Now Reading...

Working my way through the Scott Pilgrim comics (got all six pretty cheap as an online package deal). LOVE the humorous tone and presentation, not a fan of the fact that many characters are drawn a bit too similarly.

Next up, probably some newly-acquired Chelsea Quinn Yarbro books, since she was GREAT to talk to, casually and at length, this past weekend at ChattaCon.
I've already read several of her historical vampire novels and loved 'em.
In a congested, overcrowded genre, her books shine out like Dom Perignon in a sea of Schlitz.

pegasus.jpg

The author has done a good job of making Pegasai into something more than horses with wings.

Actually, for a fun, quick vampire tale, nothing beats Vampire$. That's the one the John Carpenter movie was based on. I still take that one off the shelf from time to time to re-read.

I wish the movie had been more like the book. I enjoy parts of the movie, but I think the book's story was overall better. They were so different that you could make another movie, change the main character's name, and people wouldn't realize it was a second adaptation!

Working my way through the Scott Pilgrim comics (got all six pretty cheap as an online package deal). LOVE the humorous tone and presentation, not a fan of the fact that many characters are drawn a bit too similarly.

O'Malley's art definitely improves. I rather like it by the final volume.

Next up, probably some newly-acquired Chelsea Quinn Yarbro books, since she was GREAT to talk to, casually and at length, this past weekend at ChattaCon.
I've already read several of her historical vampire novels and loved 'em.
In a congested, overcrowded genre, her books shine out like Dom Perignon in a sea of Schlitz.

I wish there were more serious-minded vampire novels like hers out there. Even for readers "sick of vampires," I would recommend Yarbro's Saint-Germain books as excellent historical novels.

Finished Pratchett's "Going Postal". I quite liked the Moist von Lipwig character. Hopefully Pterry's alzheimers doesn't rob him of his ability to create new stories before he can do a few more books with him (I know "Making Money" is about him too). Last I heard, while he can't write/type himself he can still dictate.

Up next is "Iceberg" by Clive Cussler. The rest of my shelf queue is "Wolf Star" by R.M. Meluch, "Thud" by Pratchett, "1776" by David McCullough, "Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils"/"IJ and the Genesis Deluge" by Rob MacGregor, "Polaris" by McDevitt and several more Cussler books ("Raise the Titanic", "Vixen 03", "Night Probe", "Deep Six" and "Cyclops")

Finished Pratchett's "Going Postal". I quite liked the Moist von Lipwig character. Hopefully Pterry's alzheimers doesn't rob him of his ability to create new stories before he can do a few more books with him (I know "Making Money" is about him too). Last I heard, while he can't write/type himself he can still dictate.

Apparently it was a real struggle for him to get "Unseen Academicals" out, and that's when he realized he needed help. I had thought he was done at that point, but still managed to get a new Aching novel out, so there is still hope for some new books.

BTW, Going Postal is the latest of his books to be adapted by SkyOne and I think that came out last year.

Also of interest to you, Martin Wallace is developing a Discworld board game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91312/ankh-morpork

Midnight Mass was a fun, disposable kind of vampire book. I think the Strain is way better though.

To each his own, I guess...that's exactly how I felt about The Strain (fun but disposable). Great story...could totally get behind a movie version, but I prefer something a bit more character-driven.

and several more Cussler books ("Raise the Titanic", "Vixen 03", "Night Probe", "Deep Six" and "Cyclops")

Did you go to confession and were instructed to pay for some really horrific sins? It's like having an open checkbook to eat at any five star restaurant and you choose Krystal.

Cussler is the David Eddings of Action/Adventure.

If you ever want to put you big boy pants on, shoot me an email for reccomendations in the action/adventure/thriller genre.

Did you go to confession and were instructed to pay for some really horrific sins? It's like having an open checkbook to eat at any five star restaurant and you choose Krystal.

Cussler is the David Eddings of Action/Adventure.

If you ever want to put you big boy pants on, shoot me an email for reccomendations in the action/adventure/thriller genre.

lol, hey now, I much prefer the Varsity to Krystal!

I have a good friend who's a big Cussler fan plus his books are easy to find used in hardcover (save the first few) so figured I'd give him a shot. I've been trying to expand my horizons (you know from Stars Wars and, well, Star Wars) to other Science Fiction then to some Fantasy (like Pratchett) and now some Action/Adventure. Baby steps first I guess. I'm always open to suggestions and have picked up a few books you've recommended (loved The Lies of Locke Lamora and have bought but not yet read The Steel Remains and Blasphemy) so I'm always up for more. I just make no promises of when I'll get to them since my to read pile is massive.

Very rare that I read books in the same series back-to-back, but I'm hooked on Stieg Larsson's bizarre little world. Moved on to The Girl Who Played With Fire last night...100+ pages in.

Okay just got the first two in the series by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston "The Relic" and "Mount Dragon" plus "The Codex" by Douglas Preston, also in this buy are the 4 books by Taylor Anderson in "The Destroyermen" Series "Into the Storm", "Crusade", "Maelstrom", and "Distant Thunders" anyone know anything about this series? I got it cause it looked and sounded different.

Well...The Girl Who Played With Fire was a big disappointment after Dragon Tattoo...

Cleansing the palate with Everybody Wants Some - The Van Halen Saga by Ian Christe. Never been a super huge VH fan, but I've taken the journey with them since the beginning. Good book...keeps a decent timeline and tells a good story so far...

I just finished an old book in my collection that I never read: Alan Dean Foster's "Into The Out Of". It is nice to read a book with part of the book taking place in your back yard. (The lead male character lives near Burke Lake in VA.)

Next up: Heinlein's "The Number Of The Beast"

I finished the six Scott Pilgrim comics? graphic novels? -- fun stuff! -- and went back to reading SF....namely the legendary Larry Niven collection Tales Of Known Space, which the great and mighty McKay's in Chattanooga had for $1.50, as well as a copy of Neutron Star also for $1.50.

Sadly, my quest for a reading copy of Ringworld or Protector was in vain. :)

Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry, and not because I want to.

I stalled out on "Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell." Was waiting for it to get good, and it just never would get anywhere.... I got a couple of John Scalzi books, also at the McKay's in Chat, later books in the "Old Man's War" series, since I had only read the first. Maybe I'll start one soon.

I'm about done with Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. I really like it. I think the thing that I like the best is that unlike most fantasy, good and evil are not cut-and-dry/black and white. It's hard to tell if there are "good guys" and "bad guys". There are people with differences of opinion and with different goals. This pits them against each other. Some choose to achieve their aims peacefully, and other choose a more violent path. It's also interesting because there really isn't a protagonist. It's a bit like Joe Abecrombe's books in that it really follows a bunch of characters, not one.

I'm about done with Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. <.....snip.....> It's a bit like Joe Abecrombe's books in that it really follows a bunch of characters, not one.

As the saying goes, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Saying Erikson follows a bunch of characters over all his books is like saying the Hubble telescope follows a bunch of stars. The total list of characters would be the size of one of the books themselves!

Ken

The Bricklayer by Noah Boyd...

I'm caught up on Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels...this seemed like a decent substitute.