Now Reading...

Just picked this up today. 700+ pages.

Louder-Than-Hell.jpg

I picked up the first 3 “Eragon” books in a bundle, plus the fourth book, for my Kindle.

After about the first 15%, I wasn’t super impressed. Way too derivative...and I found the writing style to be rather forced. Given that the author started the series when he was 15, I was hoping it would get better. Plus, I felt like the prologue was awfully short and I had been thrown clueless right into the middle of a story.

Turns out I *had*, as I discovered today that I had mistakenly started with the fourth book instead of the 3-book bundle. Oh, HELL!!! :oops: I love my Kindle, but that’s not a problem I’ve ever had reading actual books!

Good news: now I’ll catch up on the backstory. (Or rather, the initial story). Bad news: now I know the writing isn’t going to get any better. :mad:

Now, if I was a high school English teacher grading the author’s creative writing essay, I’d give it an A+. But when I buy a book, I want to lose myself in the story…not feel like I’m plowing through it.

is this the newest Miles Vorkosigan book??
I picked up the first 3 “Eragon” books in a bundle, plus the fourth book, for my Kindle.

After about the first 15%, I wasn’t super impressed. Way too derivative...and I found the writing style to be rather forced. Given that the author started the series when he was 15, I was hoping it would get better. Plus, I felt like the prologue was awfully short and I had been thrown clueless right into the middle of a story.

Turns out I *had*, as I discovered today that I had mistakenly started with the fourth book instead of the 3-book bundle. Oh, HELL!!! :oops: I love my Kindle, but that’s not a problem I’ve ever had reading actual books!

Good news: now I’ll catch up on the backstory. (Or rather, the initial story). Bad news: now I know the writing isn’t going to get any better. :mad:

Now, if I was a high school English teacher grading the author’s creative writing essay, I’d give it an A+. But when I buy a book, I want to lose myself in the story…not feel like I’m plowing through it.

if you normally read "fantasy" but you hate Eragon series

you might want to read The Wheel of Time Series

I just finished this book.
Sanctus.jpg

Fans of The Da Vinci Code and the likes should definitely check it out, I thought it was quite good. I bought the 2nd book of the trilogy, The Key, that I'll read later.

Just started this one:
11007587.jpg

Any David Baldacci fans here? All books I read from him so far have been entertaining.

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. The first book I could tell was written by a teenager who was just releasing his own fantasy out on paper. As the series progressed, the writing improved, and the character development improved. I felt we got to watch the author grow up, along with the characters and the story.

if you normally read "fantasy" but you hate Eragon series
you might want to read The Wheel of Time Series

Hey, I'm 45 years old and never married. Not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment. :lol: Seriously, it does sound like something I would enjoy. I'm wondering, though, if it's worth it for a newbie to invest that much time on such an epic project, especially knowing that someone else had to use the original author's notes to finish the series.

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. The first book I could tell was written by a teenager who was just releasing his own fantasy out on paper. As the series progressed, the writing improved, and the character development improved. I felt we got to watch the author grow up, along with the characters and the story.

I'm actually liking the story better now that I've started at the *beginning*! But it still feels like the writing is a little too forced - it just doesn't "flow" to the point that I can completely lose myself in the story.

Hey, I'm 45 years old and never married. Not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment. :lol: Seriously, it does sound like something I would enjoy. I'm wondering, though, if it's worth it for a newbie to invest that much time on such an epic project, especially knowing that someone else had to use the original author's notes to finish the series.

I recommend against that. It's incredibly poorly written (although I can't speak to Sanderson's handling of the final books). I read the first six - I'd say probably the first three are worth reading if you really, really get a bug up your ass and need to pick up the series, but after that, the whole thing just snowballs out of control, and not in a good way. There are much better doorstopper-size fantasy series out there.

(I haven't contributed anything to this thread lately because I've been stuck in a reread loop - nothing new to mention!)

I'm actually liking the story better now that I've started at the *beginning*! But it still feels like the writing is a little too forced - it just doesn't "flow" to the point that I can completely lose myself in the story.

Wheel of Time is ok, but is very bloated. It should have been limited to 7 books at most, if not less.