What is the State of Metal in 2009?

Agree with many of the posts, although not 100%. I wouldn't say that metal is harder to find or more underground than ever. In the early to mid '90s, metal all but died when grunge hit the scene. Grunge, as popular as it was, really didn't last very long compared to other genres. Probably because there's only so much you can do with it until bands start repeating themselves and/or ripping off other bands. The nu-metal genre, I think, was born from the ashes of grunge (the old nu-metal, anyway). Bands like Godsmack were pretty much first-generation nu-metal bands who started their career more or less ripping off the grunge era bands. Later on, nu-metal started gaining influences from more hard-core (I guess) acts, and incorporated other genres; evn rap (i.e. Korn). Anyway, we all know this. But I think metal is actually making a comeback, and has been for at least the beginning of the 21st century. Metal bands are also getting more creative, because in this day and age, they don't need to depend on radio to get their music out there. I think that actually gives them the freedom to make better music, and not worry about it being too simple or under 5 minutes. I don't listen to the radio, and haven't for many years, as it is getting worse as time goes by. Radio is no longer a vehicle to get music out there (at least not as much as it used to be; there are certain prerequisites). The internet does that far better. Radio, now, is nothing more than dumbed down background noise to do chores to:Smug:.

But good posts to all (except Arasmas)!

Radio is no longer a vehicle to get music out there (at least not as much as it used to be). The internet does that far better. Radio, now, is nothing more than dumbed down background noise to do chores to:Smug:.

Nail + head.

It has become stagnant, but mainly because there is endless recycling. I don't think you can push the boundaries of heavy metal too much further without it becoming something else (just look at Watershed for a kind-of example. Upset many of the Opeth 'metal' fans because of it's softness). But it has been 40 years and history tends to suggest that that is actually quite a long time when you consider most other styles (even rock, as broad as a definition that is, which has been around a tad longer hasn't really added all that much in the last decade or longer).

In saying that the popularity of metal and it's availability it at a high point. People talk about metal as if it is, like, so underground and stuff. I remember the mid- to late-90s. It was hard to find quality metal releases then (though they were there), but it is so much easier now with the internet, downloading forums and websites like myspace have made replaced the fanzines and word-of-mouth of years gone by and is so much more incredibly accessible, to the point that even a bedroom BM band can get a decent following.

I think were done with old bands making come backs. 2008 had too much of that i think.

So we should be in for a year of new music. I think it would be pretty hard to predict what is going to be popular this year.

Although I think that it will be Doom and Black that rule the roost.
Death metal had its time.

also as doom and black become popular it will start to get more primitive, and that will be the underground.

Nail + head.

It has become stagnant, but mainly because there is endless recycling. I don't think you can push the boundaries of heavy metal too much further without it becoming something else (just look at Watershed for a kind-of example. Upset many of the Opeth 'metal' fans because of it's softness). But it has been 40 years and history tends to suggest that that is actually quite a long time when you consider most other styles (even rock, as broad as a definition that is, which has been around a tad longer hasn't really added all that much in the last decade or longer).

In saying that the popularity of metal and it's availability it at a high point. People talk about metal as if it is, like, so underground and stuff. I remember the mid- to late-90s. It was hard to find quality metal releases then (though they were there), but it is so much easier now with the internet, downloading forums and websites like myspace have made replaced the fanzines and word-of-mouth of years gone by and is so much more incredibly accessible, to the point that even a bedroom BM band can get a decent following.

Agree. Although metal boundaries are, in fact, continuously being pushed (and I honestly see no limit) due to the incorporation of other styles/genres of music. This is where I was trying to go regarding metal bands (for one) not utilizing the radio. Radio severely limits creativity. Yes, I do agree that Watershed has disappointed many of the fans closer to the metal side of the perspective. But these are the days where I believe metal bands can go anywhere they want. By incorporating other styles of music and expanding there all-around sound. For instance, there are a good amount of metal bands coming out with acoustic, or otherwise non-metal releases. And I, for one, think that is extremely important for any band's musical growth. I don't think any ONE genre of music has expanded so much without the inclusion of other styles within. Rock, metal, folk, etc. are very loose terms. Especially today.

Although I think that it will be Doom and Black that rule the roost.
Death metal had its time.

also as doom and black become popular it will start to get more primitive, and that will be the underground.

I think 'doomcore' will be the next big thing. You heard it here first!

Agree. Although metal boundaries are, in fact, continuously being pushed (and I honestly see no limit) due to the incorporation of other styles/genres of music. This is where I was trying to go regarding metal bands (for one) not utilizing the radio. Radio severely limits creativity. Yes, I do agree that Watershed has disappointed many of the fans closer to the metal side of the perspective. But these are the days where I believe metal bands can go anywhere they want. By incorporating other styles of music and expanding there all-around sound. For instance, there are a good amount of metal bands coming out with acoustic, or otherwise non-metal releases. And I, for one, think that is extremely important for any band's musical growth. I don't think any ONE genre of music has expanded so much without the inclusion of other styles within. Rock, metal, folk, etc. are very loose terms. Especially today.

I partly agree, but I think anything that can be added has been. Things can't get much more extreme without branching off into noise territory, which has very little in common with metal for the most part other than some bands that dance on the edge. And as for bands doing softer, acoustic stuff, that is really just a (primarily) metal band doing an acoustic/folk album - you wouldn't call Opeth's Damnation, Ulver's Kveldssanger or Borknagar's Origin metal, would you? The point is to be expanding, you can't keep the stylistic traits of metal and go beyond those outer boundaries. Other than that, the only bands 'expanding' as such, are just dabbling with outside influences in amongst their core sound. All you can really hope for is the constant refinement of the formula. But that is just my opinion.

I think 'doomcore' will be the next big thing. You heard it here first!

Looking forward to that like i was to peanut butter and citric acid :loco:

I partly agree, but I think anything that can be added has been. Things can't get much more extreme without branching off into noise territory, which has very little in common with metal for the most part other than some bands that dance on the edge. And as for bands doing softer, acoustic stuff, that is really just a (primarily) metal band doing an acoustic/folk album - you wouldn't call Opeth's Damnation, Ulver's Kveldssanger or Borknagar's Origin metal, would you? The point is to be expanding, you can't keep the stylistic traits of metal and go beyond those outer boundaries. Other than that, the only bands 'expanding' as such, are just dabbling with outside influences in amongst their core sound. All you can really hope for is the constant refinement of the formula. But that is just my opinion.

so to sum up,
Metal is dead / nearly dead?

all genres must "die" at some point in that a band can no longer generate interest simply by playing a genre.

Opeth and Enslaved certainly are leading the pack in bringing extreme metal out from the underground. Not an absurd statement at all. They maintain relevancy by experimentation.

so to sum up,
Metal is dead / nearly dead?

I never said it was dead, just slowing down on an evolutionary sense. Same thing has happened with most styles of music, e.g. folk, jazz or classical, though they are hardly dead. Or dying. At least anytime soon. Just very little room to move without becoming some else entirely.

srsly... you make an ass of yourself everytime you post :erk:
And that tough guy mantle is just lame. :err:

internet_serious_business.jpg

Guess which one Arasmas is...

2009 is Devin Townsend's year.
He already had his peak in late 90s early 2000s. there is only so much a man can achieve.
I think were done with old bands making come backs. 2008 had too much of that i think..
Comeoe on, its always like that. Back at the start of 80s metal people were talking the same way of how its just the old guys making comebacks and there is not enough new stuff. when in fact metallica and slayer were rocking their asses off but just werent well known yet

The fact is, it takes time for people to find out about the new stuff and for it to form a following which by itself creates new fans, thats when the new stuff gets known, and it takes a few years. 2008 years was by no means a bad year, even for new stuff, the world of music is too big and homogeneous for that to happen, for the flux of new and talented musicians to stop from flowing

At any rate, I don't think metal is dying or in any more danger than any other genre of music. Metal is continuously growing, and I think it's getting more popular than it was ten years ago. Like I said before, grunge temporarily ruined metal, but didn't last long enough to really cause much of a scar. It was the in thing for about 5 to 10 years (and very well received for about half that), then exited as quickly as it had arrived. The term "metal" is becoming broader as time goes by. Take Watershed for instance, which definitely has taken Opeth in a new direction, but is still fucking metal! Bands who continually diversify and redefine themselves are the ones who last. The only exception would be bands like AC/DC. Ask them if metal is dying. True, some don't consider them "metal", but there's that broad terminology again. Back when AC/DC was relatively new, they were definitely considered metal inthose days. Motorhead is another perfect example. And both of these bands have been able to more or less repeat the same shit over and over again, still keeping their fanbase. Fuck, AC/DC has been at it for almost 40 years and still sell out huge-ass arenas world-wide.

1. There is absolutely nothing to worry about regarding the future of metal. Any of the crap in the genre will fizzle out, leaving the good bands to continuously develop; as well as barrages of new bands (good and bad) hitting the scene (undergound or not).

2. Metal is definitely more accessable today than it was ten years ago.

3. Yes, Arasmas is a little Chinese girl!

Opeth and Enslaved certainly are leading the pack in bringing extreme metal out from the underground. Not an absurd statement at all. They maintain relevancy by experimentation.

bringing it out from the underground, yes. primarily due to the promotion of their record labels. do you think that if their labels had shit promotion, bands like enslaved or opeth would have gotten the exposure that they did?

metal as an inclusive genre itself has stagnated. everyone's doing the same shit, there's nothing truly original about it anymore.

In that case, this could be said for many other genres as well. Roadrunner is a HUGE label these days. As for Enslaved's labels (seems a different one with every album coming out), not so much, except for Nuclear Blast. They're a pretty big one as well, but not to the extent of RR. So, yes Ghost Reveries and Watershed have had extensive exposure through RR. Enslaved, IMO, is more just coming out from the underground. But I must agree that both Enslaved and Opeth are two bands that definitely have not grown stagnant or old, regardless of how much exposure they've gained over the recent years.

Now straight-up "old school" death metal, "old school" black metal, and power metal became stagnant a long time ago. That shit gets old, I don't care how technical a band gets. Obviously there's good and bad, but ideas are running out. Some of those bands become a bit comical after a while. Gore, satanism, or elves running in the forest. Take your pick...:loco: