Oh God! Did anyone see the new guitar world?

Bodom isn't really a black metal band. They're a power metal/just plain metal band with semi-black vocals.

Alexi does know what's up a lot more than he gets credit for. His harmonies are great. Examples - "Hate Me!" has some simple but really original harmonies. "Every Time I Die" makes great use of all four kinds of harmonic motion.

Progbass said:
Ok, hammett and hetfield doesn't maybe belong that high but you should understand that playing riffs is often harder than soloing, master of puppets CD has some hard riffs, that ask some attitude and strenght to play cleanly.

actually you just need tons and tons of Yaegermeister!!! :kickass:

These lists are kind of nice because they do give some recognition to players who may not be well known. And if someone searches them out to find out about them, that's good.

The thing I hate about these lists is the writers can't seem to stay on the subject. They have Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix, D.B.D. Roeser, Robert Fripp, Brian May, etc. who may all be great guitarists, but they aren't "METAL" guitarists.

Also, what the hell is CC Deville doing on this list, let alone at #34? Can he really be classified as one of "the great men who shit iron and piss stainless steel razor blades, and do it every time they plug into an amplifier."? I think not!

Oh PUKE! I agree with whoever said these lists are stupid!!! But now that I've SEEN it, it's even MORE ridiculous! I don't know HOW they figured this order, but the criteria certainly had nothing to do with guitar playing...or even METAL for that matter. I understand including people who might not BE metal, but influenced metal (for example, I can live with Iommi, Page & Nugent being in there) but then where are all the Jazz fusion guys that had major influence?! No DiMeola, Holdsworth, MacLaughlin. Where are Zappa and Mike Keneally?

Oh yeah, and one more of MY personal favs. ...WHERE is Tore Ostby? I won't even go into how many people on that list that I think DON'T belong!

One more thing, then I'm done with this...is there anyone out there who really, honestly likes Kirk Hammet's guitar playing? (I mean musicians) I just don't get why he gets so much credit?

that's all.

Paul Adrian
http://wooden-badger.com

JESUS! Now I have to kill myself for trying to comprehend the idiocy of "Guitar World". That was the most dishonorable thing I've ever seen. Kirk Hammett #2! :confused: He would be slain the instant he dared stand on the same stage as Becker, Romeo, Vai, or Malmsteen. I think that anyone who even rates Jack White as a guitarist should immediatly commit themsleves or commit suicide. Not even going to mention Kurt Cobain, whse one good thing he ever did was to blow his own brains out. An the Slayer guitarists? I listen to Slayer, but there solos are no more than speed, with no technique or feeling. I know that this is a metal forum, but "Friday Night in San Fransisco" by DiMeola, De Lucia, and McLaughlin is the ultimate shred album of all time. Also, Eliot Fisk's acoustic versions of the immortal "24 caprices" by Paganini will kill anyone who listens to it.

The list was surprising considering considering it's from a US guitar magazine. I mostly disagree with the list but here are my main complaints and ideas that I haven't seen posted yet ...

I was disappointed of the fact that neither Oscar Dronjak or Stefan Elmgreen of HammerFall were not mentioned. Stefan Elmgreen has some of the most emotional and moving guitar solos and Power Metal while Oscar Dronjak is basiclly the Tipton/Downing team of the new millennium. I really think they deserve more recognition than they have gotten.

Where the hell is Jani Liimatainen of Sonata Arctica? This man is just as credible as either Laiho or Tolkki ... heh, he actually has some class whereas neither of those do as far as I am concerned. Anyhow, I really think Jani should have been included on this list since I'm sure anyone that considers themselves a Sonata Arctica fan would agree.

Luca Turilli! Man, I almost had a furious rage when I did not see Luca Turilli mentioned on here. He is a great Neo-Classical player, but, more importantly, his song-writing skills are fantastic. Rhapsody is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) Power Metal act for they are skilled, original and creative musicians. Why Luca was not included on this list blows my mind.

For this one, well, I'm not so surprised. I generally feel Kiko Loureiro of Angra is extremely underrated for he is an amazing guitarist. Everytime I watch the Rebirth World Tour DVD I am in awe by his amazing playing. It's so smooth, clean and, well, just incredible that he really deserves more credit than he has gotten. I'm not surprised he isn't on this list but he should have been.

Why were Abbath and Euro included on this list? For one, anyone that consides themselves a Black Metal fan knows that neither Euro or Abbath would want to be included on something like this ... especially Euro. Since they included those two where is Ihshan and Vikernes? Ihsahn is one of most skilled Black Metal musicians and Varg is definitely the most imaginative. Of course, Immortal is fairly popular and since Euro is dead he will generally get a lot more attention ... I'm sure if he was alive he wouldn't be on the list. In fact, I'm positive on that matter.

Lastly, Children Of Bodom is NOT Black Metal. Just because a band uses harsh vocals doesn'e mean they are Black Metal or even close for the matter. There are hardly any blast-beats in Bodom's music and their sound is general Finnish Power Metal.

I'm done! :)

Nothing on this list confused me more than:

"The March 2004 issue of Guitar World magazine includes a list of the 100 greatest heavy metal guitarists as selected by the magazine's staff. A tribute to the great men who shit iron and piss stainless steel razor blades, and do it every time they plug into an amplifier"

and they put Neil Young on this list..in what strange fucked up twilight zone alternate universe is Neil Young razor pissin' heavy fuckin' metal???!?!!?!

And they put Jimi Page + Hendrix up there but no Clapton?!?! and Michael Schenker is on the list but no Uli Jon Roth!?!? Uli is 3000 times better than Michael Schenker..who else on this planet can play a 40 fret 7 string and do Back and Pagannini on it, oh, right, only Uli Jon Roth..Even Malmsteen bows to his godly fretwork....

these editors need to stop doing lines, clean off the dried blood and actually think for once before publishing this magazine..

I really have to stop looking at this list, cause everytime I do I think I have a mild stroke...

and Im done with this too, Ive had my rants, time to move on..

Now the media is trying to brainwash people with this list
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=638&e=1&u=/nm/20040201/en_nm/music_guitar_dc

"Uli is 3000 times better than Michael Schenker..who else on this planet can play a 40 fret 7 string and do Back and Pagannini on it, oh, right, only Uli Jon Roth..Even Malmsteen bows to his godly fretwork...."

I do not agree, although i have not seen Uli play that...

Transcendental Sky Guitar is one of the most amazing guitar shred albums ever made..imagin a guitar with the same vocal range as a violin doing everything from paganini to Beethoven to Bach and everything in between...he even played along side Vai, Satch, Schenker and brian May during a G3 tour..
oh, and my bad, its a 42 fret guitar, one is even fretless..!!
http://www.edenwaith.com/uliroth/music/skyguitar.html

Oakenson said:
The list was surprising considering considering it's from a US guitar magazine. I mostly disagree with the list but here are my main complaints and ideas that I haven't seen posted yet ...

I was disappointed of the fact that neither Oscar Dronjak or Stefan Elmgreen of HammerFall were not mentioned. Stefan Elmgreen has some of the most emotional and moving guitar solos and Power Metal while Oscar Dronjak is basiclly the Tipton/Downing team of the new millennium. I really think they deserve more recognition than they have gotten.

Where the hell is Jani Liimatainen of Sonata Arctica? This man is just as credible as either Laiho or Tolkki ... heh, he actually has some class whereas neither of those do as far as I am concerned. Anyhow, I really think Jani should have been included on this list since I'm sure anyone that considers themselves a Sonata Arctica fan would agree.

Luca Turilli! Man, I almost had a furious rage when I did not see Luca Turilli mentioned on here. He is a great Neo-Classical player, but, more importantly, his song-writing skills are fantastic. Rhapsody is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) Power Metal act for they are skilled, original and creative musicians. Why Luca was not included on this list blows my mind.

For this one, well, I'm not so surprised. I generally feel Kiko Loureiro of Angra is extremely underrated for he is an amazing guitarist. Everytime I watch the Rebirth World Tour DVD I am in awe by his amazing playing. It's so smooth, clean and, well, just incredible that he really deserves more credit than he has gotten. I'm not surprised he isn't on this list but he should have been.

Why were Abbath and Euro included on this list? For one, anyone that consides themselves a Black Metal fan knows that neither Euro or Abbath would want to be included on something like this ... especially Euro. Since they included those two where is Ihshan and Vikernes? Ihsahn is one of most skilled Black Metal musicians and Varg is definitely the most imaginative. Of course, Immortal is fairly popular and since Euro is dead he will generally get a lot more attention ... I'm sure if he was alive he wouldn't be on the list. In fact, I'm positive on that matter.

Lastly, Children Of Bodom is NOT Black Metal. Just because a band uses harsh vocals doesn'e mean they are Black Metal or even close for the matter. There are hardly any blast-beats in Bodom's music and their sound is general Finnish Power Metal.

I'm done! :)

I'd have Luca on there, but not too high. As a composer, he's mindblowing. As a guitarist, he's repetitive. You know I love Rhapsody, but most of his solos are really similar. "Rain of a Thousand Flames" is the only one that's really difficult. Most of them are really simple patterns (picked BLINDINGLY fast, I'll give him that). I've always been a tad bit suspicious of Luca - listen to how technical he is on the first album, then listen to how sloppy the sweeps are in the later albums... almost suggests he had someone else do the solos on songs like "Lord of the Thunder." He still wails, and he's one of my top 5 favorites, though.

RobbM said:
and Michael Schenker is on the list but no Uli Jon Roth!?!? Uli is 3000 times better than Michael Schenker..who else on this planet can play a 40 fret 7 string and do Back and Pagannini on it, oh, right, only Uli Jon Roth..Even Malmsteen bows to his godly fretwork....
Now now, Uli is one of my all time favorite players and personally I may prefer him over Michael, but to say that he's 3000 better than Schenker is a bit silly. Sure, he's better nowadays, since Schenker is not what he used to be anymore.

Dado-x said:
Now now, Uli is one of my all time favorite players and personally I may prefer him over Michael, but to say that he's 3000 better than Schenker is a bit silly. Sure, he's better nowadays, since Schenker is not what he used to be anymore.

Dont forget, Uli influenced at least 50% of the people on this stupid list, including #2...

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'd have Luca on there, but not too high. As a composer, he's mindblowing. As a guitarist, he's repetitive. You know I love Rhapsody, but most of his solos are really similar. "Rain of a Thousand Flames" is the only one that's really difficult. Most of them are really simple patterns (picked BLINDINGLY fast, I'll give him that). I've always been a tad bit suspicious of Luca - listen to how technical he is on the first album, then listen to how sloppy the sweeps are in the later albums... almost suggests he had someone else do the solos on songs like "Lord of the Thunder." He still wails, and he's one of my top 5 favorites, though.

I do agree on the fact that he has gotten more "sloppy" over the years although I've also noticed that his guitar tone is more "muddy" now than it was on either Legendary Tales or Symphony Of Enchanted Lands. I think what has happened is he was concentrated more on composition than actual Neo-Classical guitar playing if that makes sense. If you look at the albums each album generally gets more complex as far as the composition of songs go ... at least this is how I feel.

Nonetheless, I think he should have been on the list ... afterall, the songs Rhapsody compose are absolutly amazing and very unique as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I think Romeo should have basiclly been right on the top of the list. He is what I consider to be the most skilled guitar player and composer. The Symphony X song-structures are amazing and his guitar ability is obviously just as amazing. Why he was all the way towards the bottom really doesn't give me much reason to respect the Guitar World magazine ...

PS: I'm a Rhapsody fan-boy so I hope no one gets too upset with my feelings about the Grandmaster Luca Turilli! :)

WOW !! That is a fucking awesome list. Good to see some Prog dudes in there. As a matter of fact, MANY of the bands are Prog and Prog related.

Didn't see Gary Wehrkamp from S.Gallery on there. He is an awesome musician !!

New label seeking unsigned bands. Check us out.

www.lonewolfmusic.com

Oakenson said:
I do agree on the fact that he has gotten more "sloppy" over the years although I've also noticed that his guitar tone is more "muddy" now than it was on either Legendary Tales or Symphony Of Enchanted Lands. I think what has happened is he was concentrated more on composition than actual Neo-Classical guitar playing if that makes sense. If you look at the albums each album generally gets more complex as far as the composition of songs go ... at least this is how I feel.

Nonetheless, I think he should have been on the list ... afterall, the songs Rhapsody compose are absolutly amazing and very unique as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I think Romeo should have basiclly been right on the top of the list. He is what I consider to be the most skilled guitar player and composer. The Symphony X song-structures are amazing and his guitar ability is obviously just as amazing. Why he was all the way towards the bottom really doesn't give me much reason to respect the Guitar World magazine ...

PS: I'm a Rhapsody fan-boy so I hope no one gets too upset with my feelings about the Grandmaster Luca Turilli! :)

I agree with what you said about how he concentrated more on composition and less on playing as time went on. And that's how I like it, especially with a band like Rhapsody.