Official Off Topic Thread

The (still unfinished) sequel is the greatest FPS ever and deserves no blame for anything. To me it makes a lot more sense to point the finger at the ones who did it wrong instead of the ones who got it right.

I have to disagree about it being the greatest FPS ever, but it is a great game. However, in some way I feel that it lacks the charm of the original. I can't quite put my finger on why, though.

I really liked Episode 2 (more so than HL2), and I wish Valve would have focused on Episode 3 as opposed to stuff like Portal and Left 4 Dead. Exploring that frozen ship should eventually be really neat.

Also, I wasn't pointing the finger at Valve for "doing it right," but rather the copycats who saw HL2's success and used its formula. So on that we agree.

It depends entirely on what you're into. TV consoles aren't the optimal hardware for dungeon crawlers, that's for sure. But for some things, namely fighting games, it is the only viable option.

you can plug in any controller into a PC.
but perhaps the best fighting games are console exclusives and can't be emulated on PC - I wouldn't know.
the TV consoles getting exclusive titles is really the only advantage they have. perhaps price as well, I suppose.

Like I said, the obvious advantage for consoles is that everything is guaranteed to work great. You don't have to worry about "system requirements" and expensive graphic cards and all that shit when getting that new cool game you've been waiting for.

For certain games, nothing beats mouse/keyboard control though. Don't consoles support those already (in standard usb format and with no lagging)? If not they really should. Would probably kill the pc gaming market.

you can plug in any controller into a PC.

There are no more good fighting games for PC than there are good dungeon crawlers for Xbox.

Of course PC is theoretically the best platform. What's holding it back is the fact that publishers aren't too interested in it because of piracy being about 100 times bigger problem in PC gaming than in concole gaming.

There are no more good fighting games for PC than there are good dungeon crawlers for Xbox.

Of course PC is theoretically the best platform. What's holding it back is the fact that publishers aren't too interested in it because of piracy being about 100 times bigger problem in PC gaming than in concole gaming.

... besides the fact that PC digital sales is the most growing market, yes.

The PC market is small in Japan and games like Uncharted are console-exclusive purely based on business deals, not because of piracy. That's why there are games on consoles that also don't exist on PC.
Most "blockbuster"-titles make their way to PC, on which it is always the superior version.

Also, PC has an indie market unrivaled by any other, including tablets and smart phones.

Oh, I've been friends on Facebook with that Max Gorelick guy for years without even knowing that he was Kenny G's kid. He used to be one of the Wintersun forum regulars when that place was still up. You live and learn, I guess!