Now Reading...

New Spring- Robert Jordan.

This one's quite good. It's much more tightly-written than JR's usual, probably because it's a prequel.

Just finished: Red Star Rogue, by Sewell and Richmond. If the descriptions of photographic evidence and salvage are accurate, I'll agree that Pearl Harbor and the island of Oahu came within seconds of being annihilated by a Russian sub-launched nuclear missile in March of 1967. In short, we were very, very lucky. :OMG:

Now starting: Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The movie was excellent, one of the best vampire movies I've seen, so it'll be good to read the book it was based on.

Finished reading the Orcs omnibus edition. It was really excellent, but there were too many loose ends, for my liking. However, Stan Nichols is writing more books, so I expect all those loose ends to be tied up. :)

I think I'll start reading Medalon by Jennifer Fallon next. I really like her Wolfblade trilogy.

As a quick aside, Gene Wolfe has been confirmed for Dragon*Con. I was so shocked that I made a phone call to me and Paul's friend Gopal (who is a Wolfe fan himself).

So which book of his would be a good start? He falls outside my horror/urban fantasy track, but he is so respected that I would like to check his work out.

I'm just finishing Book 2 of Kate Elliott's "Crossroads" series, Shadow Gate. Both this and Book 1, Spirit Gate are excellent reads and present a very interesting world. Broad themes of justice and absolute power. The next installment, Traitor Gate is due in August, or so I hear -- looking forward to it.

Next up is Master of Souls by Peter Tremayne. If you like mysteries, the Sister Fidelma series is great, and if you also happen to like Irish history, they are perfect! The whole series is set in 7th century Ireland. Good stuff and engaging whodunnit plots.

As a quick aside, Gene Wolfe has been confirmed for Dragon*Con. I was so shocked that I made a phone call to me and Paul's friend Gopal (who is a Wolfe fan himself).

Wow, I hadn't heard this. Maybe I should check my Dragon*Con email account more than once a week or so? :lol:

So which book of his would be a good start? He falls outside my horror/urban fantasy track, but he is so respected that I would like to check his work out.

He's outside my experience as well. I've heard varying reports, some good, some bad.

BTW, I'm really enjoying Let the Right One In. Even though I'm just a bit over halfway through the book and a lot that happens in the movie has already occurred in the book, I have yet to get the feeling it's dragging.

Can't wait for the DVD release in March! :kickass:

Right now I'm reading "The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life" by Steve Leveen. My sister-in-law bought me a very nice monogrammed pen from this website (http://www.levenger.com/) and they threw the book in, apparently for free. It's interesting. It also got me thinking.....

Anybody here ever been in a reading group? I was once, in about 3rd grade. I'm curious to see if anybody here would want to all read the same book at the same time and discuss it afterward.

I read the first two Elric Omnibus editions. The third one made no sense, and was not chronological at all. I was rather disappointed. But the first two (which would be the first six books, I believe) were amazing. :)

I'm not sure what I'll read next. Perhaps another Tom Holt book.

I read the first two Elric Omnibus editions. The third one made no sense, and was not chronological at all. I was rather disappointed. But the first two (which would be the first six books, I believe) were amazing. :)

I plan to only read the first six. I may then move on to the Corum books as those were quite good too. I've got to go back and read the Castle Brass trilogy as well. Those were definitely my favorite, non-Elric, Eternal Champoin books.

"The Watchmen
graphic novel. I've never read it, but picked it up from the library. So far, it's good, and it is making me want to see the upcoming movie (about which I was on the fence between cool and hokey).

Steve in Philly

The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons and Growing Up Strange, A Memoir - Mark Barrowcliffe

Getting my inner geek on and finding I was nowhere near as defective as the author in the years that D&D ruled my life as a kid. :lol:

Anybody here ever been in a reading group? I was once, in about 3rd grade. I'm curious to see if anybody here would want to all read the same book at the same time and discuss it afterward.

I love this idea...although can you imagine how long the thread would be just to get everyone here to agree on one book? :lol:

I see a lot of book groups advertised in the entertainment section of my local paper and always thought they would be fun...but they all seem to be weekdays during the day. I will probably try one if I find myself unemployed in the near future. :)

Now Reading: Randy Pausch - The Last Lecture

Green - Jay Lake

Lake is one of those guys that critics seem to love, but I had never read. So far Green is more of a character study than a plot-driven fantasy novel...and I'm liking it quite a bit! I also call it a fantasy novel in the loosest sense--take out one or two characters and this could have been an historical fiction novel dropped into our own Southeast Asia region/history...so far, anyways.

I just finished a nifty "bargain" book I picked up at Barnes and Noble, A Dark History of the Roman Emperors, a coffee-table sized book for about $13. Nicely illustrated and chock-full of dirt I had only hitherto suspected. :lol: (Amazingly, Nero and Caligula were arguably not the worst emperors in Roman history! :yow: )