus Prophecies" first.

I did indeed enjoy "Angelology" (picked it up in March of last year).

Got ya, dang I must be behind the times, i thought Angelology was a new book

Paperback version did just came out. I'm a hardcover kind of guy within certain genres.

Now I see, said the blind man. Glenn are you a member of a book club? Is that how you get info on all the great books? If so which one, i am tired of paying Barnes and Noble prices, and the PX is about 4 to 6 months behind on getting new books.

No book club for me. I just do a bit of research and keep current via forums, blogs, amazon lists, etc dedicated to the thriller genre. I buy in bulk quarterly from amazon uk as well as many books over there are either not released here or are up to a year behind.

You can get some great deals on amazon here for used copies. Otherwise, you should invest in a Nook to download titles and save tons of dough.

Finished Lane Robins' Maledicte - thought the ending was a bit out of place, but whoa, what a protagonist. Lots of court intrigue, dark gods, etc. Loved it.

Also recently finished Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr, which was also great, though I was reminded of how severely I need to re-read her previous books before starting Darkest Mercy. Her series is one of the few in the YA "paranormal romance" genre that I can tolerate.

Currently reading The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes You a Happy Birthday: Unexpected Encounters in the Changing Middle East by Neil MacFarquhar, which seems increasingly relevant given the ongoing uprisings over there, and I'll start Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson soon. :)

No book club for me. I just do a bit of research and keep current via forums, blogs, amazon lists, etc dedicated to the thriller genre. I buy in bulk quarterly from amazon uk as well as many books over there are either not released here or are up to a year behind.

You can get some great deals on amazon here for used copies. Otherwise, you should invest in a Nook to download titles and save tons of dough.

Thanks for the info, may just invest in that Nook

Seemingly nice guy. I haven't delved into his work, though :)

And I am glad to see people who associate "urban fantasy" with Gaiman, et al.

As I am very much a short story aficionado, I'd recommend getting his The Third Bear and go from there. There's some very good writing in those stories, and if you like them, then you could always go to one of his Ambergris books from there (City Of Saints & Madmen, Shriek).

I am now officially reading -- as opposed to just casually skimming -- Jeff Wagner's Mean Deviation -- Three Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal, and playing the Glenn Harveston/PP Drinking Game: whenever Glenn or PP is mentioned, take a slug of your favorite adult beverage.* If a quote from Glenn is featured, chug-a-lug the bottle! :lol:

-----
* which isn't very 'adult' in my case :)

I am now officially reading -- as opposed to just casually skimming -- Jeff Wagner's Mean Deviation -- Three Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal, and playing the Glenn Harveston/PP Drinking Game: whenever Glenn or PP is mentioned, take a slug of your favorite adult beverage.* If a quote from Glenn is featured, chug-a-lug the bottle! :lol:

-----
* which isn't very 'adult' in my case :)
I just finished it the other day (it was my bathroom leisure book). Good book. Your drinking game might result in getting slightly more buzz than a drinking challenge with Urban Breed