o/t Some Kind of Metallica

AstroCreeper

Apr 3, 2005
Las Vegas
I just caught part of the documentary on VH1, and I figure that its already been talked about somewhere here.
I won't get into my thoughts of the actual "movie", but it got me to thinking...

When was the last time Anthrax were invited to tour with the mighty Lars?

Serious question, not bashing anyone....

from what Ive heard that movie is supposed to be like Spinal Tap...must admit...havent really gone to deeply into it to be honest....lost interest in Metallishit some years back after they sold their souls to MTV

They played a few random shows on the Justice tour. They were the full fledged support act on the European Puppets Tour in late '86 and early '87, though.

I guess its more hip to take someone like Godsmack out on tour these days. Either that or the fact that WCFYA was 1000 times better than St. Anger, or what I refer to as Pip farting on a snare drum...

AstroCreeper said:
I guess its more hip to take someone like Godsmack out on tour these days. Either that or the fact that WCFYA was 1000 times better than St. Anger, or what I refer to as Pip farting on a snare drum...

that was a snare drum??? I thought he was using an oil drum myself.

WCFYA beats St.Anger anyday, but talk about sales figures...:( and it doesn´t get any better even with the reunion album.

At least Metallica are still trying to "evolve" in whatever direction. I may not like the direction, but it beats a "reunion tour" any day, as that is a natural stop in the evolution of a band. Anthrax are playing no song more recent than 1990. That is a 15 year step BACKWARDS.

Anthrax loose their time with this reunion tour! They should have done a new album with John. I always have apreciate the fact that they have always evolve in their career, but this time is a big bad move backwards.

I've seen the Some Kind of Monster movie... The only guy who I can look to in a positive light in all this shit is Kirk. I almost feel sorry for him.

And Mustaine spends five minutes blasting Lars about how his life has gone.

Matt Bello said:
Anthrax loose their time with this reunion tour! They should have done a new album with John. I always have apreciate the fact that they have always evolve in their career, but this time is a big bad move backwards.

YES YES YES

Charlie was desperate to get some "exposure" and get out of clubs (which this tour isn't doing anyway) and Scott gave Charlie his balls and agreed to it, and thus you have: The End of Anthrax. Marketh my words on this one kiddies.

ZTPioneer said:
At least Metallica are still trying to "evolve" in whatever direction. I may not like the direction, but it beats a "reunion tour" any day, as that is a natural stop in the evolution of a band. Anthrax are playing no song more recent than 1990. That is a 15 year step BACKWARDS.

Quite possible. I´m gonna check it out myself in a few weeks. People who saw them back in the day have written all over the board how magical it was back then. Curious if Joey sounds better live then on reccord.

And if this line-up is permanent it´s gonna be VERY interesting to see where they pick up, 1992 or 2003. Will Joey sing "Black Dahlia"?

Arg_Hamster said:
Quite possible. I´m gonna check it out myself in a few weeks. People who saw them back in the day have written all over the board how magical it was back then. Curious if Joey sounds better live then on reccord.

And if this line-up is permanent it´s gonna be VERY interesting to see where they pick up, 1992 or 2003. Will Joey sing "Black Dahlia"?

Personally, regardless of who's singing, I'd LOVE Anthrax to play all thrash on their next album! :headbang: I doubt it'll happen, but ya gotta allow a man to dream! :lol: In general, when the "evolution" that Metallica has put out since Justice sounds like it does, no thanks! I'll pass on "evolution"! Same goes for almost every band that tries to "evolve". Anthrax included. I don't like the albums with John Bush nearly as much as the albums with Joey Belladonna!

Sgt-D said:
I've seen the Some Kind of Monster movie... The only guy who I can look to in a positive light in all this shit is Kirk. I almost feel sorry for him.

And Mustaine spends five minutes blasting Lars about how his life has gone.

Yer, I had a look at that movie/doco today (took the day off work to recover from the Anthrax show in Adelaide).

I agree - Kirk seems to be stuck in the middle of all the stuff that is happening.

Lars appears to have a huge ego and at times, I got the impression that he almost believes that he is Metallica on his own !!! I can understand how Jason left the band with all the crap that was going on.

PoolePaul said:
from what Ive heard that movie is supposed to be like Spinal Tap...must admit...havent really gone to deeply into it to be honest....lost interest in Metallishit some years back after they sold their souls to MTV

Its definately not Spinal Tap but it is sort of weird and unnerving to see how the band fell apart pretty much for a while during the making of St Anger and how they needed some shrink guy to help them all sit in the same room again. I liked the part where Jason Newstead said for everything James, Lars and Kirk have been through and for as long as theyve been together not to be able to work out their differences by themselves, he thought it was bullshit they had to bring that shrink guy in to help them.

ZTPioneer said:

But on Metallicas last tour, they opened their shows with 'Blackened' and the set lists were mostly songs from the first 4 albums. Shouldnt they be opening with a song off their latest album instead of falling back on their old songs? It kinda sucks how these bands from the 80's are now relying on their old material more than their most recent releases. Megadeth has been doing it on their current tour and Anthrax does it too but least Anthrax can still write a song like 'What Doesnt Die' and open their shows with it and IMO thats how you open a show for a band thats been around as long as Anthrax, No relying on your old songs to start your live set in support of your new album!! (except for maybe summer or interim shows).. but the set on MOMD is mostly pre-Bush songs when their should have been more Bush songs in the set and then they release an album of their old songs redone with Bush and now this reunion tour. The fact that this reunion tour comes after the release of GOTE is just strange to me.

I dont know how Metallica could release an album like St Anger and expect people to like it. Maybe they think that whatever they do now will never be as good as their old stuff and dont bother trying but surely they can do better than this. I dont know, had they worked on the St Anger songs more and actually put proper production down and really shortened some of them it may have turned out to have been one of Metallicas best albums.

fuelee2004 said:
had they worked on the St Anger songs more and actually put proper production down and really shortened some of them it may have turned out to have been one of Metallicas best albums.

had they polished a turd...

johnnieCzech said:
had they polished a turd...

Exactly! Imo The material was shit to begin with! Any way ya cut it, shit is shit! I think Metallica's been slowly going downhill since Justice. I like the Black album, there's some good songs on there, but it definitley wasn't as good as the first four albums. Live Shit was an awesome (if expensive) box set imo. Everything since has been at best complete shit! :yuk:

I have a real love/hate for that movie. In case anybody hasn't seen the bonus disc that comes with it (some shops don't include it when you rent it), it really put things more in perspective(at least for me).