O/T The band HIM - did I miss something ??

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Ok so after hearing and reading in metal mags all about this band HIM for the last year or so, I finally decide to check out their current greatest hits release.

What the fuck is so good about this band - I mean, why does everyone sprout on about them like it's 1983 and they just released Kill Em All?????

I'll give it another listen, but so far to me they sound like something my Dad might listen to on some easy listening FM sattion.

Have I missed something here people????

You either get them or you don't. Personally I think they're great and not afraid to be different which is always a plus.

The singer is more or less considered a sexsymbol over here in finland.
You just can't imagine how much radioplay a band can get.
Rumors are that the drummer(gas lipstick) from HIM is a huge anthrax fan. I saw him in the crowd when thrax' played helsinki last spring.

Spreadingthe Living312 said:
My friend is crazy about them and I fucking hate em....

Its too punk-ish for me as I am all about metal..

Not to sound like Dad but :D
I don't know who they are but don't forget punk had a big influence on Speed Metal just like Maiden and Priest did.

Bullshit. They had a hell of a cult following before MTV ever touched them, mostly with skaters and the like.

Not American MTV. I don't even think they've ever had a video on American MTV. Some stuff on the Bam Margera show, but no videos.

dutchy said:
they are pretty pop among girls and MTV promoted the shit out of them, maybe that's why, and they did some prety good cover song!!!

Yep, they might have had a cult following but only little wannabe-goth girls like them. And Ville was presented as a sex symbol on EmptyVe.

Hey...what´s PUNKish about HIM? It´s a generic pop metal with a little bit of goth rock as far as I see them. They have some cool songs but I saw them live and it was BORING as shit.

Ragamuffin said:
You either get them or you don't. Personally I think they're great and not afraid to be different which is always a plus.

I love them too, I only started listening to them a few months ago when a girl from Canada i met in Sims Online sent me some mp3's. Im gonna get some of their cd's when i get a chance. They did a great cover of Chris Isaaks 'Wicked Game' as well.

timmyc said:
Ok so after hearing and reading in metal mags all about this band HIM for the last year or so, I finally decide to check out their current greatest hits release.

What the fuck is so good about this band - I mean, why does everyone sprout on about them like it's 1983 and they just released Kill Em All?????

I'll give it another listen, but so far to me they sound like something my Dad might listen to on some easy listening FM sattion.

Have I missed something here people????

I think your still missing it Timmy...sounds like its not really your thing, not really mine either but i think their great.