NYC Irving Plaza 1/19/03 Review - long

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
I've finished my review of the show, and even though it should wait for its actual publication...I'll post it here for you all to read. Here goes:

Irving Plaza, New York City, NY – January 19, 2003

The long-awaited day had arrived. And it was bitter cold.

JayKeeley, DarkOne, and some friends of ours all made the trip into Manhattan for our first-ever Opeth show, and the fact they were headlining on this 13-show tour made our excitement all the more palpable. Of course, the fact that the show was opposite my Oakland Raiders in the AFC Championship game proved to be difficult for me to swallow, but as it would turn out, I wound up not caring in the least. After sucking down a good number of Ireland’s finest and some chicken wings while watching the earlier football game, JayKeeley arrived and we began our walk to the venue. When we got there, Irving Plaza was submitting concert-goers to the customary metal detection and patdown, and getting in looked like a serious pain in the arse. The line was nearly 1 ½ city blocks long, so we opted for more beer around the corner instead of near zero-degree temperatures.

By approximately 8 PM, we finally made our way into the venue, and had apparently just missed Tapping The Vein, so apologies if you’re reading this live review to find out about them (I somehow doubt you are). Making our way to the bar, we ran into old and new friends alike, everyone in unison about how damned excited we were for this show. Before we knew it, the famous (infamous) Nick Holmes and Paradise Lost took the stage. Not really knowing what to expect – I only have Draconian Times after all – I will admit to being a bit disappointed by just how poppy they are. Starting strong with a recognizable tune off the aforementioned Draconian Times, my head was nodding and I was getting into the show a bit. But after about 6 consecutive Depeche Mode-tinged pop metal songs, myself and many others felt it was time for them to wrap up. I won’t lie, I was considerably intoxicated at this point, but I felt that Paradise Lost just didn’t have “it” anymore and they’re certainly not my cup of tea. They would be far more appealing on Siousxie & The Banshees next tour, not supporting Opeth’s first headlining North American gigs.

After what seemed like the longest intermission I’ve ever sat through (all the while trying to avoid my 2 friends who thought it was great fun trying to tell me the score of the Raiders/Titans game I was taping for later viewing), 10 PM rolled around, and it was time. Time for Mikael (Akerfeldt), Peter (Lindgren), Martin (Mendez) and Martin (Lopez) to take the stage. No big, elaborate stage set-up, no pyrotechnics, no flashy stagewear, just 4 Swedes prepared to sonically assault 1,000 New Yorkers’ ears and minds for the next hour and forty-five minutes. And sonically assault they did. Wasting no time launching into “The Leper Affinity,” Akerfeldt absolutely commanded the stage, weaving magic from his guitar while Lindgren, Mendez & Lopez provided the “stop-on-a-dime” tightness so many have come to expect from this band. There were so many headbanging moments even in the first few moments, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to hold up throughout the entire show! Having already seen the first 2 night’s setlists, I knew “Advent” was next. What I didn’t know was just how well that song translated in a live environment. One of Opeth’s longer numbers, I was unsure how a 13+ minute song would work live. Fear not: there wasn’t even 1 boring second. As I mentioned earlier, Akerfeldt and friends had the audience eating out of the palm of its hand, following every new riff, every snare smash, every lick. I must’ve turned to my 2 Opeth newbie friends and screamed “They are so fucking insane!” at the top of my lungs about 35 times, and we were only 2 songs into the show!

By the time the now-familiar intro riff to “Deliverance” began, I was in headbanging heaven, air-guitaring away like a deranged maniac. The sheer emotion of Mikael’s playing sent goosebumps down my back and arms, and as contrived and cliché as that sounds, it truly happened. Mikael effortlessly shifted between clean gothic-tinged singing and low growling, never missing a single beat within the songs. They were absolutely amazing, jumping right into “The Drapery Falls,” a new favorite of mine. This could possibly have been the best song of the night, though it’s safe to say I could have said that about every song (with the exception of “Credence”). Beginning with the comfortably slower groove and picking up the pace, the song was bliss. By the time they came back out of the lengthy grooving instrumental passage into the cleanly-voiced choral reprise, the grin on my face threatened to split my head in two. I could have gone home right then and there. As it was, we were still to be treated to 4 more songs and an encore. “Godhead’s Lament” represented their older stuff more than ably. “Credence” was up next, and as I’ve already made note of, is just not a song I’ve ever really liked. On the other hand, it gave both band and audience a much-needed breather in which I was able to sneak out to the bathroom before the band launched into a primal version of “Bleak.” Perhaps it was due to its following on the heels of the calm “Credence”; perhaps it was just more full of energy than usual. All I know is that “Bleak” destroyed. The 3 morons next to me who decided to get into a fight at that point evidently felt the same way, but even their idiocy couldn’t wreck the rocking brilliant death metal on display at this point. I decided at this time that the Blackwater Park material, while often maligned by elitist fans, held up extremely well live, at times surpassing their older brothers in terms of both power and polish.

Like the first 2 shows on the tour, Mikael announced the next song, the new ”A Fair Judgement” off Deliverance would be their last. I won’t say I was upset, because at this point, I was completely wasted, ha ha. Figuratively and literally. After completely owning the stage, they were done, just like that. It was hellishly cool to hear and witness 1,000 metalheads pumping their fists in the air and chanting “O-peth! O-peth! O-peth!” for the next 5 minutes, urging on the inevitable encore. The boys didn’t keep us waiting too long, and came back with horns held high. Mikael stepped to the mic and in his trademark low, low voice said: “Let’s see some fucking crowd surfing on this one, eh?” Which could only mean one thing…”Demon! Demon of the fall! Demon! Demon of the fall!” The place erupted into one giant swirling pit, hair a-flying, arms and legs a-flailing. Mikael’s growl never sounded better. Mendez kept whipping his hair around windmill style, a la Jason Newsted circa 1989, and Lopez battered the skins like a maniac. America, meet Opeth. And they were done, and so was I. I have to say, they completely blew me away, enough for me to automatically vault them into the top 5 concerts I’ve ever seen! I also have to say that anyone who seriously considers themselves a metalhead and slags Opeth is only doing so simply because they’re “rebelling” against the band just for being so worshipped. If you ask me, the worship is deserved. All hail Opeth.

10 hellacious headbangs.

Reviewer(s): markgugs

Well said.

Paradise Lost were most notable for their funny self depreciating banter between songs...

"hello, we're 5 Limey cocksuckers"

"raise your hand if you give a damn....four..."

"you're moshing, I feel like Scott Ian..."

"we've been together for 45 years and this is only the second time we've played New York."

"Let's hear it for the invisible keyboard player."

"Thank you for not throwing things at us."

Tapping the Vein don't really compare to Opeth, but they weren't bad. Heather has a cool angsty voice when she yells and it's always cool to see a woman fronting a heavy band, IMHO.

Lacuna Coil was sorely missed.

Wow! Great review Mark. You nailed it to a T.

It was an absoluetly INSANE show. I'm honored to have attended it with you guys. I can only hope that tonight's show in my hometown of Philly will have the same intensity, energy and sheer-headbanging delight of the Irving Plaza show. A show which has vaulted into my top 5 of all time as well instantaneously. It even made me completely forget about the wretched display put on earlier by my beloved Philadelphia Eagles, by no means an easy task.

You wanted the best? You got the best!

Opeth rule.

Period.

At the worcester, MA show, 2 times things were thrown at Paradies Lost, so I guess that line came out natural at the NY show. (since I guess noone threw anything)

Great review mark! Very professionally written. Where will it be published?

This was my second time seeing Opeth. I saw them when they were opening for Nevemore. I think last time they looked a little shy, but were definitely more confident this time around. You could tell that they were really having fun playing!

I thougt it was funny when Michael said something that I could not understand (I think he was talking to the guy at the mixing board) and the crowd kinda started cheering. Then he goes, 'did you understand what I said? It was in Swedish'.

I think I should say something about Tapping the Vein. This was my third time seeing them, and I think they are quite decent. I was pissed off that it took me so long to get into the building, so by the time I made my way to the floor they were 3 songs into their set. But what pissed me off the most was the crowd's reaction. Some assholes kept screaming "we want Opeth" and "you suck", so Heather was almost apologizing at some point and was saying something like "Michael likes our music and says I have a good voice" and "don't make me cry". Come on folks, this is no way to treat a lady! She puts so much emotions into the songs, and the lyrics (which she writes) are darkly beautiful, if you care to listen.

I don't undertand what's all the excitement about Paradise Lost. They sounded like a heavy metal version of Oasis or any other generic British rock band. I did try to get into their music and listened to 3 of their albums, but to be honest they bore the shit out of me. Their live set was even more boring than their albums.

-GK

Thanks so much fellas for the kind words! That was my first attempt at writing a true live music review (though I'll admit to having a Journalism degree, so I had *some* assistance).

As for where this will actually be published...heh heh...I can't actually say yet (since the site's not up yet), but rest assured a TON of hard work has gone into it and more of the same high quality writing (errr, I feel strange saying that about my own writing) will be there. I'll be sure to make an announcement when it's ready.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by GKnight56
I think I should say something about Tapping the Vein. This was my third time seeing them, and I think they are quite decent. I was pissed off that it took me so long to get into the building, so by the time I made my way to the floor they were 3 songs into their set. But what pissed me off the most was the crowd's reaction. Some assholes kept screaming "we want Opeth" and "you suck", so Heather was almost apologizing at some point and was saying something like "Michael likes our music and says I have a good voice" and "don't make me cry". Come on folks, this is no way to treat a lady! She puts so much emotions into the songs, and the lyrics (which she writes) are darkly beautiful, if you care to listen.

I don't undertand what's all the excitement about Paradise Lost. They sounded like a heavy metal version of Oasis or any other generic British rock band. I did try to get into their music and listened to 3 of their albums, but to be honest they bore the shit out of me. Their live set was even more boring than their albums.

-GK

I couldn't agree more about your assessment of Tapping The Vein and Paradise Lost. I liked TTV. She really was emotional during her set - and I like the way she hits her head with the mike or her fist. She was genuinely getting into her music. And I liked the drum machine. It really filled up the air. Heather has a very clean voice, and a powerful one to boot. And she dealt with the lousy crowd reaction very professionally, unlike the lead singer of Paradise Lost.

As for Paradise Lost - one word: boring.

I said this in my review of the Worcester, MA show. And I can see I'm not alone in what I saw.

Best part of the show was when I got the crowd chanting "Sweden! Sweden! Sweden!..." After I yelled at the top of my lungs..."WE LOVE SWEDISH PEOPLE!!!" The chant followed...Mikael then says some stuff in Swedish, and we are all like "ummmmm" and then Brooks yells "YEAH FUCK YOU TOO!" :lol:

I swear to god, it was like there were only 20 or so HARD CORE die hard fans there, and we were ALL situated in the front left of the stage. We were all yelling and screaming, singing, growling, having fun, you know high fiving eachother, turning on the lighters in appropriate times...The rest of the crowd just stood there pretty much LIFELESS, especially the twits on the balconies. All us dudes in the front got there, foze our ass off for 5 hrs, and went nuts the whole show. \m/ :D

Originally posted by GKnight56
I think I should say something about Tapping the Vein. This was my third time seeing them, and I think they are quite decent. But what pissed me off the most was the crowd's reaction. Some assholes kept screaming "we want Opeth" and "you suck", so Heather was almost apologizing at some point and was saying something like "Michael likes our music and says I have a good voice" and "don't make me cry". Come on folks, this is no way to treat a lady!

What would you expect from metal-heads?!? On average, most metal-heads are amongst the most closed-minded, disrespectful people on the planet, yet, simaltaneously, deride all other peoples for being that way.
It's the typical metal "attitude" which actually works to keep metal-heads down.

I love metal. I despise the so-called "metal attitude".

Originally posted by SoundMaster
What would you expect from metal-heads?!? On average, most metal-heads are amongst the most closed-minded, disrespectful people on the planet, yet, simaltaneously, deride all other peoples for being that way.
It's the typical metal "attitude" which actually works to keep metal-heads down.

I love metal. I despise the so-called "metal attitude".

It's funny how you're the one condemning an "attitude", and yet you begin your post with a blatant stereotypical comment like "What would you expect from metal-heads?!?", and making other generalizations about an entire group of people based on a few bad apples. Gee, that sounds familiar doesn't it? Intolerance of any kind sucks. If you're going to live in a glass house, don't throw stones.