NWOBHM - The Survivors

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
I'm curious as to what bands 'survived' the NWOBHM movement of the early 80s with their careers intact (however tenuous).

Obviously, there's Iron Maiden, Def Leppard (who say they were never part of it, but I disagree) and Saxon - but what others? Or are these the only 3?

There are still a few others around in various formats.
Here are a few.
Angelwitch
Demon
Samson
Tygers of Pang Tang
Praying Mantis
Diamond Head (Just played some acoustic shows)
Wychefinde
Girlschool

and I think most of the others have reformed at some point along the way. Some good bands and some distictly average.:D

Yeah, DEMON are one of the few NWOBHM bands NEVER to split up, theyve had a lot of lineup changes, though Dave Hill (Vocals) has always been at the mike. www.the-demon.com :)

DEMON - Leeks premier export, apart from cheese. You know it makes sense :)

Diamond Head is obviously one of my favorite bands and for good reasons. However I wouldn't personally say they survived. They spilt up several times, reformed with new members and in all honesty their work after the break wasn't very good. I loved Lightning to the Nations, Am I Evil, and many of their early albums. I bought Diamond Nights and To Heaven from Hell, and Behold the Beginning because they were all the older material, but when I bought The Best of Diamond Head and on it were songs like Ishmael, and To the Devil His Due, I knew that Diamond Head hadn't made it out of the NWOBHM movement alive, or at least as the old Diamond Head that I know and love.
Then again like Black Lagoon said They are playing acoustic shows over in small Enlgish Bars and it's the old DH. I would have payed a lot of money to have seen one of those shows....
Are they still playing in England now, or are they done for ever?

I think those acoustic Diamond Head shows were one-offs, but I'm not sure. They got a website, why not check it? :)

I think, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard are the only bands to have really survived the NWOBHM, though I doubt you can call DL metal now (unless they're about the really surprise me). Saxon, are, of course, still going strong, but I think it's safe to say they're playing the underdogs. Which is a shame, because they deserve to be as big as Maiden. :cry:

All the others still going, well.....personally, I'd say they're in a bit of a sorry state....

That seems like a pretty complete list to me.

Angelwitch have just broken up again I beleive.

Mantis are in a state of suspension (despite a pretty good disk a few years back)

Saxon are still doing well and remaining very popular outside the UK, though their UK crowds have been growing recently.

Demon played some support slots before Christmas to Graham Bonnet.

Diamond Head are supposed to have some 'electric' gigs coming up.

I gave up on Def Leppard years ago - having loved them around the time of their first couple of disks.

Maiden are doing solid if not spectacular business - not that I find them very exciting myself.

Girlschool got back together again last year (2001) I think.

I've seen people lump the likes of Budgie (also back in action) and even Judas priest in with NWOBHM - even if they had careers years before the name was created. Difficult to beat the Priest of the late 70s/early 80s IMHO.

I'm sure that one or two other bands could be tempted out of retirement by the promise of big cheque for an appearance at Wacken or another big festival :)

Originally posted by veil the sky
Leppard survived man!!!

I have all their albums and I love every one. I think that Slang has some of the best songs they ever recorded!!!

I love Def Leppard!!!

I agree totally!!!!

I wish they would do more along the lines of Slang.
Absolutely a fantastic release!!!!!!

:D

Originally posted by veil the sky
Leppard survived man!!!

I have all their albums and I love every one. I think that Slang has some of the best songs they ever recorded!!!

I love Def Leppard!!!

Of course Leppard survived! But, christ, Hysteria was borderline metal, if that! From what I've heard they've mellowed out even more since then. Are you gonna surprise me and say they've done a turnaround, and are about to cover a Deicide track for their next single? ;)

Well, I hope not, but it's not like you have to be Deicide to be called metal now is it!

The new album is actually heavier than Hysteria, but I'm not hugely interested in what the boundaries of 'metal' really are. They're probably usually described as 'hard rock' for the record, but they still have made kick-ass records for over twenty years and that's worthy of accolade!

I don't give a f*ck when I listen to Hysteria whether it's actually gonna be called metal by whoever bothers to classify these things. I just listen to and think. 'Holy shit this is one great album.'

'Love Bites!!!' I mean if I could write songs like that then I'd be rich and happy.

It's fine if you don't care if it is or isn't metal, but the fact still remains - I wanna know if it is or isn't?!

The fact they can still make great records is still prolly more important, I suppose is true :)

OK. Let us investigate this case.

Are Def Leppard metal?

Our first line of enquiry then, must properly be, what is metal?

We must know what it is that makes music METAL for a band to be so called. Post your thoughts on this age old enquiry .....post haste!!! :cool: