5 most important metal bands for the global metal scene in the last 15 years.

This is a real fucking thread, thanks for this outerone!

I will do as instructed in the original post and pick up the bands that i feel might be "most important" regardless of my personal taste. Thus i will leave out bands like Katatonia, Ulver, Agalloch or Bathory (whose classic works date mostly from late 80s actually, just as Metallica's or Maiden's), in favor of Porcupine tree and Dream theater. I will also understand the "metal" genre label loosely and thus include such music that was sometimes only rooted in metal, or bands that only started out as metal bands or picked up metal influences at some point, but transcended the label and pushed the envelope further... These are my picks:

Porcupine tree - Steven Wilson is an unstoppable creative force and his primary band perhaps the most developed platform for ambitious and forward-thinking music that he composes. Although not such a big fan (thus far) i understand the importance of SW's musical and also intellectual figure, and the impact PT's music has on progressive youth...

Dream theater - In time i tended to change my stance toward this band, from passion to almost complete negligence, yet, when i pick up their best compositions, and also take in consideration their wide recognition and influence, i realize DT is one of the bands that may easily be seen as crucial to progressive metal of 90's and the new millennium...

The Gathering - Ever since Anneke joined the band, The Gathering created one of the most impressive streaks of brilliant albums ever!, varying their sound over and over, and also changing my understanding of what is and what might be seen as metal, and bringing the sense of sophistication and artistry that was rarely if ever present in rock music whatsoever. Interestingly, they remained rather quiet and humble about it. Such a subtly iconoclastic band!

Tool - Long time my favorite band, Tool is all i could ever ask of music. They managed to inject alternative rock sensibility and emotional depth into progressive and complex song structures of metal, making the sound and a genre all their own. They remained true to their strictly artistic approach, and made music that is defiantly art, nothing else, and nothing less! In addition, i have never found a lyricist so undeniably gifted with poetic and literary talent as Maynard James Keenan is. Tool has it all.

Opeth - Most beautiful, most terrifying and most metaphysical music i have ever happened to hear. It makes our miserable existence worthwhile ;) Yet it doesnt even sound like music written by a human (not meant as a phrase, but a true impression), more like a creation of some omnipotent and malevolent deity. And its a fair judgment thrown at the world we live in :)! Opeth!

Excellent post! What he said. :cool:

how did pantera influence anything, they were basically just a not as good version of metallica
Have you been living under a rock for the last decade? Pantera might be a 'not as good version of metallica' (who they actually sound nothing like, so I've no idea where you got that from), but they've had a huge influence on metal in the last 15 years, fact. Countless guitar players have aped Dimebag Darrell's guitar style, and much of the whole 'metalcore' and 'deathcore' movements pilfer much of Dimebag's signature pinch harmonics. Phil Anselmo soundalikes are also ten a penny these days.

well for a dull-brained metalhead with the username "Bleakest Harvest," i'm sure there is a chasm of difference in style between pantera and metallica, but reasonable broad-minded people can understand that the 2 bands have a similar aesthetic. except the biggest difference is that pantera was not that good and metallica whips ass

well for a dull-brained metalhead with the username "Bleakest Harvest," i'm sure there is a chasm of difference in style between pantera and metallica, but reasonable broad-minded people can understand that the 2 bands have a similar aesthetic. except the biggest difference is that pantera was not that good and metallica whips ass
I'm a 'dull-brained metalhead' for pointing out that Metallica and Pantera don't sound anything alike? Are you trying to morally grandstand on the premise that you don't care about obvious differences between metal bands because you aren't a 'dull brained metalhead', and will therefore make completely useless comparisons? If so it's you who's the dullard. Anyway, you seem annoyed by my mere mentioning of Pantera, even though I wasn't even referring to their quality but their influence on metal in the past 15 years. In attempting to be a smartass you've completely missed the point of the thread genius.

Slipknot-Though I used to listen to them and I know a ton of other people did as well. I think they brought a lot of emotion into their music. Even though there 4th CD was shit.

Smashing Pumpkins- I just remember on a local radio station they won like some ridicules amount of "cage" matches against other bands during the night. Great band.

Carcass- Simply put I think Heartwork is amazing and should be looked more so than In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Soilwork.

==========================================================

Others were already mentioned that I was going to post. But I will add these 3 to the mix. Even though they aren't as popular with this board (possibly?) I think they have influenced plenty of people/bands.

darkthrone. from the time "a blaze in the northern sky" was released, until present day, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of darkthrone clones and carbon copies, especially after they put out transylvanian hunger. not to mention that blaze, uafm, and th are all black metal masterpieces. if that's not influential or important, well...don't know what to tell you afaict.

that's my one response to this thread, since half of the replies in here are shit. (smashing pumpkins? porcupine tree? nightwish? opeth? what the fuck is wrong with you people? try picking bands that were actually important and influential, and stop naming non-metal bands when this thread is about the global metal scene you retards. clearly smashing pumpkins had a gigantic influence on the brutal death metal scene in the last 15 years, from the likes of incantation and immolation to decrepit birth.)

darkthrone. from the time "a blaze in the northern sky" was released, until present day, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of darkthrone clones and carbon copies, especially after they put out transylvanian hunger. not to mention that blaze, uafm, and th are all black metal masterpieces. if that's not influential or important, well...don't know what to tell you afaict.

that's my one response to this thread, since half of the replies in here are shit. (smashing pumpkins? porcupine tree? nightwish? opeth? what the fuck is wrong with you people? try picking bands that were actually important and influential, and stop naming non-metal bands when this thread is about the global metal scene you retards. clearly smashing pumpkins had a gigantic influence on the brutal death metal scene in the last 15 years, from the likes of incantation and immolation to decrepit birth.)

lol it's the internet, what do you expect?

Haha you've pretty much echoed what I said in my post about the insane replies people are giving in this thread. Smashing Pumpkins are probably my all time favourite band, yet in absolutely no way, shape or form have they even been slightly influential to the metal scene, and only a nutcase would claim otherwise. The only exception I can think of to this would be Cult of Luna's cover of 'Bodies'. The most prominent band that are open about their SP influences are the horrific MCR. Aside from them and CoL's cover, I can't think of one actual metal band that have claimed to be influenced by the Pumpkins. For the record, they did have some pretty metallic moments in their day, especially on the Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness album. Anyone who needs proof should listen to the tracks 'Bodies', 'An Ode to No One', 'Jellybelly', and especially 'Tales of a Scorched Earth'. Fuckin' great band.

Anyway, I agree completely with Darkthrone. They've spawned literally thousands of clones in the past decade or so, and even if most of them are completely hopeless, their influence has been huge nonetheless.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that influence is very different from inspiration. Cult of Luna may have covered Smashing Pumpkins to pay tribute to them as inspiration to make music, but Smashing Pumpkins probably has no bearing on Cult of Luna's sound. So they still aren't influenced by them.

try picking bands that were actually important and influential, and stop naming non-metal bands when this thread is about the global metal scene you retards. clearly smashing pumpkins had a gigantic influence on the brutal death metal scene in the last 15 years, from the likes of incantation and immolation to decrepit birth.)

:headbang:

easy question

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Dream Theater

well...

metallica's black album was 1991. not 15 years or less.
slayer's seasons in the abyss was 1990. not 15 years or less.
megadeth's youthanasia was 1994, I guess you could count that
dream theater's awake was 1994, it's possible to count that but everything they've done since then is pretty :erk:
pantera...:erk:

and you realize that this is global, correct? tbh a band like dream theater hasn't been the most influential in shit, much less in the "global metal scene". same with a band like pantera