5 most important metal bands for the global metal scene in the last 15 years.

Korn definitely should be on the list. They truly created a whole new genre (a very popular one) within metal and hard rock. As much as people hate them they did something very original in the early 90s. Especially during a time when metal had one foot in the grave it seemed. But now I kind of wish they had never come around... as much as they influenced a whole wave of bands... most of those bands were utter crap.

At The Gates... another good one!!

And Opeth... as great as they are, I have yet to really notice a large influence on the sound, scene and new bands... maybe in a few years we will see.

Opeth's style isn't being copied much be newer bands, but they have a massive fanbase for an extreme metal band and often draw in fans who are otherwise not much into metal.

The metal scene is not just the bands; the fans make up a huge part of it. So while Opeth may not be influencing the sound of newer bands at the moment, I'd argue Opeth fans are making an impact on the metal scene and culture.

Yeah but I think this thread is more about metal bands that had an influence on the sound and development of the metal scene.

Regardless...

Plus, in these days, "metal" and "non-metal" have been increasingly crossing borders. There are "metal" bands releasing "non-metal" work, and it's all music in the end. '70s metal doesn't even come close to the standards that make today's metal, but still, many of todays bands are influenced by '70s "metal". In many aspects, I don't consider Korn , or Nirvana, "metal". Although they aren't at all metal (and they've been around a lot longer than 15 years), The Cure has even been increasingly influential in the metal seen. Take Katatonia for example. There are metal bands decreasing the amount of metal in their music, as well as the other way around. So where does the line get drawn?

Rage Against the Machine became extremely popular, but not as influential as (hate to admit it) Korn.

And Opeth... as great as they are, I have yet to really notice a large influence on the sound, scene and new bands... maybe in a few years we will see.

Maybe this is because Opeth is so hard to copy? Have you ever seen a decent cover of Opeth..? Neither have I. Mikael is one and a kind, and any band to sound like opeth would require another super genius/skilled guitar player.

That being said...I think the influence of Opeth will be widespread in metal band in the upcoming years, but it might be too subtle to hear in their sound. It might be more idea oriented than sound oriented..if you know what I mean.

People sure are giving some bizarre answers to this thread - Metallica? Megadeth? Slayer? Bathory? Morbid Angel? These are/were all fantastic bands, but none of them have released anything 'influential' in the past 15 years. 15 years ago was what, 94/95? How could anyone say anything Metallica have done since then has been anything approaching influential? Also, it seems a lot of you don't understand the difference between 'influential' and 'good'. Porcupine Tree are a fantastic band, but it wouldn't be true to say they've been influential. Who, aside from Opeth, has claimed PT as an influence? For what it's worth, i'd say the most influential metal bands (on the understanding that 'influential' is distinct from 'good') from the past 15 years were, in no particular order:

Pantera - I don't even like them much, but there's no denying they had a huge influence on metal throughout the 90s. So many modern metal bands owe them a huge debt, particularly with regards to Dimebag's guitar style, which was very distinctive and has been repeatedly copied by innumerable bands.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - There must be about a million DEP copycats doing the rounds these days. They've been hugely influential, and pretty much spawned a genre of metal in themselves.

Korn - Some of you have been saying they shouldn't be anywhere near a list like this, but that's just plain denial. They were massively influential during the second half of the 90s, Christ, it seemed every new band that emerged for a few years back then sounded like a damned carbon copy of Korn. Blech. Influential yes. Good no.

Tool - As much as many people hate the rampant fanboyism that surrounds them, Tool were almost single-handedly responsible for putting prog-rock back into the mainstream. Their influence can also be heard in countless bands since the mid-90s onwards (and even more so after Lateralus was released), from their esoteric lyrics, artwork through to Adam Jones' guitar style and Maynard's vocals.

Meshuggah - So influential they've even influenced Tool (see 'Jambi' from 10000 Days). It seems like everyone's trying to insert a bit of Meshuggah into their sound these days - see the final minutes of Opeth's Deliverance. And then there's the sudden proliferation of bands who sound very similar only not as good.

Well i could have omitted PT... i explained why i thought they could fit in though... The way i understood it, the list should not be solely about influence, or maybe not at all (title says "important"). I think that apart from making a distinction between "influential" and "good", one could re-examine what is truly influential as opposed to popular and present. I went for what i thought could be regarded as groundbreaking music, now or in future, and not for "influence" seen as not so talented band inspiring a bunch of not so talented musicians to play guitar or start a band... I personally believe that truly important and lasting music often rests buried deep in musical undercurrents, but eventually comes out to the surface and changes the landscape... That's why i think Opeth or PT are fundamentally more important bands than Korn or DEP, and especially will be so in years to come (not that i hate these bands, i even find it hard to understand widespread animosity aimed at Korn). I counted 15 years backward and projected 15 years forward so to speak...

I hope there will be more lists :err:

I believe Iron Maiden is still one, if not the, biggest band in the world. But I agree with most of what the threadmaker said, and I think many modern bands habr big influences, since all we're hearing right now is pure crap. There's still exceptions, because everyone wants to be different from the lot. I don't want to name any bands right now because I don't really know about new stuff, but I believe old bands like Bathory did make a REAL and BENEFIC influence.

EDIT : Though I really admire the live ambiance brought by Pantera (and their music, at some points), I don't think they really influenced the musical world. The death of Dimebag Darrel has a big impact in the metal scene, but I can't find any progression according to this band in metal, generally.