NWOAHM

Lothlorien said:
As a citizen of the state of Iowa I feel I should give my opinion on this topic. Personally, the area I live in which is the shoutheast part of Iowa is a hotbed for bands that are in the hardcore/emo/screamo scene. Personally I am going to admit that I do go to quite a few hardcore/screamo concerts in my area. I do it mostly because it's a concert and why not if the charge is only $5 for 6 bands.

Now being around all these hardcore/emo fans has made me kind of realize why so many people love this type of music. Emo is pretty much a genre based on letting broken hearted teens have music to weep to. I'll admit that I am a sucker for a few emo bands. I am only 19 years old and the bands that I listen to that are emo are ones that I have a close bond to with my girlfriend and a couple friends. We can actually bond with this music, although it is almost a guilty pleasure for me.

Hardcore is another story. I go to hardcore shows as well and I have also found some keen observations while at them. For one, I admit I am a fan of some hardcore bands, however, I do consider them like emo a guilty pleasure. I dont read the lyrics in the liner notes of the emo/hardcore cds I have and study them and fall in love with every word like I do with my Opeth and other prog/metal bands. HOWEVER, I realize why so many people like me have a soft spot for hardcore, it's the feeling you get from it. A breakdown is the most overused part in every hardcore song, however being at a concert and feeling the emotion of a breakdown is a pretty cool feeling, no matter how many bands overuse it.

With all of this being said, there is nothing like Opeth for me. I have never ever ever ever been moved in any physical/mental way like I have with Opeth. I have no desire to share my love of Opeth with friends/family because it is mine. Although I'm only 19 Opeth will be with me for the rest of my life. They have impacted me more than anything ever has in my life. Like most of you I worship Opeth not becuase they are super heavy and super soft, but becuase they have become such a part of our lives. For the past five years I have listened to Opeth, every CD of theirs over and over again, and every time I realize how great it is to know this band, and that alone is why no matter what else I listen to, Opeth always comes first.

honesty will get you nothing but flames

Opeth > everyone, you are correct :headbang:

Lothlorien said:
As a citizen of the state of Iowa I feel I should give my opinion on this topic. Personally, the area I live in which is the shoutheast part of Iowa is a hotbed for bands that are in the hardcore/emo/screamo scene. Personally I am going to admit that I do go to quite a few hardcore/screamo concerts in my area. I do it mostly because it's a concert and why not if the charge is only $5 for 6 bands.

Now being around all these hardcore/emo fans has made me kind of realize why so many people love this type of music. Emo is pretty much a genre based on letting broken hearted teens have music to weep to. I'll admit that I am a sucker for a few emo bands. I am only 19 years old and the bands that I listen to that are emo are ones that I have a close bond to with my girlfriend and a couple friends. We can actually bond with this music, although it is almost a guilty pleasure for me.

Hardcore is another story. I go to hardcore shows as well and I have also found some keen observations while at them. For one, I admit I am a fan of some hardcore bands, however, I do consider them like emo a guilty pleasure. I dont read the lyrics in the liner notes of the emo/hardcore cds I have and study them and fall in love with every word like I do with my Opeth and other prog/metal bands. HOWEVER, I realize why so many people like me have a soft spot for hardcore, it's the feeling you get from it. A breakdown is the most overused part in every hardcore song, however being at a concert and feeling the emotion of a breakdown is a pretty cool feeling, no matter how many bands overuse it.

With all of this being said, there is nothing like Opeth for me. I have never ever ever ever been moved in any physical/mental way like I have with Opeth. I have no desire to share my love of Opeth with friends/family because it is mine. Although I'm only 19 Opeth will be with me for the rest of my life. They have impacted me more than anything ever has in my life. Like most of you I worship Opeth not becuase they are super heavy and super soft, but becuase they have become such a part of our lives. For the past five years I have listened to Opeth, every CD of theirs over and over again, and every time I realize how great it is to know this band, and that alone is why no matter what else I listen to, Opeth always comes first.

I like some hardcore but don't like the concerts because there's always a bunch of slamdancers or people ninja dancing

Except...the garbage bands in any local scenes today aren't emo. Thanks, good night. Read fourfa or something (google for it)

Also, I think Trivium are pretty decent. They're a nice live band. The guitar is good stuff, but Heafy's vocals leave something to be desired.

Jon Snow said:
honesty will get you nothing but flames

Yeah true, but it's just my opinion. I also forgot to mention that I hear alot of you guys praising how Between the Buried and Me are great, which they are, but they have alot of influence from hardcore as well as many other genres. I'm not sticking up for hardcore but something as beautiful as BTBAM can include something like hardcore.

edit: I just read NoQuarter's post on Between the Buried and Me, my apologies.

The Greys said:
New Wave of American Homo Metal.

bbwaahh ha

:lol:

pancakesarebusiness3cg.jpg

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Thanks for officially getting this thread back off-track.

Here, I'll fix it:

NEW WAVE OF AMERICAN HEAVY METAL IS SHITE

That doesn't include any bands before 1999 or so then.
hee