Official Release Dates of Nevermore's "The Obsidian Conspiracy" and Album Cover Art

It's more then that.

Never once in any of these posts have I said Jeff is not a great player. In fact I have stated in every post how awesome he is

Jeff is an awesome guitar player, and WD is probably my 2nd fave vocalist of all time (sorry man the fag from england beat you out ...lol). Van is a monster behind the kit, and how can you say a bad word about Jim. He is THE MOST MELODIC AND SOLID BASSIST TO EVER LIVE imho.

.... that being said.

I am a fan of the older nevermore style as are most here on the neverboard. The quality of the music isn't lacking or the talent behind it, its more that the riffs all sounds the same now. DHIADW for me was the end of a very exciting time in this band, POE being its peak.

I am just not a fan of the way this sounds.

God people all of this over a comment on a rough mix.... Jesus its like i killed the pope or something....lol

Again before calling people silly you should read what people wright. This has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with personal preference. So continue to crucify me over an opinion, its clear to me what opinions are not appreciated and everything nowadays is done to satisfy some inner self serving demon.

I just find it so interesting that this discussion has caused such a stir its cause Andy to lock the thread in his forum, Brooks to post, and James to come out of the wood work ... god all we need is Smyth to comment on this and it would be complete!!!

As I take it...

guitarguru grew up in the big hair 80's when metal was the hot shit. But in a effort to appear tough and dangerous, he gravitated towards the heavier stuff - the Metallica's, the Megadeth's - the shrapnel, if you will. He could appear and feel tough, yet he still had a soft side for stuff like Queensryche and Dream Theater, the sheep in wolves clothing. It was there he had the time of his life: beer, shredding guitars, headbanging, what's not to like? He had become a guitarguru.

What's not to like? Change. He left the Suffocation guys just as they were starting to do something unique and new, as this frightened the poor guru. He had come into his own in the prog-metal scene, loved by his homoerotic metal brothers, and what was this? Gruff vocals? Intense shifting time signatures and pulverizing beats? You can't raise your beer triumphantly and smile to the pretty girl at the club that you're not gonna home with to that! That's scary!

And all of a sudden it was the 90's. The escapism of Metal was out. Reality was in, and was clad in flannel and was playing a Fender Jaguar. The pussy well had dried up, and suddenly 'authenticity' was all the rage. The guru closed his eyes, and felt the entirety of his metal mojo starting to retract into his sphincter. Damn you Seattle!!!

BUT WAIT! As the guru closed his eyes, he heard a faint sound in the distance.... and it was coming from that very north-west! Someone had decided to keep the shred wagon rolling, and this band of anachronistic avengers called themselves NEVERMORE! This was everything that the guru loved about his dear metal youth, and boy it was heavy! Screaming guitars! Soaring vocals! Guys who could play! This sounds like the band he had wanted Suffocation to form back when he was in his prime! The guru noted that, yes, he was no longer in his prime, but no matter; this band made him feel as if he was! The guru had returned!

This was all well and merry up until Nevermore decided themselves to try something new and unique, and they pick up a new instrument with a longer register, and more potential to freshen up their sound. This angered the guru, and though he went along with it at first, it began to grind and grind upon him until he had had enough! How dare they 'chug' on this so called low-b! Those aren't riffs! Those are rhythms! That wasn't the sound the guru grew up with; this was not the scene that reminded the guru of the days of greener pastures and the homo-erotocracy he refuses to give up! No!

TO THE MESSAGE BOARDS!!!!@

Pretty much sums it up right there Brooks. But I wasn't one of the "shrapnel records" dudes. It was more about Testament, and Metallica in the 80s. in the 90s it was Pantera and Nevermore along with Megadeth and getting into things like DT and Queensryce.

None of this makes me angry, I find it all funny actually... but that was a good story to re-live right there Brooks, thanks for the fond memories :)

As I take it...

guitarguru grew up in the big hair 80's when metal was the hot shit. But in a effort to appear tough and dangerous, he gravitated towards the heavier stuff - the Metallica's, the Megadeth's - the shrapnel, if you will. He could appear and feel tough, yet he still had a soft side for stuff like Queensryche and Dream Theater, the sheep in wolves clothing. It was there he had the time of his life: beer, shredding guitars, headbanging, what's not to like? He had become a guitarguru.

What's not to like? Change. He left the Suffocation guys just as they were starting to do something unique and new, as this frightened the poor guru. He had come into his own in the prog-metal scene, loved by his homoerotic metal brothers, and what was this? Gruff vocals? Intense shifting time signatures and pulverizing beats? You can't raise your beer triumphantly and smile to the pretty girl at the club that you're not gonna home with to that! That's scary!

And all of a sudden it was the 90's. The escapism of Metal was out. Reality was in, and was clad in flannel and was playing a Fender Jaguar. The pussy well had dried up, and suddenly 'authenticity' was all the rage. The guru closed his eyes, and felt the entirety of his metal mojo starting to retract into his sphincter. Damn you Seattle!!!

BUT WAIT! As the guru closed his eyes, he heard a faint sound in the distance.... and it was coming from that very north-west! Someone had decided to keep the shred wagon rolling, and this band of anachronistic avengers called themselves NEVERMORE! This was everything that the guru loved about his dear metal youth, and boy it was heavy! Screaming guitars! Soaring vocals! Guys who could play! This sounds like the band he had wanted Suffocation to form back when he was in his prime! The guru noted that, yes, he was no longer in his prime, but no matter; this band made him feel as if he was! The guru had returned!

This was all well and merry up until Nevermore decided themselves to try something new and unique, and they pick up a new instrument with a longer register, and more potential to freshen up their sound. This angered the guru, and though he went along with it at first, it began to grind and grind upon him until he had had enough! How dare they 'chug' on this so called low-b! Those aren't riffs! Those are rhythms! That wasn't the sound the guru grew up with; this was not the scene that reminded the guru of the days of greener pastures and the homo-erotocracy he refuses to give up! No!

TO THE MESSAGE BOARDS!!!!@

So what else do you write?

peeps2.jpg

even though brooks' post was funny as the fact I only have one testicle, I can't help but agree that the riff work has gotten a lot lazier since Dead Heart and a lot less identifiable as Nevermore. Honestly that new song could be an Arch Enemy song with Angela singing no matter how much it hurts to admit that.