Ok so I'm going to make some Impulses.

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
I suck at searching old topics so don't bash me for that.

What do I need? From what I've understood I'm supposed to use a sinewave and play it through my setup. In this case into the return loop of my savage.
What type of signal should I connect to the return? Just straight in from the soundcard or should I do it with a DI-box? Can someone hook me up with the sinewave.

Next step would be to record it all to a new track?

The people who help me out will get the resulted impulse. It's a Savage poweramp to a V30 cab miced with both Md421 and sm57.

Wanna hear the original sound recorded check out this:
http://www.feared.se/audio/2.godlike.mp3

I have sent the signal directly from the souncard into the amp's return with no problem.
I believe the power amps input is like -20dbv , so make sure you dont run the signal pretty hot there. I would start by pluggin your guitar into the amp and hear that level, then try to match it when sending the signal from the DAW (that means the sine should sound at a similar volume than when you play with your guitar), obviously start from min and slowly moving the fader up.

Download voxengo's deconvolver and generate a sweep. Just make sure that you don't sample rate convert btw stages. That means: IF u generated a 44.1/24 sweep. then record at 44.1/24 and export at 44.1/24
Make sure also to leave a little gap from start to end, in other words, if the sweep is 10 secs, put something like 100 ms at the beggining of the RECORDED sweep and also the end, but leave the original 10sec when deconvolving.
I hope its not so confusing

Also, the longer the sweep, the better resolution you get, so do some testing and use the one that you like.
And.. play with the MP (minimun phase) setting on it, depeding on the sweep u gerenated you may not get optimun results, just try both and watch the curve that looks "right" (it should be a curve going down and with no gaps)

I wrote a tutorial some time ago...
Here is the link:
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1745

I don't think that a DI-Box is necessary, you can use the soundcard output...
Beware the clipping of the signal on the fx-return buffer and the mic preamp...

Instead of using a sinesweep, you could try with a pink noise or whatever works for you...

I would record 3 separate impulses, one per mic and one using both together...

Thanks for the effort, it's pretty easy, you'll see.

For any question, just ask...

(...and I fucking love your riffing/playing style and songwriting btw, congratulations)

I can't wait for them. Your tracks with the Savage on them are monstrous... even if one can get as much as the power amp section, that's something :)

Speaking of which, is it possible to get one of your raw, unprocessed rhythm tracks from that song? I can't think of a better reference for metal rhythm guitars!

Thanks for going through all the trouble.

Damn Hades, that sounds great! What preamp did you use? Palm mutes are a little undefined (though that might just be inherent to impulses, I haven't used 'em that much), but really, that's bitchin' - and thanks a lot Goddamn Guitar, the Savage has always been one of my favorite amps and that fucking rules! What cab did you use?

Thanks man! That was Revalver MKIII... a bit overgained I must say

I'm interested too on what cab model it is...

I guess you're using it within Revalver RIR right?
I don't know why it doesn't work with it, using all the other convolution programs (KeFIR, Boogex, SIR, Revolverb) it's fine, and there is no weird ambience sound going on... that's why I didn't cut it...

Try this one:
http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/42577/Impulses/SavageRIR.wav
I have rerecorded the sinesweep sending the signar through KeFIR and then I deconvolved the result... it has the same length...
It works with RIR, but turn off the "Resample" switch, or it will gonna sound like crap... I don't know why...