Now Reading...

Speaking of zombies.....wasn't the Chattanooga Zombie Walk last night? :D

Also speaking of, err, Zombie-like stuff, Halloween 2 is currently filming in and around Atlanta...specifically in downtown Decatur, and for the last two days at the Starlite Drive-In with 200+ extras. Rob Zombie is in town for a few months for it.

Now reading myself: "The Living Dead," an anthology by (metal fan...check his blog on Amazon) John Joseph Adams. It is sold as a zombie anthology, though there is quite a lot of diversity in it - and I am just over 100 pages into it. I have been on a zombie kick lately as a direct result of "Twilight." It's kind of hard to turn a zombie into a teen idol.

I got this book from the Sci-Fi Book Club a few weeks ago. I haven't read it yet, but I got it since I enjoyed World War Z, an Oral History of the Zombie War so much. Let me know how The Living Dead is, would you? :) I'll probably read this next.

I'm currently reading the Nightwish Biography. Apparently Tuomas REALLY likes Pantera. I never would have guessed. And the book is slightly biased against Tarja. It's subtle, but it's there. All in all, if you're a Nightwish fan, it's an interesting read.

After a friend insisted for months that I read it, I'm finally checking out The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. It's alright so far.

Also, on the side, reading Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Soderlind. Saw it in Borders, figured I'd flip through a little. Sure, most of it is stuff that is common knowledge, but it's just something to sit there and look through when I'm bored.

I got this book from the Sci-Fi Book Club a few weeks ago. I haven't read it yet, but I got it since I enjoyed World War Z, an Oral History of the Zombie War so much. Let me know how The Living Dead is, would you? :) I'll probably read this next.

Overall, it is very different than "World War Z." There are some stories with post-apocalyptic backdrops, but not all - which is perfectly fine with me, because an anthology that size benefits from different approaches. But some people were upset that it isn't all Romero homages. So far, it is an excellent anthology.

Speaking of zombies.....wasn't the Chattanooga Zombie Walk last night? :D

Also speaking of, err, Zombie-like stuff, Halloween 2 is currently filming in and around Atlanta...specifically in downtown Decatur, and for the last two days at the Starlite Drive-In with 200+ extras. Rob Zombie is in town for a few months for it.

Cool! I had no idea...I'll have to go downtown and see what I can see...

:zombie:

Overall, it is very different than "World War Z." There are some stories with post-apocalyptic backdrops, but not all - which is perfectly fine with me, because an anthology that size benefits from different approaches. But some people were upset that it isn't all Romero homages. So far, it is an excellent anthology.

If you guys are on a zombie kick, check out Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry out this month. It's kind of Jack Bauer vs. Islamic Terrorist Zombies...lots of testosterone and fast-paced action--with zombies!

GRRM's approach to zombies

A zombie,as written by GRRM:

"Grrr, I think I'll rise from the grave any time now!"

<1 year later>

"OK, I think I'm almost ready! Grrrr!"

<3 years later>

"This time I mean it! I'm almost ready to rise from the grave as long as I have
time to work on it! Grrr!"

<5 years later>

"Here I go! But wait, it's too hard to get all of me out of the ground at once, so I'm only going to let my upper half rise! Brains!"

<6 years later>

"My second half will be coming out of the ground any time now!"

Repeat for several more years, and for at least two more zombies.

If you guys are on a zombie kick, check out Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry out this month. It's kind of Jack Bauer vs. Islamic Terrorist Zombies...lots of testosterone and fast-paced action--with zombies!

"Patient Zero" is definitely on my list - Jonathan Maberry is one of my "Dragon*Con all-stars," and I have heard some very good things about it. I read his "non-fiction" book "Zombie CSU" - basically a book of how a law enforcement agency would realistically handle a zombie outbreak, as well as current zombie pop culture in general, and it was cool. It's obvious that the guy is a fan and not just riding out a fad.

A zombie,as written by GRRM:

"Grrr, I think I'll rise from the grave any time now!"

<1 year later>

"OK, I think I'm almost ready! Grrrr!"

<3 years later>

"This time I mean it! I'm almost ready to rise from the grave as long as I have
time to work on it! Grrr!"

<5 years later>

"Here I go! But wait, it's too hard to get all of me out of the ground at once, so I'm only going to let my upper half rise! Brains!"

<6 years later>

"My second half will be coming out of the ground any time now!"

Repeat for several more years, and for at least two more zombies.

:lol: I see I'm not the only one irritated with GRRM and his inability to get anything done with his series.

Latest word is fully completed by June, and if so, it should be out by October.

I think the reason why there is some confusion over the release date is that originally, Dance With Dragons was scheduled as the second book, and GRRM did have much of it written at one point...but when he split the book into two parts by character, he had to re-do a lot of it. I'm paraphrasing from his website, which I looked at last night.

I have no doubt it will be worth the wait...and I'm quite disgusted at the "fans" who have been giving him pluperfect hell for not finishing the book quicker, for daring to work on other projects instead, for daring to go to Europe rather than finish the book, etc. Nekulturny.

Now reading the latest James Patterson book "MAX", but now i have to go back and reread the ones in the MAXIMUM RIDE series again including "When the Wind Blows' and "The Lake House"

I'm finishing the third of Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Trilogy," which is his retelling of the Arthur tale he wrote in the mid to late 90's. Its really a fantastic few books. He's mixed elements of the historic post-Roman Celtic Britain with the anachronisms you would expect from the Arthur tales. Highly entertaining and very character-driven. And if you have ever read anything by Cornwell, you know he has the art of making you feel the need to always turn the next page into a science. I have not once willingly put these books down.