Which metal bands have the most albums?

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Which metal bands have the most albums?

For some odd nerdy reason, I'm curious about which bands have the most full length studio albums. I tried to find lists on the net in case some other weirdo tried to make one, but to no avail. So I decided to do some research and start a list myself. But I'm having trouble thinking up bands that may have a large number of albums. Although these days we've got a large number of bands that have 8 or 9 albums, such as good ol' Opeth, or Enslaved, who's evolution I have been enthusiastically following for a long time.

So anyway, the following is the very small list i've compiled so far, so any further contributions would be muchly appreciated! Generally i'm counting Full Length Studio Albums as an album. So obviously, Live albums, EP's and Best Ofs are out. But there's some grey areas, like compilations of unreleased material, or rereleased material, such as Darkthrone's Total Death, or Tom Waits new Orphans collection. Or albums that are half original material, half covers, like Cradle Of Filths Bitter Suites, or Fear Factory's Transgression, both of which are kinda made of poo and fail. And then we have oddities, Like Ulver's many releases, or like Moonsorrow's incredible new EP that goes for 68 minutes, which I subjectively feel is an album in it's own right, and one of their best. But I'm rambling. Blah blah *thread falls off front page*

Teh list!

Black Sabbath: 18
Rush: 18
Judas Priest: 16
Iron Maiden: 14
Darkthrone: 13
Napalm Death: 13
King Diamond: 12
Therion: 12
RuneMagick: 11
Paradise Lost: 11
Countess: 11
Graveland: 10

Interesting stuff:

Devin Townsend (including SYL, DTB etc, excluding non metal ambient): 12
Ulver (if I count teachings in silence): 10

But yeah, very incomplete list. Need more! Please help, you smelly ponces.

What albums are you counting on Ulver, beside Teachings In Silence? According to Wikipedia, these are Ulver's full length albums:
  • Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler (1994)
  • Kveldssanger (1995)
  • Nattens madrigal - Aatte hymne til ulven i manden (1996)
  • Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (1998)
  • Perdition City (2000)
  • Blood Inside (2005)
  • Shadows of the Sun (2007)
Which makes seven releases, add Teachings In Silence and we have eight, but what are the two last ones?

I've been thinking a bit about a list like this myself, although I wasn't thinking only metal. Good luck, mate.

I counted Svidd Neger and Lycantropen, which are short, more EP's than anything, but then again, some of the ulver full lengths are just as short.

If I start lookin outside of metal, things get crazy, like some prog rock bands like Yes (17 i think, 18 if you count Keysongs) and Jethro Tull (21!), or stuff like Tom Waits (16 - 19, depending on what you count).

Dunno.. Looks like jethro tull wins.. And they did win a heavy metal award!

Hawkwind aren't metal.. Or at least, they're 'heavy metal' ..

They've had god knows how many releases.. Literally hundreds, but that's including live shows etc.,..

I've noticed that there are some electronic acts that have insane numbers of albums. But then again, it is just music generated by a computer, so no wonder they can pump out an album everymonth. Just kidding. =P

So yeah, to maintain sanity, we'll stick to metal, and I agree that we won't top black sabbath, seeing they were the first. Though i cant really handle anything of there 80's stuff.. >.<

Would say Rush have a chance of overtaking them. But their classification as metal is obviously desputable. But they rock too hard to be ignored. Heh. So do Darkthrone and Napalm death respectively hold the title of most albums in Black Metal and Death Metal (k grindcore if ya wanna get picky).

Oh and I dare you guys to go listen to all 11 Countess or Runemajick albums back to back! lol. I think they win amongst underground bands in sheer volume of released material.

Hope DSO one day clock up that many albums. Especially if they keep evolving into complete chaotic insanity.

Dunno.. Looks like jethro tull wins.. And they did win a heavy metal award!

JT have been pretty productive, at least in their first 25 years. And since 1991 Ian Anderson still beats Metallica in the number of studio albums. (Metallica: 4, Ian Anderson + JT: 6)

The folk metal band Skyclad has issued 10 albums in 10 years during the 90s, so according to the standards nowadays they have been extremely productive. Unfortunately, Martin Walkyier left the band and since then they have only issued one more studio album, else they would by now be up there with black sabbath nearing the 20 album mark.

Hope DSO one day clock up that many albums. Especially if they keep evolving into complete chaotic insanity.
+1 Fuck yeah. If they keep improving, oh my god, only think I'm worried about it after a few more though surely it will be so unbelievable good it will literally crush your head to listen to it.

JT have been pretty productive, at least in their first 25 years. And since 1991 Ian Anderson still beats Metallica in the number of studio albums. (Metallica: 4, Ian Anderson + JT: 6)

The folk metal band Skyclad has issued 10 albums in 10 years during the 90s, so according to the standards nowadays they have been extremely productive. Unfortunately, Martin Walkyier left the band and since then they have only issued one more studio album, else they would by now be up there with black sabbath nearing the 20 album mark.

I've still never checked out Skyclad. And seeing I love folk metal, I probably should one of these days. Where to start though. Hmm!

And latest DSO challenged even my definitions of what music is. Some sections of that album the riffs are so chaotic, i simply can't discern them. Only other band to do that that i've found is Australia's portal. Complex chaos that even i have to train my ear to. But DSO then also throws in insane catchy sections and.. gah.. don't get me started.. :loco:

+1 Fuck yeah. If they keep improving, oh my god, only think I'm worried about it after a few more though surely it will be so unbelievable good it will literally crush your head to listen to it.

Fas - Ite etc etc has been my #1 album since I first heard it... honestly, if they ever manage to top Fas my head will literally explode.

^Couldn't agree more, I can't contemplate a better release, but I have a feeling the next will be over time either on par or slightly better. Which is pretty much just based off each release smrc onwards being slightly better from the previous imo.

Nunslaughter have tons. Mostly 7".

Damned in Japan - DVD 2007
NunSlaughter / Rabid - Split 7" 2007
Nasty Novel Nugget - LP 2007
Hell on Holland - 7" 2007
NunSlaughter / Unholy Grave Split 7" 2007
NunSlaughter / Gravewurm Split 7" 2007
The Curse Before The Hex 3" CD 2007
An Evening at War LP / Pic LP 2007
Hex CD/LP/Pic LP 2007
Nordic Nightmare - 7" 2007
Hellidelphia - DVD 2007
NunSlaughter / Sloth split 7" 2007
Damned in Japan 7" Box set 2007
Radical Ruptures LP 2007
NunSlaughter / Destructor split 7" 2007
Eastern Illusion LP 2007
Goat - Tape Version 2007
Metal Assault on Sydney 7" 2006
Metal Assault on Adelaide Dbl 7" 2006
NunSlaughter / Brodys Militia spllit 7" 2006
Rotting Christ - 3" Mini CD 2006
The Devil Has His Day - Tape 2006
Radio Damnation - China Edition - CD 2006
Hate Your God - Tape 2006
Face of Evil - 7" / Pic. 7" 2006
Fuck the God in Heaven - Mini CD/ Pic LP 2006
Fathers of Fright 7" 2006
Fuck That Cunt 7" 2006
The Guts of Christ 7" (new) 2006
Slutty Cryptic Mother - 7" 2005
Evil Speaks - 7" 2005
NunSlaughter / Nocturnal Split 7" 2005
NunSlaughter / Victimizer Split LP 2005
NunSlaughter / Throneum split 7" 2005
Open The Sepulcure Japan Tour CD 2005
NunSlaughter / Haemorrhage split 7" 2005
Hell on France 7" 2005
Christmassacre 12" 2005
NunSlaughter / Soulless split 7" 2005
Impale The Soul... Dbl 7"/Dbl Pic 7" 2004
NunSlaughter / Victimizer Split tape 2004
The Supreme Beast 7" 2004
NunSlaughter / Krieg Split 7" /Picture 7" 2004
NunSlaughter/Goatlord Split 7" 2004
The Bog People 7" / Pic 7" 2004
Rotting Christ 7" 2004
The Ritual of Darkness 7" / Pic 7" 2004
Burn The Cross 7" 2004
Metal Assault on Canberra 7" 2004
Blasphemer 7" 2004
NunSlaughter/ Spawn of Satan Split CD 2004
Cerebus 7" 2003
Rotting 7" 2003
Tasting The Blood Of Your Savior 7" 2003
Goat CD/LP/Picture LP 2003
Hell On Austria LP 2003
Satanic Sluts 7" 2003
NunSlaughter / Centinex Split Picture 10" 2003
The Guts of Christ 7" 2002 / Pic 7" 2003
Hate Your God - Tape2002 + LP/CD 2003
NunSlaughter/Destruktor Split 7" 2002
The Day We Die Cassette 2002
NunSlaughter / Cianide Split 7"/ Pic 7"2003
Hell on Belgium 7" 2002
Hell on Spain 7" 2002
NunSlaughter / Dr. Shrinker Split 7" 2001
Hell on Switzerland 7" 2001
Hell on Germany 7" 2001
Rehearsal 1987 Picture 7" 2001
Waiting to Kill Christ Cass. 2001 + Dbl LP/ CD 2002
Devil Metal CD/LP/ Cass. 2001
One Night in Hell CD/LP 2001
Radio Damnation CD/LP 2001
NunSlaughter / Grand Belials Key Split 7" 2001
Trifurcate 7" 2000
Face of Evil 7" 2000
Hells Unholy Fire CD/LP 2000 + Picture LP 2001
NunSlaughter / Derketa Split 7" 1999 + Picture 7" 2001
Blood Devil 7" 1999 + Picture 7" 2001
Evil Speaks Rehearsal Demo 1999 + 7" 2005
NunSlaughter / Crucifier Split 7" 1998
NunSlaughter / Dekapitator Split 7" 1998
NunSlaughter / Bloodsick Split 7" 1997
Face of Evil Demo Tape 1995
The Guts of Christ Demo Tape 1993
Impale the Soul of Christ... Demo Tape 1991
Killed by the Cross 7" 1990
Rotting Christ Demo Tape 1989 + 7" 2005
Ritual of Darkness Demo Tape 1987 + 7" 2005

Don't Sodom have like... a zillion albums?
Kiss also are up there I think (they're about as metal as Rush and Jethro Tull).

Can't say for sure since I'm not a fan of either of these bands.

EDIT: Iron Maiden have 14 albums as well, which is pretty good (and that obviously not counting live albums, which would then be 237 albums)

MEGADETH

Studio albums: Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! · Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? · So Far, So Good... So What! · Rust in Peace · Countdown to Extinction · Youthanasia · Cryptic Writings · Risk · The World Needs a Hero · The System Has Failed · United Abominations

Live albums: Live Trax · Live Trax II · Rude Awakening · Still Alive... and Well? · Unplugged in Boston · That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires

EPs & compilations: Hidden Treasures · Cryptic Sounds · Breadline · Capitol Punishment · Back to the Start · Warchest

Videos: Rusted Pieces · Exposure of a Dream · Evolver: The Making of Youthanasia · Rude Awakening · Video Hits · Arsenal of Megadeth · That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires