Oh those wacky Muslims!

MadeInNewJersey said:
It's painfully obvious you a) live on the west coast, and b) didn't know anyone who died that day
What would that matter? Oh and by the way, I do know someone who died that day so there you go.

we ARE talking about the internet here thought right? if youre offended by something on the internet, its time to get off

You know what? The Muslims who are reacting so hardly to these political cartoons are a bunch of children! What makes them think they can impose their religious doctrine on secular news agencies? Yes, I understand that it is forbidden to print images of Allah or the Prohets, but burning embassies to prevent other, non-Muslim countries from doing so is fucking stupid. They can call it racism if they'd like, but by reacting so vehemently, they're proving the cartoons right. I for one would not care if anyone took the piss out of something I believed in, especially in a cartoon. Have they ever seen South Park? Wasn't Team America: World Police a succesful (albeit HORRIBLE) movie last year? WTF

There is no way I'm going to be selective as to what offensive humoUr I find funny, and which is the "over the line" type, because that would be hypocritical. Alright look, there have been a few times when someone has made an altzheimer's joke and my gut reaction is to get pissed off (my grandfather had that for years before he died and it was an extremely tough time for myself and my mom, but that's another story), but even that now I say "eh who cares" and maybe even laugh at said jokes now. I'm not about to tell dead baby jokes and then get butthurt because someone offends me, if anything I consider that an accomplishment.

It was a close friend's uncle that died. Or maybe he didn't, I dunno. Either way he was back there and for several days nobody knew what happened.

Look, I come from a town of 11,000 people. 13 of which died that day, including 2 people I went to high school with. A very good friend's cousin Paul died that day. My college roommate's sister died that day.

It's just different to me, I simply cannot and won't ever find humor in it.

I'm not saying you have to, and if I was in your situation, I probably wouldn't either! But you can't tell someone else they aren't allowed to laugh at it because I'm sure you've laughed at something that was a great personal tragedy to someone else, we've all done that.

NADatar said:
I'm not saying you have to, and if I was in your situation, I probably wouldn't either! But you can't tell someone else they aren't allowed to laugh at it because I'm sure you've laughed at something that was a great personal tragedy to someone else, we've all done that.

Words of wisdom. I'm beginning to see a trend with NAD and these kind of things.

but here we're talking about a tragedy that killed thousands of people, while the main subject is a simple caricature of some prophet. Big difference IMO.

2 points: I'm not telling anyone what they should & should not laugh at. But I'm well within my rights to adjust my level of respect for someone who does laugh at 9/11-related "humor."

Just like someone is well within his/her rights to adjust his/her level of respect for me, should I laugh at something off-color that means more to that person. I'm sure I have, though offhand I can't really think of a particular instance.

MadeInNewJersey said:
2 points: I'm not telling anyone what they should & should not laugh at. But I'm well within my rights to adjust my level of respect for someone who does laugh at 9/11-related "humor."

Or like how someone might adjust their level of respect for you based on you caring whether people laugh at something you find tragic. If I laughed at a lemon, hurt the feelings of someone who's husband had drowned in a tragic lemonade-making accident, and that person was offended, I'd probably be inclinded to think "haha, fuck that oversensitive douche." That's just me. Take Erik for example. He seems to be able to handle people making "your mum" jokes even though his mom is actually in fact dead.

There have even been demonstrations in Norwegian schools, where students have demanded a public excuse from the Prime Minister. Fantastic. No one really gives a shit if some satire mag publishes Jesus caricatures (granted, the devout fundamentalsit Christians don't approve of it, but at least they don't turn to violence), but if someone even jokes about Islam or the prophet, all hell breaks loose. The typical answer if you ask a muslim living in Norway what he thinks about the reactions in the Middle East is something like "Burning down the embassy was perhaps taking things a bit too far, but you insulted our prophet, and that's the worst thing you can do - of course we had to avenge this." Whatever happened to freedom of speech..

trvepanda1xx.jpg

again, people take things way too far. everyone needs to realize it is healthy and good to laugh at themselves and be made fun of. fundamentalism is just not healthy

MajestikMøøse said:
haha this is amazing.

A cartoon is made to protest Islamic extremism, and what do they do in response...?

it wasnt even a cartoon - it was 12 different portraits of the prophet mohammed. and yes, their response is totally out of hand. the newspaper has actually written an apology on their web site www.jp.dk but nothing seems to help. the moslem fundamentalists probably wont be happy until they get a full-on war between the moslem community and the western world.

i do understand that their religious beliefs has been violated, and im very sorry about that. honestly, i think the newspaper should have apologized properly a long time ago, out of respect to the moslems. remember, its almost 3 months ago since the pictures were published!

but that still doesnt justify all the rioting and shit that happened recently.

one of the problems about this whole situation is all the lies involved - for instance yesterday there was someone had spread the the rumour that a group of danes had burned the koran, which allegedly lead to the burning of the danish embassy in syria. a couple of danish imam's has also been known to travel the middle east recently and spread the word about the pictures, including some that they made up themselves, fx. one where mohammed is portrayed as a pig. all this just to start the conflict.

we shouldnt forget all the moderate moslems though, who does not want all that shit. a lot of good people will suffer because of extremist assholes.