Objective tube comparison with reamping?

GuitarMaestro

Mar 27, 2006
Germany
In every guitar related forum you can read about how drastically different tubes from different manufacturers are supposed to sound and how the new "insert awesome name here" tube sounds SOOO awesome in amp xyz.
Usually all these "facts" about how different tubes sound are accepted without any proof.
Now with reamping it would be possible to compare tubes VERY accurately as you can eleminate all other factors that way. If you would reamp the same take through the same setup with different tubes you would get the effect of the tube changes ONLY. I doubt it would be a significant difference but who knows....Was anything like that done already? Any links?

I've done exactly what you're describing when I swapped the preamp tubes out of my 5150. That is, a before & after reamp. Don't ask me for the files, that was a few months ago & I don't have time to look for 'em.

I went from the original 8th gen Shugang to a completely Matched & Balanced (cost waaay too much) set of 9th gen Shugangs.

End result: A nice harmonic shift that made the tone more pleasing to the ears.
It certainly didn't make or break the amp, but it was a nice change.

-0z-

Interesting! I'll definately do the same for my next set of new tubes, but at the moment I dont need any and I wont buy them just for that test....

P.s.: If you accidently stumble over the files sometime -> remember my post!:)