Of which bands do you own their entire catalogue?

Rainbow,UFO ,Van Halen,Fastway,Kiss, Iron Maiden (except Blaze era hated them and sold them)Poison,Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, Sammy Hagar,STP

As far as Unmasked IMO its a pretty horrible record and as for the Elder, i LOVE that record ,although it doesnt really sound like a Kiss record. The elder is a hit or miss with most fans, i think next to Revenge its there heaviest record.

Rainbow,UFO ,Van Halen,Fastway,Kiss, Iron Maiden (except Blaze era hated them and sold them)Poison,Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, Sammy Hagar,STP

As far as Unmasked IMO its a pretty horrible record and as for the Elder, i LOVE that record ,although it doesnt really sound like a Kiss record. The elder is a hit or miss with most fans, i think next to Revenge its there heaviest record.

Throughout my involvement in metal I've always been a sucker for buying entire discographies from bands that I've liked....Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies, Metallica, etc. but once they release a dud, chances are I'll never spend money on them again.

Danzig comes to mind as well...

bands that have I own that I am satisfied with their entire discographies are mostly thrash bands that only put out one or two albums then quit, like Holy Terror, Kublai Kahn, I.N.C., Bitter End, Coven, Forced Entry, Viking, Abattoir, etc.

Kreator and Sodom have had their ups and downs but I own all of their shit too.

Sometimes you can still appreciate the music, if it is one of your favorite bands, even when it is an unusual or subpar release, like on Suicidal Tendencies Art of Rebellion...If some other band had released the very same album I wouldn't have given it a second listen but since I like the S.T.'s I did give it several listens...and it's actually pretty good...unfortunately the same cannot be said for their next album Suicidal For Life...:)

Captain_Steel said:
Throughout my involvement in metal I've always been a sucker for buying entire discographies from bands that I've liked....Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies, Metallica, etc. but once they release a dud, chances are I'll never spend money on them again.

Same with me although I had given second chances: Helloween, Iron Maiden (as examples) but I doubt I gave a third...

Some other bands I have bought their records for the sake of completism even if some should be discarded in a thrash compactor (like Black Sabbath "Forbidden", Judas Priest "Demolition")

Some bands I'm still looking for their albums for the completism sake: Stormwind, Skyclad.

Being a completist is a 50-50 situation:
  • Advantage = you can dedicated your hauls to a single band without much thinking :D
  • Disadvantage = you got into the band and then find out you still have 15 albums to buy before the one you bought :lol:

Nevermore
Cradle of Filth
Helloween
Ancient Rites
Nothingface
Suidakra
Death
At the Gates
In Flames
Soilwork
Sentenced
Fight
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Avantasia
Edguy
Blind Guardian
Children of Bodom
Demons & Wizards
Iced Earth
Evergrey
Iron Savior
Kamelot
Lost Horizon
Rhapsody
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Sonata Arctica
Savatage
Angel Dust
Flotsam & Jetsam
Megadeth
Seven Witches

...I think that might be it.

desert_demon said:
Excluding compilations (greatest hits albums), of which bands do you own every single album they've put out? In my case, even though I have more than 300 cds to my name, most in the hard rock/metal genre, its Black Sabbath. I have every single studio and live album by this legendary band. Close second would be KISS, I've got 'em all except the horrendous Unmasked album which I'm in no hurry to buy since it sucks. I also have almost all of Iron Maiden's catalog, I'm just missing Virtual IX and Maiden Japan.

When you say "OWN" do you mean Real Albums ... or mp3's? :loco: .... mp3's dont count

Ozzy
Black Sabbath (ALL versions Black Sabbath)
Suicidal Tendencies
Black Label Society
Extol
Hatebreed
S.O.D.
Pantera
Led Zeppelin
All Out War
Living Sacrifice

Many one disc bands!!!!

JonnyD said:
When you say "OWN" do you mean Real Albums ... or mp3's? :loco: .... mp3's dont count

That's a point I hope most UMOS regulars take for granted. When I refer to my collection is strictly my CDs/vinyls. MP3s in my HD are just for:
  • amusement
  • exchange in SS
  • a way to have some OOP (but I don't list them in my collection).
I believe something that distinguish a metalhead from pop fans is our loyalty to the bands bypurchasing the albums and helping them survive to make more music for us.

Wyvern said:
I believe something that distinguish a metalhead from pop fans is our loyalty to the bands bypurchasing the albums and helping them survive to make more music for us.

I couldn't agree more, Wyvern. I also have MP3s on my hard drive but only for the sake of discovering new bands or checking out an album before purchase. I'm proud to say that ALL my CDs are originals - no CDR copies.
As far as having a bands full catalog, the bands that I WILL eventually get everything they have released are Dio (just missing Angry Machines), Rainbow (missing 2), Iron Maiden (missing 2 plus the box set), Rush, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Black Label Society, Ozzy, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Megadeth and Savatage just to name a few.

I don't have too many full collections...but lets see

Metallica
Pantera
The Smashing Pumpkins
Nine Inch Nails
Children of Bodom
Rammstein

I think that's about it...I'm working on completing my Megadeth and Iron Maiden collections

I'm not a collector. My gypsy lifestyle never lent itself to acquiring anything but the bare necesseties...and with music that means only ALBUMS I LOVE. I never was one to just buy an album for the sake of completing a collection. Bands tend to progress (thank god) and seldom do I find all forms to my liking. Bands either grow into or out of my tastes.

That said, there are a few newer bands with small catalogues that I own them all: Nightwish, Orphaned Land, Blackmore's Night, Cruachan, Astral Doors.

But really, there is only one old school band that I own the entire catlogue of. Savatage/TSO. I adore everything Jon Oliva has written and he stands #1 on my list (Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon is runner-up). I also own every song Warlord ever recorded, but that's not hard to do. Best of and Rising From The Ashes pretty much covers it all!

Others that I own MOST of their catalogue include Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Demon and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I adore everything Jon Oliva has written and he stands #1 on my list

Same here Bro!!! Jon Oliva IS my favorite song writer! it was Awsome watching him at Progpower in between the J.O.P. Set and the Sava Set he sat up there at his Keyboard and Played and sang just old sava Piano/vocal peices and man let me tell ya he can Bring a tear to your eye! Just Absolutely Magical! That was certainly one of my Favorite concert Moments! ... ofcourse running into him at the Elevator at the Grenada Hotel was cool too! "Hello my Children! Muwahahahahaha" I will never forget that!

JonnyD said:
Same here Bro!!! Jon Oliva IS my favorite song writer! it was Awsome watching him at Progpower in between the J.O.P. Set and the Sava Set he sat up there at his Keyboard and Played and sang just old sava Piano/vocal peices and man let me tell ya he can Bring a tear to your eye! Just Absolutely Magical! That was certainly one of my Favorite concert Moments! ... ofcourse running into him at the Elevator at the Grenada Hotel was cool too! "Hello my Children! Muwahahahahaha" I will never forget that!

JD, I am soooo in envy of you. I would've given my left nut to be where you were standing that weekend. His ballads always bring a tear to my eye and to see him perform them live... I am in awe, you lucky bastard! :worship:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
JD, I am soooo in envy of you. I would've given my left nut to be where you were standing that weekend. His ballads always bring a tear to my eye and to see him perform them live... I am in awe, you lucky bastard! :worship:

hehehehe I was Lucky! indeed! I know and appreceate(spellin) it! and I can Tell you it was a dream come true!!!! another part of it that was cool was when Chris Caffery Sang "Edge of Thorns" and "Power of the Night" which he was singing because Zakk Stevens couldnt be there ....which kinda sucked I wanted to see Zakk too! BUT Chris made me proud he did awsome! and his solos were great too he really can play an awful lot like Criss Oliva! and then seeing/hearing Doctor Killdrums WOW he hit those drums so hard I almost couldnt believe it ... that was an incredible night!!!

JonnyD said:
hehehehe I was Lucky! indeed! I know and appreceate(spellin) it! and I can Tell you it was a dream come true!!!! another part of it that was cool was when Chris Caffery Sang "Edge of Thorns" and "Power of the Night" which he was singing because Zakk Stevens couldnt be there ....which kinda sucked I wanted to see Zakk too! BUT Chris made me proud he did awsome! and his solos were great too he really can play an awful lot like Criss Oliva! and then seeing/hearing Doctor Killdrums WOW he hit those drums so hard I almost couldnt believe it ... that was an incredible night!!!

I just got a bootleg video of a Sava concert from 1989, the first year Caffery was with them. Even back then he sang Power of the Night. On that same song, Jon took Caffery's guitar and played it left handed like Hendrix used to! Not sure why, I think he was just screwing around. And Dr. Killdrums? Holy shit, he was going ballistic during that whole concert.

The closest I'm gonna get to your experience is watching that grainy video or, next year, the 25th Anniversary DVD!