october falls

@M.Lehto: What kind of metal will you eventually incorporate into your sound? Just curious... ;)

I feel lucky having the rare first pressing :)

Quite honestly, I've been thinking about doing something like this since last Summer, so I wouldn't mind looking into setting RC up as some kind of distro - without the headache of becoming a full blown label. With that said, I have ZERO idea as to what this would take. Don't even know where to begin.

I spent quite some time speaking to Andreas from The End at the Agalloch show, and I discovered that he runs TER as a full time occupation now. Every spare moment of his is spent running the label. I can't do that now - with a family to support etc. Anyway, I asked him how often he receives band demos and he said they flood in on a daily basis. He has boxes to the ceiling full of CD-R demos. He even told me one funny incident where somebody had sent him lyrics only, suggesting that if he liked them, they would be happy to write accompanying music before he made the decision to sign. :loco:

There are maybe 4-5 unsigned bands I've come across that deserve some further exposure through better distribution, at least in the US. I'm just thinking aloud...

Caelum Adustum said:
@M.Lehto: What kind of metal will you eventually incorporate into your sound? Just curious... ;)

I feel lucky having the rare first pressing :)
The "metal-side" is still somewhat open. I have few songs that was actually wrote before any of Tuoni was made, but I'm still unsure will I use them. I've wrote some new ideas for next release, but those are still acoustic, so time will tell what the second part holds.

I've thought about starting up a label myself, but until I have enough time to set aside so as not to do it half-assed, I'm not going to bother.

That's good to hear M.Lehto, hopefully you hear something postive back from them, good luck :Spin:

i'd like to do A&R or Production, would be my dream job... hopefully one day

NAD said:
I've thought about starting up a label myself, but until I have enough time to set aside so as not to do it half-assed, I'm not going to bother.
Running a label would consume your life, I'm sure. I can't imagine it's something you can do on the side but I'm only guessing.

That's why I think setting yourself up as a distributor first might be a good entry point. You know, take bands that have a good self-produced CD and help sell it, get them noticed, invest in some marketing etc. Be the fulcrum between "unknown artist" and "label signing".

Yeah, I guess the best way to start would be starting a distro and slowly build it bigger. There are many label's (even big ones) that has started that way and I think that's how you can really get to know what there is to know, before investing any bigger. Make any sense? Maybe not, I just woke up :)

Mikko,

I just re-read this thread and you said all the copies of the demo are sold out. I e-mailed you the other day and you said there were still some left, and I was gonna send the cash today - are there definately still some copies left? I'm confused :erk:

Thanks

Doom said:
Mikko,

I just re-read this thread and you said all the copies of the demo are sold out. I e-mailed you the other day and you said there were still some left, and I was gonna send the cash today - are there definately still some copies left? I'm confused :erk:

Thanks
Hello, if you're Jamie, then your copie of the disc is on the way. It was sold out yesterday, but you got one of the last 4 copies, so no worries. :)

M.Lehto said:
Hello, if you're Jamie, then your copie of the disc is on the way. It was sold out yesterday, but you got one of the last 4 copies, so no worries. :)
Ah, brilliant, thanks very much Mikko. The money is only going out today I'm afraid, but you should have it soon. If you let me know when the money gets there, that would be good, just so I know you got it.

Thanks again :)

JayKeeley said:
For those interested in October Falls, an interview with Mikko will be published this weekend. :)
Yo Mikko - if you're hanging about the forum today, check your PM or e-mail. I need a pic for the interview ASAP....danke.