Official "Song of the Week" 2013 thread

Sorry this is not in the metal genre at all, but I think it is an amazing/beautiful song that I am listening to this week.

Here is the song "Will the Circle be Unbroken" from the soundtrack of Bioshock Infinite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the only new thing I've listened to this week is the trailer for the new Summoning album. Which, while it does indeed kick ass, I don't think qualifies to be posted since it's not a whole song.

Hmmm. So the rules are the rules...except when they're NOT the rules.

I thought that acoustic version was 2013 and was late on catching it otherwise and gave an explanation as such. Since it was quoted in several others posts, I did not remove it.

Sorry if you feel singled out otherwise.

Mixing it up a bit -- here's a nonmetal song. There's been a huge resurgence of synthpop, goth-y sounding stuff, etc over the past few years. You know, bands biting from Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, etc. The best of these happens to be the most popular, too. Cold Cave has released 2 EPs this year and a 3rd is on the way. I have listened to this song multiple times almost every day for the past few weeks and that's not stopping soon.

This CIVIL WAR song is very good. This really sounds like Sabaton, but with a better singer.
Don't be mistaken, I enjoy Sabaton a lot as well as Joakim's vocals who fit the music like a glove, but NPJ is still a better singer.

In the end, the split results in 2 good bands so all is nice. :D

I dig this. What's the best release to start with?

My favorite material is actually all on his last 3 EPs -- God Made the World, Oceans With No End, and A Little Death to Laugh. They're fairly different from each other, so listening to all 3 wouldn't really give you much of an 'album' feel, but time-wise, it'll come out to under half an hour. His best LP is 'Cherish the Light Years'. If you're ever interested in other new bands doing something similar, just shoot me a message. There are plenty go around right now.

Okay, here's one that follows the rules of being a 2013 release.

Cyrenic - I just discovered them 30 minutes ago, really badass athmospheric rock. This reminds me a lot of Swano's Nightingale and a little Riverside or Votum mixed in. My order is already placed.

"First To Go - Last To Know" by Lazy Bonez, featuring Marco Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot) and Udo Dirkschneider (U.D.O, ex Accept)

Mind you, 50% of Lazy Bonez consist of 60% of Tarot! (Tommi, Pecu and Janne)

The album "Lazy Bonez Vol. 1" released on 3/22/13 has not left my player in two weeks.

www.lazybonez.fi
www.youtube.com/user/LazyBonezOfficial

This grabbed a hold of me this week. Power metal from Russia

Hammerforce - Earth Is On Trial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c_G_Plf-Fc

From Hammerforce Facebook:

Hey, guys! Free album download here!
Nikita Merzlyakov has his birthday on April 13. He is 30 now! To celebrate this date Hammerforce gives away brand new album “Access Denied” for free!
Download here: http://hammerforce.bandcamp.com/. Just type “0” in the price field during checkout. Enjoy your listening!
Of course you may want to make Nikita birthday present, then please pay more or buy some merch. Thanks to you and happy birthday to Nikita! \m/
Giveaway ends on April 15, 11:59 a.m.

My favorite material is actually all on his last 3 EPs -- God Made the World, Oceans With No End, and A Little Death to Laugh. They're fairly different from each other, so listening to all 3 wouldn't really give you much of an 'album' feel, but time-wise, it'll come out to under half an hour. His best LP is 'Cherish the Light Years'. If you're ever interested in other new bands doing something similar, just shoot me a message. There are plenty go around right now.
Perfect. Thank you. I'll look for those EPs.