Official Off Topic Thread

Mathiäs;10655923 said:
God this forum is dead. It's sad.
I don't think many of the remaining (active) people actually care too much about SX at this point.
Apart from some guy who only discusses marvel movies and some other people, I'd say there's a nice collection of "sophisticated" metal fans here that is hard to find elsewhere. But it's not like I've looked around.
I visit by old habit every other day. The only other sub-forums I sometimes check on UM is Dan Swanö and Demonoid - both far more dead than this forum :D

shame too, cause Swano fans are pretty good for conversation too.

agreed with above. This place, along with (aeons ago) the Opeth forum, were the only real draw for UM.

The saddest part is that there's not too much to talk about regarding SX. They release a new album every 3-4 years, and the forum swells a bit, but every topic quickly devolves into new fans being harassed by old fans or vice versa. The hype dies down, new fans leave and never come back because they don't feel welcome, and we're left with the same two OT threads that have existed for years.

If the band was doing more, maybe we'd have more to talk about (or maybe not). At this point, the people who use the forum don't like the new material anyway, so it's difficult to sustain talkback within new threads.

I have actually gotten a few good music recommendations from here even this year, but I just haven't bothered to post in a while. So yeah, I think there are smart people here, but not very many of us. Symphony X isn't a band that brings weekly or even monthly news to talk about, so I'm not really sure how to solve this.

We could of course just go ahead and start talking about practically anything.

Like, Red Letter Media does really good movie reviews! http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/

He's always up to no good, but I don't think he'd actually do anything that would land him in jail again. Unless he gets diagnosed with a terminal illness or something, then it's all bets off.

I doubt just anyone would have gotten arrested for a mere combo of writing neo-nazi stuff online and having a wife that suddenly buys a few rifles. I don't like the idea of people being under surveillance for no specific reason, but on the other hand I'm glad someone is keeping an eye on this guy. He's proven to be quite messed up after all.

He's certainly crazy. But I don't think terrorist shoot-em-up plots are his style. If anything, I think he would feel insulted at the accusation of something beneath his intellect. He'd probably prefer to wage his cultural war with words.

Unless he snaps. So yeah, he's nuts but not that kind of nuts. Mostly.