Official buying advice thread

You can get heavy distortion with any guitar, but you can only get good tone from a good guitar.

A Squier strat with three single coils will get heavy, highly distorted tone out of a really nice high gain amp, but it won't sound very good.

Im guessing BEADGB.

I noticed talk over looks on basses, I actually prefer the standard design since Im not much for flashy or customized look to make it seem 'metal'. I have a Cort Action for 3 years now and Im still perfectly satisfied with how it looks.

Thats a sweet bass :D

What is the scale of it?

i think 34 or 35
24 frets
it plays beautifully. it's no where near a 'metal bass'. the wood is beautiful and looks elegant
its 35.
this is one of ibanez's prestige basses and so far as i know the only model that has 35 scale.
(for noobs. longer scale=tighter string tension. the low B will sound and play better then on most of the other bass guitars)

Im guessing BEADGB.

I noticed talk over looks on basses, I actually prefer the standard design since Im not much for flashy or customized look to make it seem 'metal'. I have a Cort Action for 3 years now and Im still perfectly satisfied with how it looks.
quoting to support the Corts :kickass:
this is one of the best cheapest basses and guitar out there

Thanks alot Nayz and yeah, necrophagist has killer basslines.
I noticed talk over looks on basses, I actually prefer the standard design since Im not much for flashy or customized look to make it seem 'metal'.

Idon´t want it t look metal, just something different from standard basses, something that for me, look better than the millions of basses out there everybody has. I just don´t like to have something just because its more used or popular or fits better to a genre, anyways what the instrument can do its way more important than how it looks so fuck it, I just want a good bass.

OK, another thing. Can you get heavy distortion with ANY electric guitar? For example, can you play Cannibal Corpse riffs on any guitar as long as you set the distortion right with the amp?

You can but it won't sound very good. Some good humbuckers should do it.

Thanks alot Nayz and yeah, necrophagist has killer basslines.

Idon´t want it t look metal, just something different from standard basses, something that for me, look better than the millions of basses out there everybody has. I just don´t like to have something just because its more used or popular or fits better to a genre, anyways what the instrument can do its way more important than how it looks so fuck it, I just want a good bass.
good bass is something very relative. you can have good quality wood and pickups but the shape is crappy or too standard for you.
if you don't want to use a mass production bass which might be good then go customshop. though it will be more expensive offcourse there are some cheaper customshops though check:
[SIZE=-1]www.ranguitars.com
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]www.lootnick.com[/SIZE]

Can anyone suggest an overdrive pedal with a strong clear tone, perhaps similar to what Necrophagist uses for their solos? I've been looking around and listening to the demos on musiciansfriend.com and the BOSS OS-2 seems to be the most appealing so far. I don't really know what to look for in a pedal though, because I'm a composition person, not a gear person. The most important thing to me is that the tone be clear, not muddy. My amp is a Spider III 15W, but I may look into something bigger in the future.

I have the same amp, it kinda sucks but it was cheap so I bought it because I had one that was worse by far. I really need a better amp, the sound gets kinda bad in high volumes even with good pickups and a decent cable. :\

I have the same amp too. I hate pretty much all the settings. The clean has a weak sound in my opinion. The crunch is alright if I'm gonna play something bluesy. I don't like the metal at all cause it gives me tons of string noise and I can get a heavier sound with my boss mega distortion pedal. And the insane just sucks. But I like the effects.

I have the same amp too. I hate pretty much all the settings. The clean has a weak sound in my opinion. The crunch is alright if I'm gonna play something bluesy. I don't like the metal at all cause it gives me tons of string noise and I can get a heavier sound with my boss mega distortion pedal. And the insane just sucks. But I like the effects.

Work on your muting technique. If you're getting string noise thats your fault, not the amps.

Work on your muting technique. If you're getting string noise thats your fault, not the amps.

No, its the amp. Even with descent pickups that amp makes noise at high volumes even when you don't play it. And its true, it may save the pain in the ass of getting a effects/distortion pedal but anyway it sucks. Btw i have heard very good things about the better versions like 75 and above.

I agree with Matt, if you're getting string noise it's down to your technique. Although by what ^ is describing sounds to me like normal feedback, try sitting further away from your amp or dabbing blu-tack on your pickups. And I don't know about you, but whenever I pause/stop whilst practising I always turn the volume right down.

hello, i know this is not right topic but i wonder should i start playing bass, i mean i`m 18 now, is it too late, how long does it usually take for an avarage person to lern playing bass? if i couldnt get a grasp of it by 20.-21. then fuck it

Between a PRS Custom SE or a Ibanez RG model. . . The budget is around 600 or so. I'm a huge Opeth and Porcupine Tree fan as well as King Crimson, Rush, etc etc. I listen to a lot of older prog. I would go with the SE but I've heard it's not THAT great, it goes out of tune pretty easily, and that if you're going to get a PRS get a high end one. My fear of Ibanez stems from the fact they have a reputation for being guitars for shredders. . .I'm not a shredder. . . I want options with tone and variety in styles of playing. Hopefully this information helps. Thanks in advance!