Of course there can be a new Edge Of Sanity album. I am there.

Dan Swanö said:
Well Opethfan..
I can see your point here, but what you don't seem to understand is the fact that Edge of Sanity was never a BAND..It was a PROJECT. There were a few "bandlike moments" around Unorthodox, but it kinda faded out into the traditional Project-thing.
If there had been some kind of chemistry or something, something that would be missing when I do my thing alone, I would definately have refused to revive this project.
I mean, I will never do UNICORN without the other two guys..even though I wrote all the material, the songs sounded different one filtered by the other members. Just having them playing my material made it better. There was chemistry!! I respect that.
I never attempted to do Pan-Thy-Monium on my own either. We had magic. A unique blend of musical character that I'd never dream of trying to emulate on my own. But when it comes to Edge Of Sanity, the feeling is different.
I know I will see a lot more negative responses to the decision I am making...but I am only doing what I feel is right.
and I hope all these doubts will be silenced by the music....
Dan

Thanks again for the explanation. You would certainly know better than I about the type of chemistry that was present with EOS, so I'll take your word that this new EOS album can rekindle that flame. I'll do my best to reserve judgement on the album until I hear it.

Hi Dragonisle...

Just a question..did you feel the same about the band DEATH when Chuck outed all the other guys before Human?? (I once saw them live without Chuck, and that was the most awful thing I have ever seen...) just curious

D

Dan, will the story in Crimson II be the real sequel to Crimson ? or just a parallel or something else in the same spirit ??

Also, you spoke about indexed songs, that means that it won't be a single song but something more like Dream THeater's Six degrees ? divided into parts ?

I think what a few of us are worried about (I am talking about YOU Opethfan), was whether or not Edge of Sanity, as a band was more than just the sum of its parts. I have been tackling with that issue ever since we were informed that a new Edge of Sanity album was in the making. In order to assess what the future of this band will be, we have to ask ourselves three questions...

1. How much was Dan Swano the creative drive and personality of Edge of Sanity?

Of course Edge of Sanity was in total, Dan Swano, vocals/guitars, etc. Andreas Axelsson guitars, Sami Nerberg guitars, Anders Lindberg bass, Benny Larsson. The chemistry that this band produced was unique and no matter what, any change to that line-up does make small changes to the style and personality of the band. To deny that fact is to deny the integrity of the musicians that played in this band all these years.
We may never know how much Dan Swano was the heart and soul of the bands music. Im sure Swano would up play the importance of his role in EOS, while the other band members would probably downplay his role. One thing we all know is that he eventually became the heart of this band and it was HIS vision that allowed the band to grow and evolve the way it did. If none of us agreed with that, then we would ALL be on the Edge of Sanity forum right now instead of the Dan Swano forum.
The reasons for Swano's belief that he could continue the bands vision thus becomes justified. It is probable that he started off as just a band member in EOS (on "Nothing But Death Remains") but by the time of "Crimson" it was obviously HIS show.

2. Could Edge of Sanity be reformed in its original state?

This is one of those "Can we ever go home again?" questions. Even Edge of Sanity became a different band by the end of its days than it was during those cohesive "Unorthodox" days. Suppose the original band did reform? Would the chemistry still be there? Proabably not. I mean how long has it been since they all rehearsed in a room together?
I think we all miss that time when "The Spectral Sorrows" or "Crimson" came out and the initial feelings they gave us, but those days are over. Dan has grown as a musician and who can say if the rest of the band are even in a physical state to take on a record like Crimson. They are simply on different paths now and in order to accept the future of EOS we must let go. I at first was irked by the idea and wanted a band reformation, but simply realized that wouldnt and probably shouldnt happen.

3. Can Dan Swano continue Edge of Sanity on his own?

Contrary to what Dan says I think we got our first taste of what an EOS "Dan only" album would sound like. He has been working for the past few years on albums playing all instruments. The songs off "Infernal" allowed him to experiment with being a solo artist without too much pressure to make an epic masterpiece. You can tell he learned alot of things. On the first and second Nightingale albums he furthered his experience, making albums that were understandably SOLO works but solid and well developed. I think he perfected this ability on Moontower, making an album that could stack up creatively with his older works like "Spectral" and "Purgatory" but were pure Swano, with him playing virtually everything. I think the time now is right for him to continue his ability on a grand scale with "Crimson II."

In contrast, up until this point the whole rest of the band under the Moniker Edge of Sanity couldnt even make one album that followed the path that Swano forged with the band. Cryptic is decent but lacks anything identifiable to the Edge of Sanity we know and love. Between the two factions, Id place my money on Dan and his ability to continue Edge of sanity's true legacy. Yes some things will be different but then this change was inevitable anyway. Dan is a musical genius and artistic mind and being a perfectionist myself, I know how hard it is allow change in ones artistic vision. Everyone should now STOP WHINING and get ready for THE FUTURE of Edge of Sanity, not dwell on THE PAST.

There is still one problem that the new Edge of Sanity will face and it is the same problem all bands with ONE creative mind faces. The reason why bands and in this case the OLD Edge of Sanity was so powerful and multifaceted was that there were many creative minds feeding the whole. Sometimes when a band has only one member as the creative force the vision becomes rigid and one sided, ideas become tired. Solo musicians become too possessive over their music and refuse to allow deferment to other BETTER ideas from other musicians. Crimson had three guitars from three different minds doing three different things. Crimson II may have three overdubs but they will still all be Swano.
All I would ask of Swano is to accept that he is not God (though he is pretty damn close), and to allow enough contribution from what ever members he ends up choosing to make for a multifaceted listening. Chuck from Death understood this and always allowed the musician in his band to shine in their own unique way while under HIS vision. Malmsteen does not which is why Derik Shenini... plays like crap on the "Attack" album. From what Ive seen of the new Nightingale and Bloodbath albums, Dan already understands this.

CHARLES

Wow! We got some people with fuckin' balls huh? To look at all Dan has done with his solo career and all the hard work he's put into music, there's still ppl that can be skeptical! o_O Man, that's fucked up! I know Crimson II is gonna kick ass, and it's not because i'm kissing ass, but because of the kind of quality Dan has put out since he picked up his first instrument.

I am not really sure about Crimson II kicking ass
specially if it's compared against the original one
It's a tough cookie to eat when there's such a predecesor

Dan Swanö said:
Well..what can I say???

When I decided that Edge of Sanity couldn't go on the way it did,
I wrote a letter to each one of the guys (since we didn't live in the same city) and explained that I wanted to go on as Edge Of Sanity alone. I felt that their visions and mine clashes in a negative way

Just listen to the tracks the other guys wrote from "The Spectral Sorrows" and forward, I mean, tracks like "Feeding the Charlatan", "Enter Chaos", and half of "Infernal" and the whole of "Cryptic"..this is definately not E.O.S. material in my book.

But E.O.S. was a democrazy, even though I felt it made us standing in the shadow of the other Swedish bands..
To have a few innovative tracks and a bunch of tracks that sounds like a completely different band, was never my ideal of a great album..but it was the only way to keep everyone happy.
But after "Infernal" I felt that it was either Me or them.
I felt that Edge Of Sanity had become my project and that I was the one to carry the project on, and with a brand new line-up of similar minded people, we could take on the world.

But...
The other guys reacted, and said "So you're kicking us out!!"
Even though I didn't write it like that, that was the Sum of it all.
They go, I stay, I'm Edge Of Sanity.

But then the unthinkable happened
Black Mark and the other four teamed up and kicked me out!!!
:erk:
Months before, when I wanted to stay out of a tour, suggesting Robert Karlsson for a temporary replacement, the other guys went
"Ooohh no!! We would be killed. To do EOS without you wouldn't work..."
Based on that I felt that the chances of the other guys doing the whole thing without me or even to be putting up a fight for the bandname was equal to zero.
But like I said...they did and the result:
Them-Me 1-0
!!:OMG:
..and Black mark let them make an album (That I have being paying the debts from with my soloalbum and Nightingale)

For as long as the "new" EOS existed, I didn't care.
I released albums using other names. Always thinking "This would have done so much better if I could have used the brandname I spend 7 years building" but that one was taken by a band that I once was a part of, but music they were presenting on "Cryptic" was pretty far off from what we had done together.

I still believe that, if things would have gone my way, and I could have released the follow up to "Infernal" with MY Edge Of Sanity, using the best of the musicians available at the time, it would have elevated EOS into the top spot of death metal bands...

but instead I was mentally fucked :Spin::loco:!!:yuk::ill::cry::yell:o_O and sunk into a deep depression which nearly costed me my job and family.
But after a year of soulsearching I found the path (called "Moontower" ) and exorsiced the demons of the past, and recorded a unique album on my own.

When I got the news that EOS was not around anymore, I started planning for my return. And it wasn't until Black Mark made me an offer I couldn't refuse, that I finally felt that it was right to do it.

No matter what people say.
I have the right to make an EOS album on my own.
I have the right to continue the Crimson tale.
I have the right to do what ever I want, because In my world, Edge of Sanity grew to be something very personal to me and it was taken away from me one fateful meeting in the Svampen-tower here in Örebro.

The other four guys have nothing to do with my vision of EOS.
I always knew that it would have sounded better if I had played all the instruments for my tracks (Apart from some excellent drumming by Benny) I am not saying that Sami, Anders and Dread was crap musicians...they were just not the right guys to play my material.
Just the fact that I wrote all the riffs on a righthandstringed guitar played lefthanded (Just a normal guitar flipped over..the light string up, the low string down..) made them all sound so different played by someone else.

You have heard one album from them without me (Cryptic)
you will soon hear one album from me without them (Crimson II)

after that, you can give me the score.

Totally agree with you Dan. Cryptic was crap , and Infernal would have sounded so much better if you had had more input on the other guys' songs. By the way, Infernal still had some charm and your songs on it are great. I disagree with people that tell you that EOS was a band effort and so on, after all you were in the band and you saw it all happen.

To everyone else:

Can you imagine:

Satyricon without Satyr
Hypocrisy without Peter
Katatonia without Blakkheim
Iced Earth without John Schaffer
Aeternus without Ares

I don't think so...
So Dan has the right to do whatever he wants, he started the band, and who are we to ask the other guys to join the lineup, it makes no sense.. if they were so great musically we'd be hearing about them doing new stuff... I'm not dissing them but they were more of a recording lineup than anything else.

Dan rules.
Crimson 2 will dispell all doubts.