NS10 Identify help

SPLASTiK

Jan 1, 2004
Alaska
Ok, so I found this guy who lives 10 hours away (and I'm actually driving through there in a couple weeks) and has a pair of NS10's from the late 60's.

Says they work great and he's looking to get $50 Canadian for them! He also has an Soundcraftsmen amp for $225 but I'm a little strapped for cash

The thing is, they aren't the traditional black and white ones you see in all the pictures these days:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/chazl/Me/ns10.jpg

I was talking to an engineer friend and he said he hasn't seen ones with that grille before, but has seen ones similar that were at Little Mountain Studios (Aerosmith, Metallica, AC/DC, among others) here in Vancouver back in the day:
http://www.audiovancouver.com/history/lms/brooks-pic10.jpg

Anybody know where I can find good NS-10 info or have an idea what they are? I've been looking and can't really find anything anywhere. Are these like a home consumer edition maybe?

If there from the 60's and been used , They are probly not in the best of shape. and for $50 you cant expect much from them. Id say to save up a little more and get some with the white cone. Unless those are collectors items , then they should be worth more than $50!! Good luck!

adrianvillan said:
If there from the 60's and been used , They are probly not in the best of shape. and for $50 you cant expect much from them. Id say to save up a little more and get some with the white cone. Unless those are collectors items , then they should be worth more than $50!! Good luck!

I just talked to an old tech and sent him the picture. He's been around a long time and has loads of cool stories (hanging out with Pete Townsend, telling Duran Duran to fuck off after seeing them snort coke off the console!) and he says they're really really shitty and not the good studio ones from the era.

So I guess the search for some cheap NS-10's contines :Spin:

Quote from Pepper Keenan from a cool interview (here http://www.guitar.com/cda/ColumnCor...px?sPath=8181000c2220000000010000791f00000000 )

Keenan: It varies. For solos, we probably are out in the live room with the amp, or sometimes we'll do it in the control room. When we're in the control room, we'll just crank the monitors up extremely loud. When we made the Down record, we probably blew up about 30 Yamaha NS-10 monitors because we were doing solos in the control room. We had inline fuses, but we kept popping them. But we were actually getting feedback from the monitors! When you don't have headphones on and you're tracking in the control room, it makes you feel like you're playing "in the record," and sometimes it kind of sounds like it isn't even you playing. It's definitely different from being in the live room, but it sounds bad as shit!

Andy Sneap said:
Duran Duran doing coke off the console, what our Simon.....never

He has loads of Duran Duran stories from when he was working at some studio they recorded at.... They're not very good ones either.

Some cool Beatles stories too as he did some work with George Martin... He actually looks like an scrubbier older looking George Harrison.

Degenerate said:

I blew the woffer on an NS-10 the other day at a studio doing a little mixing. Was very strange feeling....