O/T Have I got issues?

BIGPHAT442 said:
If I don't have the original with the artwork and everything, I feel like I don't have it. I hate burned discs in my library too. A lot of people don't understand that. Maybe i'm a little strange?

I'm the same way, I'm obsessive about my collection.

Interesting post.

I loathe MP3s. I only have some on my hardrives for my MP3player and those are all in 192-256K format. Needless to say, it takes up a lot of space. I won't even sample music in mp3s. I don't undestand Itunes. Why should I pay 9-10 bucks a cd for degraded quality? It's a rip off

I also collect a lot of bootlegs, but only if they are in flac or some other lossless format.

As far as copied cds, I have a lot but I try and replace them with originals if I really like them. Copied cds won't last as long, and too many errors can creep into your burned cds during the copying process.....

So basically, I probably have more issues than you.

Carcassian said:
Sorry about the somewhat misleading topic title, I'm sure most of you would agree that I have.

The basic question is a response to a friend who thinks Im weird because I can't stand to have copied CDs in my collection, and even MP3's (unless I can't physically buy a CD because it was never released on CD) makes me uneasy. The way he sees it, having stuff on MP3 is fine and dandy, as he buys the merch at shows etc but....

Well, I don't wanna come off as the ultimate avenger, because hell, I love listening to live bootlegs as much as the next guy, but for me, if someone burns me a cd and I like it, I always buy it, because I can't stand to have a copy nestling in between all of my lovely original CDs.

So am I fucking retard or what ? I'm starting to think that my mania for original music is starting to become an obsession...
No! People who get alot of burned cds are CHEAP FUCKERS that dont want to support a band by buying thier original cd. Im old school and go to bestbuy to pay $13 for a cd.

ZeeZooZum said:
Interesting post.

I loathe MP3s. I only have some on my hardrives for my MP3player and those are all in 192-256K format. Needless to say, it takes up a lot of space. I won't even sample music in mp3s. I don't undestand Itunes. Why should I pay 9-10 bucks a cd for degraded quality? It's a rip off

I also collect a lot of bootlegs, but only if they are in flac or some other lossless format.

As far as copied cds, I have a lot but I try and replace them with originals if I really like them. Copied cds won't last as long, and too many errors can creep into your burned cds during the copying process.....

So basically, I probably have more issues than you.

*ding*ding*ding*
We have a winner!

I think a lot of appeal for Ipods is their trendiness. I remember asking my little brother (he's 13) if he would take another mp3 player over an Ipod if it were cheaper, of better quality and had higher capacity. (He wanted one for Xmas.) He said NO. It wasn't until a salesman at a store told him what a ripoff Ipods were that he finally settled on a different type.

Still, though, he has crappy mp3s of AC/DC songs like "Back in Black" and "TNT." I have the remastered CDs which I usually only paid around $10 or $11 for. And they have superior sound, packaging and liner notes.

schenkadere said:
See, now I'd be pissed if I knew I purchased an open CD.

That is pretty shady.
At the Borders I went to in Chicago near the House of Blues they have this sytem where you can scan a CD and listen to it for a while. Of course, Borders doesn't have the greatest metal selection in the world. I remember them kicking out some thug who would go in there and listen to hip-hop and sing really loudly.

jdelpi said:
*ding*ding*ding*
We have a winner!

I think a lot of appeal for Ipods is their trendiness. I remember asking my little brother (he's 13) if he would take another mp3 player over an Ipod if it were cheaper, of better quality and had higher capacity. (He wanted one for Xmas.) He said NO. It wasn't until a salesman at a store told him what a ripoff Ipods were that he finally settled on a different type.

Still, though, he has crappy mp3s of AC/DC songs like "Back in Black" and "TNT." I have the remastered CDs which I usually only paid around $10 or $11 for. And they have superior sound, packaging and liner notes.

Exactly, I didn't spend a lot of money on speakers, recievers, etc. to crank out Anthrax or AC/DC at a bit rate of 128. Sounds like shit. The MP3 player (I have a Zen Arcade) is nice for traveling and things like that, but as my primary form of playing music. :puke:

The convience of MP3s is going to lead people, especially kids, to accept worse and worse sound quality.

ZeeZooZum said:
Exactly, I didn't spend a lot of money on speakers, recievers, etc. to crank out Anthrax or AC/DC at a bit rate of 128. Sounds like shit. The MP3 player (I have a Zen Arcade) is nice for traveling and things like that, but as my primary form of playing music. :puke:

The convience of MP3s is going to lead people, especially kids, to accept worse and worse sound quality.

Yeah really.
And what the fuck is up with people using cell phones for so many other purposes now? It seems to me like on one end, technology is making things better and better, but on the other end, things are getting worse. I admit, I have a camera phone. I use the camera for taking pictures of things I might want that I see in stores that I want to research later (books, CDs, DVDs, humidifiers). I also use it to take pictures of my cat to use as a desktop. But my camera phone will never take the place of a real camera. Now I see ads for downloading songs onto cell phones. WHY? WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY TO LISTEN TO A SONG ON THE PHONE?

Yeah, pretty much if the barcode isn't "scanned" at the store, or at the very least, the artist/title is tracked by the store (often by hand/PC), it can't be reported back to the distro/label/etc. for SoundScan purposes. And DeepDiscount doesn't do that, which is why they're able to be so inexpensive.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Yeah, pretty much if the barcode isn't "scanned" at the store, or at the very least, the artist/title is tracked by the store (often by hand/PC), it can't be reported back to the distro/label/etc. for SoundScan purposes. And DeepDiscount doesn't do that, which is why they're able to be so inexpensive.

But where do they get repackaged? Don't smaller, "local," stores not scan for SoundScan either?

I guess DeepDiscount repackages them themselves, that part I don't know, but haven't you ever noticed that when you get a CD from them, it doesn't have the annoying sticky thing sealing it? It's because that CD has been opened before. At least it was that way with the couple orders I've ever made from them.

As for the local stores, they don't scan them, no (primarily because so much metal comes from Euro labels that don't even shrinkwrap them to begin with), but they DO keep a record (either by hand or on a PC) of what's been sold. It's how they a) know what to restock and b) report back to the labels or distros as "sold."

At least that's how it works at the several local metal stores I've been to and shop at.

jpike said:
No! People who get alot of burned cds are CHEAP FUCKERS that dont want to support a band by buying thier original cd. Im old school and go to bestbuy to pay $13 for a cd.
You the man. :headbang:
Technology has made it easy. Enjoy while you can cause this is going to come with a big price sooner or later and fucked up restrictions. I count the days when vynil and 70s hair cuts is the shit again. Um, minus the hair cuts :D

old tits

If I like the CD, I buy it. But most of my CD players also play MP3's, including the one in my car, so these days I rip the 14-16 CDs I've picked up most recently, rip'em into mp3 and make 1 mega-CD that I can listen to for a couple weeks without hearing the same song twice. I've got so many fucking CDs in my collection, I don't have shalf space to display them anymore, so I don't care so much about having the actual CD...

...the thing that gets me is sites that charge $10 or more to download an entire CD. Let's see, I pay for the blank CD (which has already been surcharged by RIAA (which in my opinion should negate the whole file-sharing is illegal IMO, now they get my money no matter what I use the blank CD for)), I do all the work of downloading and burning it, I get no cover or artwork, they don't have to worry about shipping and distribution, and I only save $2-3 on the purchase price? Fuck you, you're just ASKING me to file-share. (Same thing goes with DVDs these days...absolutley NOTHING in the packaging, so what advanatage are they offering the customers over a burned copy...get with it, people!)

My two cents...and did I mention old tits?:p

i finally caved in on getting a new phone,i had an old noki 2010 model,good for just being a phone and no frills use,for 250 bucks i got the latest with cam and vid cam,as far as the mp3 on phones i love putting a few of my riffs on the phone for various people to listen too,great for concerts too and getting a few pics of those special moments.

I am "educated" in electronics (college even) and that means my opinion is still just that!! Anyways, MP3's CAN be good if the compression is just right, but 80 percent of the time it is not (because the user has NO idea how to set those things) and sounds like you have a flanger pedal in loop with your music. I am not a fan of the stuff at all. I stick to CD's, I buy usually most the time, and I burn songs I like from bands that I dont, or do not want to spend the money on an entire album for 2 songs at best. I have 2 CD-RW's at best, with maybe 20 songs total. My cd collection, however, exceeds 400. At the gym, I am the ONLY dude there with a portable CD player, I rock it "old school." I would like to see the days return of people walking around with these HUGE "boom boxes" on their shoulders......