Oh shit, PP going head to head with Metalfest!

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
Damn, we're in BIG trouble now!! I just checked the Metalfest page and PP is going head to head with them!!!!!! :OMG:

By the way, "more info on Metalfest next month" and the fucking thing "is" next month. Good promoting, once again! :)

I can't figure out why he would re-schedule Metalfest the same weekend as PP. This makes no since at all. There is no way he can go head to head with PP and win. The bands he had booked were not that impressive in the first place. Some people will say that this year is an off year for PP, which I think is one of the best lineups we have had and more people will agree with me once they see the show, but still has 10 times more appeal than MetalFest.

I would like to have gone to MF, but there is no way I'm missing PP for that!

trx2k05 said:
Some people will say that this year is an off year for PP, which I think is one of the best lineups we have had and more people will agree with me once they see the show, but still has 10 times more appeal than MetalFest.

I think most people on this forum are very happy with the lineup and don't view it as an "off year." I don't need to wait until after the show to know it's gonna kick ass. So if by "agreeing with you" you mean "already share your perspective" then I agree with you.

It's usually a vastly different type of line-up than progpower anyway. If it's in a small venue rather than that huge arena he used to hold it in he might do okay. Honestly the 1,000 people at Progpower (including crew/fans/bands) will not likely have a huge impact on the show.

What has a greater impact on his shows is the inability to stay on schedule, a bad reputation, and lack of quality bands.

They don't have a line-up period!!!
I have gone to a number of Milwaukee Metalfests.
There are simply TOO many bands which keeps things off-schedule the whole day.
They let any band play that is willing to pay the $1000 buy-in.
That's how he raises the $$$ in advance for the out of town bands.

You do have to give the fest some credit, as they debuted MANY band's first US appearances, such as Mayhem, Children of Bodom, Opeth, Naglfar, etc, etc.

That fest has always been more targeted towards black and death metal, though they have had some US power metal bands, like Cage, Jag Panzer, Seven Witches, etc.

There is no way the fest will take place.

Last year he wrote this long essay on why he had to cancel. He blamed it on the number of other competing concerts going on around town that summer (including BON JOVI in Milwaukee!! :lol: Becauase SO many BON JOVI fans were on the fence between that show and catching all the bands on the RELAPSE RECORDS stage.. :lol:)

Jasonic said:
They don't have a line-up period!!!
I have gone to a number of Milwaukee Metalfests.
There are simply TOO many bands which keeps things off-schedule the whole day.
They let any band play that is willing to pay the $1000 buy-in.
That's how he raises the $$$ in advance for the out of town bands.

You do have to give the fest some credit, as they debuted MANY band's first US appearances, such as Mayhem, Children of Bodom, Opeth, Naglfar, etc, etc.

That fest has always been more targeted towards black and death metal, though they have had some US power metal bands, like Cage, Jag Panzer, Seven Witches, etc.

There is no way the fest will take place.

Last year he wrote this long essay on why he had to cancel. He blamed it on the number of other competing concerts going on around town that summer (including BON JOVI in Milwaukee!! :lol: Becauase SO many BON JOVI fans were on the fence between that show and catching all the bands on the RELAPSE RECORDS stage.. :lol:)

I have a hard time buying that most Bon Jovi fans are on the fence about a death metal festival and Jon Bon! :lol:

woosta said:
Damn, we're in BIG trouble now!! I just checked the Metalfest page and PP is going head to head with them!!!!!! :OMG:

By the way, "more info on Metalfest next month" and the fucking thing "is" next month. Good promoting, once again! :)

What if ProgPower was going head to head with that juggernaut of a festival (damn if I can remember the name) - taht was gonna come around - with all the little bands that were going to book big basketball & hockey arenas (well until they progressed to filling football stadiums). You guys konw which one I am talking about - dammit, this getting old thing sux (I turned 40 yesterday, I think, but I cant remember for sure).

jeff

The Evil Darkness Tour is ON for 2007!!!! Their forum is active and they still have the *same* plans: 1 day, 1 stage, 14 bands, 20 minute set changes overs for lower bands, dinner break, 9a-midnight, buses that will come and get you etc.

Do not have Progpower on the same weekend as ANY Evil Darkness dates. YOu've put in too much ahrd work into making this a world class event and I just fear that the Evil Darkness tour is going to take a ll the metalheads and their moeny away from ProgPower :) (If anyone cannot tell, I am joking here). YOu know it is weird - I think I sighned up for the "street team" back when you first posted about this supposed tour - but darn if they have been keeping me updated.
I bet they have a big surprise planned - maybe they will steal Black Sabbath from the Ozzfest tour for next year - that would teach people like Sharon Osbourne or Glenn Harveston or other power brokers of the metal promoting community who the REAL kings are LOL

jeff

Harvester said:
The Evil Darkness Tour is ON for 2007!!!! Their forum is active and they still have the *same* plans: 1 day, 1 stage, 14 bands, 20 minute set changes overs for lower bands, dinner break, 9a-midnight, buses that will come and get you etc.

I've GOT to have a long talk with Chris C. at Dragon*Con; he's always there.

The Milwaukee fest is a total joke. Schedule coordination was virtually non-existent, with some bands seeing as little as 10 minutes to play a set. Others went over the alotted time slot and left the band on que to not play at all. Even headliners were lucky to squeeze 45 minutes in! And that's just the beginning. Ever dreamed up a nightmare metalhead stereotype? This place is filled with them - there are probably nicer people in prisons. Being more biased towards the extreme areas of metal, many 'softer' bands that are more suitable for a ProgPower bill were outright boo'd and heckled during their performances. And anyone looking for decent sound quality, it will not be found here; it's never a good sign when you're having to yell at the top of your lungs just to talk to the vendors several hundred (yes) feet away from the stage. I'm amazed I can still hear after this fest, even with earplugs - and what I did hear was a wall of noise. Bad atmosphere, bad fans, and a bad package. It's hard for me to recommend this fest to anyone.. I'd certainly not go again, even for free. There's no denying the history of this gig, but my experiences with it have been beyond subpar. ProgPower's a total festival done right and I don't see the threat of MM affecting sales in the least. I'd honestly go to a Kenny G concert over Milwaukee again.