Now Reading...

flashman.jpg

eBook:

51WcvWab7NL.jpg

It's odd because usually one gets all the info from the actual story, and the glossary or index is used for reference in case you forget who someone is, what country a certain city is located, etc.

Reading the glossary first can spoil things, too. At the beginning of Book 1, when a certain character is being attacked by horrible things, there's a certain suspense in that you don't know what the Hell these things are. But if you read the entry for these creatures in the back of the book before reading ... well ... you already know what they are, what they're capable of, how they're organized in their homeland, etc., and it just takes away from the experience a bit.

It works for you, and that's great. I only say "odd" because most people don't do it that way.

i've been doing it since i started reading

when i come across a fiction book that has a glossary, i read the glossary first
it's just always made sense to me to do it that way

to help immerse myself in the universe that the characters are living in

I had to read this for English class this summer. 90 pages with big font and pictures :D
But it got me thinking about things more than any book ever has gotten me to in my entire life. :)

250px-Littleprince.JPG

Now to find an actual book :p

I had to read this for English class this summer. 90 pages with big font and pictures :D
But it got me thinking about things more than any book ever has gotten me to in my entire life. :)

I actually have a copy of "The Little Prince" on my "to be read" shelf. (Or "shelves", rather).

Finally finished the Eragon series (still not my favorite) and just started "Deeply Odd" from Dean Koontz. This is the 6th book in the "Odd Thomas" series...I know Glenn hates 1st person narration, but I really enjoy this character's wry sense of humor and unique outlook on life.

I actually have a copy of "The Little Prince" on my "to be read" shelf. (Or "shelves", rather).

Finally finished the Eragon series (still not my favorite) and just started "Deeply Odd" from Dean Koontz. This is the 6th book in the "Odd Thomas" series...I know Glenn hates 1st person narration, but I really enjoy this character's wry sense of humor and unique outlook on life.

I enjoyed the first Odd book, but the rest have been very "meh" for me.

He has good ideas, just can't write.... Not sure how he ever got as popular as he is.

Probably for the same reason crap like 50 Shades of Grey becomes popular. Your average "NY Times Bestseller" reader isn't intellectual enough to care about the quality of someone's writing -- or necessarily know the difference -- it's all about how provocative the subject matter is.

Also started reading The Dark Tower series again.

Why? :p

Actually, I was obsessed with the series throughout the 1990s, but hated the turn that the last 3 books took. I felt like King started off by creating this brilliant world (or set of worlds) -- and then painted himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get out. I literally threw the 7th book against the wall once I finished it. (Years before Bradley Cooper's "Silver Linings Playbook" character made this fashionable.) ;)

Now that I'm done with A Song of Ice and Fire, I'm reading the Saga graphic novels:

Saga-Vol.-1-cover.jpg

Halfway through the first and I'm in love with it. The humor, writing, and art are great.

Finished The Scions of Shannara a couple days ago. Just recently started The Druid of Shannara.

Also going to a Terry Brooks book signing on Friday (author of the Shannara series) \m/

Finally finished The Hobbit while completely destroying my Nook in the process (word of advice, don't put 7 inch tablets in your back pocket unless you have the 2nd year warranty)

Went to B&N today and picked Ender's Game Book 1, The Hunger Games, and Bakuman Volume 1 (from Death Note creators).