Off topic - Religion/personal beliefs

Alexander TG

The literate drummer
Mar 23, 2003
E. London
Visit site
It's my own assumption that symphony x and progressive music alike attracts people of an intellectual (me for example :lol: ) and open minded nature. So in my hectic Sunday schedule of laying in bed and watching Eastenders(Brit soap) I would like to know what your thoughts are on religion and the after life, or we could just debate weather or not big bird is gay or not again it's up to you.

I'll start small, I think the vast majority of religion is bullshit and completely useless for the 20th century for nothing other than starting wars.

So then fellow proggers what do you believe in?

ehh thats a touchy subject, i have beliefs but i prefer to keep them to myself.
everyone has different beliefs, its a personal choice, and i wont conform to one groups idea's of how i should live my life.. you just do whatever you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.

SilentRealm said:
ehh thats a touchy subject, i have beliefs but i prefer to keep them to myself.
everyone has different beliefs, its a personal choice, and i wont conform to one groups idea's of how i should live my life.. you just do whatever you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.

That's what I think. I used to be forced to go to church and I hated it. I seriously think that some religious institutions try to brainwash people, and NOBODY is gonna tell me what to believe. I have my own ideas...I'm not into satanism, but I'm not into religion either.

Spill it you bastards... kidding,

good point silent relm, got a little carried away myself for a moment, I blame the booze.

I am Satan, congratulations for being the first ever person to say that on a metal forum. We'd better notify the Vatican to send his disciples out to Slovenia.

Alexander TG said:
I am Satan, congratulations for being the first ever person to say that on a metal forum. We'd better notify the Vatican to send his disciples out to Slovenia.
That is unlikely because I run the Vatican!! :devil:

We all know the Big Bang theory, I think. The tiny particle of matter that explodes, then the leftovers clump together over billions of years and form starts and planets and such...

Well, I think that after the universe stops expanding, it will start to despand, then eventually become that tiny unstable particle again. Then, after another few billion years, it will explode and start all over again. This process has probably been happening since the beginning of time. There has or had to be something out there that created the particle, but I doubt that being is still alive and/or watches over us...

Some people are devout Catholics. Some people are devout Moslems. I'm not devout anything.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic by my parents. For a time, I didn't question the relevance of my faith in my life--since it wasn't interfering with my affairs as much. However, constant exposure to philosophy and astrophysics has opened up doors for me--and has compelled me to question that once-infallible religion.

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm still in that questioning stage, where I hold nothing sacred before me. Better it would be for me to stay this way than to follow some faith blindly.

Its not something I care too much about, but I do find the thought of a mystical creature magically creating a world and watching over it just plain wierd. Especially since theres no actual proof that god exists. I'm still trying to figure out how people can devote their entire life to something that may not even exist.

If I remember my Western Philosophy correctly, I think it was Marx who said that "religion is the opium of the masses."

In that light, I think people look to imagined or contrived things as an escape from the tedium of daily routine. I guess it won't be a hasty generalization to say that religion is one of the earliest contrivances that man looks to as an escape or refuge.

Some people really devote their lives to this, but they have different reasons. And sometimes, theeir devotion takes them to all the ridiculous places. Just look at the people flogging themselves in certain parts of the Philippines on Good Friday--at the height of the observance of Holy Week. These people say they are doing that as a form of penance. The Tourism board sees it as an attraction, a spectacle to behold. I think it's a crock of sh*t.

Why so? Because these people think they're free to make transgressions against their religion for the rest of the year..because they're forgiven already. I shake my head in utter dismay.

The Yngster said:
I'm still trying to figure out how people can devote their entire life to something that may not even exist.
Well, that may be answered knowing that they actually believe God exists.

Anyway, going back to the original question, I'm a catholic. Surprising that it seems like I'm the only one who believes in something...

Im a Christian. I believe that Jesus is Lord. I believe in Biblical Creationism.I believe that debating over religion on the internet is pointless.

OrestesMantra said:
Im a Christian. I believe that Jesus is Lord. I believe in Biblical Creationism.I believe that debating over religion on the internet is pointless.

That makes 2 of us, (in all that u said.)
I hate Religious debates.. They seem to always get nasty,..
Maybe this one won't I don't know, but it is a VERY touchy subject.

Manga-San said:
We all know the Big Bang theory, I think. The tiny particle of matter that explodes, then the leftovers clump together over billions of years and form starts and planets and such...

Well, I think that after the universe stops expanding, it will start to despand, then eventually become that tiny unstable particle again. Then, after another few billion years, it will explode and start all over again. This process has probably been happening since the beginning of time. There has or had to be something out there that created the particle, but I doubt that being is still alive and/or watches over us...
I sometimes like to think that the Big Bang, or at least a kind of big boom goes hand in hand with Intelligent Design. I, nor anyone else, has the means to "prove" the existence of any Great Creator nor for that matter, the way in which the Universe came to be.

It seems that after all this time filled with so many arguing the existance of God, and over the first moments of the Universe, that it would be amusing if there is One God, and He created all, but used use our known physical laws in combination with His own power to create the Universe using the evolution theory. Since, as far as we know, the Laws of Thermodynamics probably reign true in all of our Universe, and entropy makes it impossible for energy to be created, so how else could it come to be?

Edit: And by the way, I am a Christian too, but I don't like to force my beliefs down peoples throats, and I like to be myself and let God dictate wether what I am doing is good or bad, not anyone else. So you won't ever hear me arguing beliefs or condemning anyone's actions, unless they're suppossed to be Christian of course. Why? Because it's pretty clear in the Bible that Believers aren't suppossed to judge the unsaved, but only the Church's. (well, what is supossed to be the Church. And for those of you who don't know, the word Church is supossed to be the Believers in a spiritual sense, not the actual buildings.)

Man, Polyeidus....that's weird....it's your post # 666 !! Eeewww. o_O

I am a Christian. I spent a couple of years searching to understand religion. Many devote their entire lives. My personal conclusion.....I found a simplicity within the complexity of it all. It has been all screwed up, and it's incomprehensible to me. But I have a strong, solid, and very simple faith. I don't attend a church. I've seen "miracles" happen and I've experienced the presence of "spirits". Therefore, I DO believe in God and an afterlife.

I respect everyone for who they are, no matter what they believe or don't believe, and I think these posts are interesting.