Oh shit, I think I like Novembre equal to Opeth...

Which album is better? Classica or Novembrine Waltz?

• Classica (NW is still great!)

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Novembrine Waltz (Classica is still great!)

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • They are equal! Novembre just kicks ass!!!!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Novembre? Nah, don't care for them at all....

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Fuck, if anyone remembers a NOVEMBRE thread I posted here a while back with me stating how I had my "Novembrine Waltz" & "Classica" CD's on order from TheEnd Records, well......I had them for quite some time now and have listened to each numerous times.....in fact, so many times I have lost count now......

:eek: This fucking band is incredible beyond words can even describe! I am amazed with the emotion they convey in their music....it is simply stunning. The most shocking thing is, that there is hardly a bad song on a CD.....heck, they are ALL nearly equal in quality it is incredibly difficult comparing the songs to one another they are just SO SUPERB!

And damn, Carmelo's vocal work is some of the finest I have ever heard.....heck, it is! In fact, I never thought I'd hear anyone that matches Mikael's growls in the area of metal, but here it is....Carmelo equals Mikael IMO for best growls I have ever heard. Seriously, after listening to the above two album's by Novembre you'll most definitely know what I mean.

Lastly, I will say this....and I do NOT hesitate at this. They are tied now with Opeth as my FAVOURITE band of all-time. Comparing these two bands is just irrelevant to me - I cannot do it. Both.....brilliant! Man these guys impressed the hell out of me...I'm just, well.....blown away by how amazing the albums are. Classica and Waltz to me are equal as well, still can't decide which album I prefer......

Sorry for coming out all too excited here, but it cannot be helped and just had to express my gratitude to this band for their exceptional talent. Also, I would like to gather some thoughts from others on the band that is Novembre....seriously, there isn't a passing moment I do not listen to Novembre. They occupy most of my play time nowadays.....what a brilliant band!

I thought I'd share 10 songs which I feel are highlights of the band (I'll do my best given how difficult this task truly is.)

So, in order here they are.....on second thought, I'd tried that and cannot do it in order. I like them all too equally that it pains me.... So, I'll just name 10;

Come Pierrot ~ "Novembrine Waltz"
Child of the Twilight ~ "Novembrine Waltz"
L'epoque Noire ~ "Classica"
Love Story ~ "Classica"
Foto Blu Infinito ~ "Classica"
Nostalgiaplatz ~ "Classica"
My Starving Bambina ~ "Classica"
Distances ~ "Novembrine Waltz"
Venezia Dismal ~ "Novembrine Waltz"
Cold Blue Steel ~ "Classica"

Keep in mind I LOVE THEM ALL nearly equal, save for Cloudbusting from "Novembrine Waltz" which I just do not like.....the only song I feel just does not belong somehow. I don't know, just something about it........

Novembre kicks serious ass! Now, onto your opinions. Let us here them! Be sure to participate in the poll......

Novembre would be awesome if the singer learned how to properlly enunciate words when he sings. He just sounds like hes moaning and slurring his speach, and I can never tell what the hell he is saying. Nevertheless I still like them alot, just not nearly as much as Opeth.

Fucking Alcapoth, if it wasn't of you, I would probably never had the chance taste those gems.

Couple of months ago, you talked about how Novembrine Waltz was great and all so I end up downloading some sample and I was like: "shit, it's awesome". Then, I wanted that record so badly I called all stores in Quebec, which obviously didn't have it. Eventually, I ended up ordering it from The End even though I'm hardly trustful about internet orders...

Anyway I received the package 3 days ago...and damn I was simply speechless about the genious behind Novembre. I wouldn't say, for the moment, that they're equal to Opeth but I just shocked the way Novembrine Waltz grows on me actually...

I wouldn't be suprise to end up liking equally to Opeth in a couple of weeks...not at all

to be continued...

i think mikael's growl is slightly better then this guys.

but at the same time this guy is trying to do something different with his growl so i cant really compare

I only have Novembrine Waltz...but they're really good! except Cloudbusting, which is horrible. I like Opeth much better, though. they're just a different class.

I don't think they hold a torch to Opeth. To me the music drones way too much. I got excited when first hearing 'Tales from a winter to come' but as I discovered that the song went nowhere fast (ESPECIALLY when that piss-weak growl came about) I lost interest fast.

I just don't get any variety or emotion from it, despite listening countless times. I mean hell, I'm over the whole alternative/indie thing and Stabbing Westward still does more for me emotionally.

I can't understand how you could call this band equal to Opeth. Growling aint as good, the singing aint as good, the guitar riffs aint as good...the list goes on.

They're alright though, not a bad band, but no way are they hte equals to the almighty OPETH.

Yes, before someone points it out to me, I do know that this is just my opinion.

And one last thing, Opeth simply destroyed Novembre live too!

novembre is good, but i don't see how they are as good as some of you claim. i know its your opinion and all, but i still want to express why i can't see them in the same light as some of you.

like thorns of sorrow said, the clean vocals are ANNOYING, they are nasally and mumbled, i would like this band ten times more if the singer could sing clean. same thing goes for maudlin of the well, their clean vocals sound the same as novembre's and really hurt the overall sound of the band.

that being said, novembre's melodies are really ear pleasing, because they are simplistic, yet always moving, creating forward momentum in the songs, which i really like.

Keep in mind I LOVE THEM ALL nearly equal, save for Cloudbusting from "Novembrine Waltz" which I just do not like.....the only song I feel just does not belong somehow. I don't know, just something about it........
you said that you have the actual cd, right? well...look in the cd booklet and you'll see that cloudbusting is actually a cover song. and i agree, it completely ruins the mood of the album.

And yeah, seeing as how Cloudbusting is not even written by Novembre I can see how it is a cover....still, bottomline is I just don't care for it at all.

And, Tales from a Winter to Come is hardly their BEST song, man...IMO BTW, of course!

Also, his BEST clean vocals can be heard in "Child of the Twilight", near the beginning right after that STUNNING, fucking amazing riff! Seriously, if anyone thinks his clean vocals ARE NOT good here I'd be shocked beyond belief. Even the lyrics, and the way he sings the part....fuck, it brings chills down my spine......

The harmonies and guitar melodies Novembre create to me are almost every bit as good as the BEST of Opeth....high emotive music! This is why these two bands in my mind are FAR beyond any other metal band in my eyes......

But, I still have Katatonia, My Dying Bride & Agalloch in my top 5.....shit! Then there's Ulver & At the Gates, but still....Opeth & Novembre remain untouched!

And, I thought I'd mention that I wasn't TOO impressed by the other songs (besides Cold Blue Steel, Distances, & Come Pierrot considering they were the FIRST I have heard by the band off the net....) but it took at least 3-4 playthroughs that I came to IMMENSELY appreciate the band....it's weird that way....it's amazing how you can not like it much at first then later, you realize it is your favourite band.

Lastly....dammit, how could you NOT get excited about bands such as Opeth & Novembre. The tunes they create, as well as their AMAZING growls give me the chills unlike any other band. These guys are something else, man....seriously!

lol I know that song (child of the twilight) quite well actually and the first time i heard it, the first thing i thought was 'this would sound so much better with mikael singing'. So there you go. I think the Novembre singer's clean vocals are a bit shit to be honest.

Novembre's strength was never vocals. When I first heard them I often cringed at times while listening to their debut. So I really look forward to the remake of their debut since his vocals have progressed alot over time.
I can see why alot of people here don't like them tho.

Alot of people in this board have a different mentally and mood when it comes to listening to bands.
It seems alot of you value vocal ability and complicated riffs alot more than what actually comes out of the speakers. Try to captivate the mood instead of dissecting the riffs and vocal styles.

I listen to Novembre because of the mood they create with their music. I'm naturally a relaxed person, and I can enjoy their slow and moody pace. The fact they don't play alot of notes or growl deeper than the standard death metal growler or have an extremely powerful and clear clean voice doesn't bother me at all.
In fact I'm pretty amazed how they can simplify vocals and just whisper and sing without much effort and still captivate me.

I'm also impressed how they can play a riff over and over again, and still have me listening attentively. Their variations are very impressive. I believe their drummer is a vital part of their music. He makes everything stand out and ornaments everything perfectly.

Another thing I like about them is they don't suddenly sway or make a sudden "detour" so to speak. The music flows naturally and doesn't sound forced. Alot of times I'll listen to a band and you can tell exactly where they just decided to change riff and beat to something completely different. Almost like they cut and paste 2 different songs rather than work with what they had and come up with the best and smoothest transition.

Anyways I'm rambling.

As many of you already know, its just a matter of preference, but hopefully my post might shed a little light to the confused people who still wonder why we like them so much.

I like Novembre, but not as much as Opeth. Still, Novembre is one of my favourite bands atm. I agree, it's the mood they create that fascinates me. The music has an amazing melancholic atmosphere, still it's not too soft. But I think the riffs could have been more complex and I think the guitars don't sound too good on Novembrine Waltz; on Classica they are better, could have to do with the fact that Massimiliano regularly plays second guitar part there. On Waltz the guitar sound is a bit "empty" if you know what I mean. The growls are OK, and Carmelo certainly CAN sing very well, only he does not make enough use of his talent. At the beginning of "Child Of The Twilight" you can hear what he can do, but his pronounciation really is a bit weird (i.e. how he pronounces "cracks" :lol: ), but this is not too important I think. The problem with the clean vocals is that in most songs the voice is not loud enough, sounds like he kinda "hides" his voice, and so you don't understand much and the melodies don't sound as well as they could. But never the less - Good band!
BTW, does someone know if there's a story in Classica? Sometimes sounds like that because of the parallels between "Tales of a winter to come" and "Winter 1941", the theme of war and some other things... I just don't have the time to analyse it ;)