Octavarium has leaked.

Really? I don't think so.......James LaBrie's 'Elements Of Persuasion' has been online for a month mislabelled as 'Octavarium,' but as far as I can tell it was just the other day.

Scourge of Malice said:
tell me its better than train of thought

It is.:)
Then again, I'm not the "They were only good with Kevin Moore" type of Dream Theater fan.
Pre-order worthy.

Well....I'm still listening and making a decision, but only two of the songs are actually proggy in my opinion. A lot of it sounds a lot like the Elements Of Persuasion album that was originally being passed off as Octavarium. Two of the tracks are pretty much ripped right from Muse and U2.

Don't expect anything like "good" Dream Theater......or very good prog, for that matter. I'm still listening though.

Edit: This seems to me like a case of I really wanted it to be a great, amazing album, and it's just not all that great, although it has its moments. But listen for yourself definitely.

Yeah, there are several songs like that on the album. I'm not liking John Petrucci's work on this much. He's gone from occassionally making a tasteful song using a seven string guitar to permanently tuning down his six string to C or whatever. After listening a little more.....the most interesting songs on the album are Octavarium, Sacrificed Sons, and I Walk Beside You (chorus ripped straight from U2, interesting effect). Never Enough has some interesting moments, but I've been informed that the entire song is ripped straight from Muse......confirmed after listening to a Muse song or two.

But I'm not quite sure on that, because those cliche down-tuned pentatonic riffs are so nasty that the other stuff probably sounds better to me. As I said.....nasty for a "prog" album, which is what the whole buildup for this was. But Dream Theater seems to be going downhill. I'm not sure if they can come out with another monumental album or not. I'll buy this, but I'm not going to take much more of this from them, because they should be doing much better, especially when Pain Of Salvation has just been busy releasing the live DVD for the best prog album released in quite a while, topping anything Dream Theater have done in a long time.

absolutely sucks fucking donkey dick. DT are dead.

lol, not really ;)

To be honest, I fucking LOVE the album. I like the heaviness, the downtuned guitars and the more straight forward songwriting. I wonder why most people here seem to dislike exactly those points ...I mean, after all this is a metal forum and not a forum for prog-geeks, right?! ;) Well, I think it's great that DT are heavier nowadays in comparison to their early days. The album is not as heavy as ToT, but it's certainly better than ToT (it doesn't have all those wanky guitar solos and stuff, that ToT had).

As someone here said before me: It's definitely pre-order worthy.

is the last song you guys have 24min long??? if not you got the bogus rip. alot of people have that and mistaken it for the real thing. ive heard 2 edited songs off the album and its actually prety cool. panic attack and these walls, panic attack sounds like arcturus a bit. im getting it as i type this so ill hopefully have it in time for work.

I accidentally downloaded the LaBrie solo album thinking it was Octavarium...boy am I glad it wasn't...that thing was serious shit.

murderedbysound said:
is the last song you guys have 24min long??? if not you got the bogus rip. alot of people have that and mistaken it for the real thing. ive heard 2 edited songs off the album and its actually prety cool. panic attack and these walls, panic attack sounds like arcturus a bit. im getting it as i type this so ill hopefully have it in time for work.

Yes, the last song is 24 minutes. This is the real thing, it has really leaked. I went through the Elements of Persuasion thing a month ago......it was put up on bittorrent sites a few days ago.

unknown said:
I accidentally downloaded the LaBrie solo album thinking it was Octavarium...boy am I glad it wasn't...that thing was serious shit.

Well.....that's not Octavarium, but some of the Octavarium songs sound like they were ripped straight from EoP (in turn ripped from other bands). That's the direction most of the songs are going, but there are still some good points.