What is the State of Metal in 2009?

On the whole innovation/stagnation debate, I think you can probably add refinement as well to that list. It is still possibly to be doing something great that tips its hat to the past, but improves upon it. Because, in the great scheme of things, just because you do something first, doesn't necessarily mean your the best at it.

Excellent point.

Not necessarily. I'm not against innovation or experimentation, just to be clear. My point is that dismissing metal as "stagnant" because of an apparent lack of innovation is silly. There are still quite a few vibrant bands out there releasing good music, even if it's not breaking ground. Innovation for the sake of innovation is stupid.

Innovation in the late 70s and early 80s is what made the new wave of british heavy metal and thrash metal. Innovation in the late 80s and early 90s is what made black metal and death metal. Innovation in the late 90s and early '00s is what made a lot of our favorite progressive influenced metal. If we don't have innovation, we could miss out on some pretty good music in the '10s and on. Yes there are bands to enjoy now but if more bands don't develop into good bands as they used to, then metal is, in fact, stagnant.

Right on, i think innovation does not at all equal originality, and innovation itself is often merely a beginning of something bigger and yet-to-come, and not the actual peak of quality and originality. Refinement (well chosen word!) is a long process of expanding upon innovations, and i think there is more true and definitive genius in synthesis of all the innovations and traditions (pretty much what Mikael is doing) than in being first to do something. Thus understood, these innovations are often more like a matter of circumstance and context, of "right moment", rather than genuine creative authenticity...

In comparison to the past, i would say that the best and the most sophisticated bands of the day have refined early sound of metal quite a lot. Pose and typical gestures have turned into reserved, well balanced and quite noble philosophy. I take Opeth, Agalloch or Katatonia very personally. I see Kveldssanger (and consider it metal!; not heavy metal but metal) as a form of wisdom, and a true art as well. All this to say that things still happen and will happen, its only a matter of having dedication to listen and catch the right frequencies so to speak. At the same time, a lot of generic, genre rooted music will provide a base for original achievements to come forth. Also, as noted by soundave, music can be pure genre and great as such! Theres no need to break the mold violently, wanted results wont come that way surely...

However, i can see that a genre or a style can be exhausted when it comes to creative possibilities. Furthermore, reception, the way the audience listens to the music can become completely stale and conventional (i often get that impression when attending or watching classical music concerts). What i like about metal is its non-conformity. But when attempted at any cost it will turn out to be the opposite. In metal, being rebellious may often imply readiness to be "whiny" and soft-hearted.

Anyway, i do understand the notion that metal might be dying out, but i think many people hold that standpoint because they stubbornly want to believe in myth of decaying of all modern, as opposed to "good old times" and such, rather than draw the conclusions critically... I for one am happy with how metal is today, there are enough bands that i perceive to be original, and, besides, i personally care about good music more than metal... It all comes down to liking or disliking what one hears, after all...

A funny sidenote:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:w9fqxzykldje

Look at the "themes" section in the description of this album (just to the left of the tracklist)... "Themes: Guys night out, Late night, Hanging out", lol what the fuck is that!!! :Smokin::loco::kickass:

Innovation in the late 70s and early 80s is what made the new wave of british heavy metal and thrash metal. Innovation in the late 80s and early 90s is what made black metal and death metal. Innovation in the late 90s and early '00s is what made a lot of our favorite progressive influenced metal. If we don't have innovation, we could miss out on some pretty good music in the '10s and on. Yes there are bands to enjoy now but if more bands don't develop into good bands as they used to, then metal is, in fact, stagnant.

Learn to read. What was the point of reciting these developments? Do you honestly think I'm unaware of them? I'm not discounting innovation's impact on music. Let me repeat my point:

My point is that dismissing metal as "stagnant" because of an apparent lack of innovation is silly.

I don't even know what "if more bands don't develop into good bands as they used to" is supposed to mean. There will always be "good" bands.

While you think that metal becomes stagnant when nothing truly innovative is being done, I think metal becomes stagnant when solid music stops being released, regardless of how groundbreaking it is.

The biggest problem with this whole 'innovation' debate is that no band is really that 'truly original', they are really just the synthesis of their influences. Bands don't just come out of the void with a fully formed new sound.

The point is, the next evolutionary step is probably already out there, but because it isn't miles away from current trends (and even in retrospect, the 'innovative' bands really aren't that far away from there influences, e.g. you can quite easily see how Napalm Death took their crusty punk influences and just pushed them that bit more, and drew in a metal crowd looking for aural extremity, seemingly unlike anything else simply due to the exposure of their influences to the particular crowd that adopted them, so to speak).

But like I have said, just because a band has a uniqueness to them, doesn't neccessarily ensure they are quality. I'd much rather listen to something that is high quality for what it is than a group that is being different for difference sake.